How 'bout them Pistons!

Darrel Manson

Gary Payton will finally get his championship ring. Amazing what a lot of money and a lot of ego will getcha. He's the Achilles of the NBA. (See my Troy review for clarification...here.)

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I cannot deny how good the team is-but they are to smug and get away with so much during the season they clearly don't like when they are actually held accountable.

I was glad to see the Wolves last as long as the did.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I cant stand the lakers. They seem to scripted almost. Haha if that makes sence. I dont know in my school there is a big hate for them right now. We are sick of them i guess. I wanted New Jersey to win BUt guess not.

"Whos more of the fool,the fool or the fool who follows". Obi-Wan Kenobi

Brent M.

The Pistons can't afford to take nights off on home court if they even want to look respectable in this series

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Sunday night at 8:30pm EDT. This brings back sooo many memories! Today is our 15th anniversery. We spent various evenings of our honeymoon watching the '89 Finals off by ourselves.... Against LA. Go DOD. Go Pistons!

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Guest Russell Lucas

Nice, Rich. We just celebrated our 11th anniversary last weekend, and I remember that the week we were honeymooning in 1993 was the week of the Stanley Cup Finals. The Penguins won in '91 and '92 and looked to have their most formidable team yet after winning over a dozen games in a row to end the regular season. #66 was recovering from chemotherapy and, with the Kings winning in the West, a 66-99 Dream Finals looked to be in the cards.

Except it wasn't, when the Islanders upset the Penguins, winning the seventh game in overtime in Pgh. Worst sports (spectator) defeat of my life. I had driven the hour to get home to watch the game with my dad the night before my college commencement, and it was a dour ride back late at night. Still, I ended up being really glad the Finals weren't a potential distraction when our honeymoon came around two weeks later.

Now who'd have thought that the lowly "Department of Defense" would draw first blood? So Shaq' and Kobe can't do it alone....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Russell Lucas

Not an NBA fan, but I watched the last quarter and took in the sweet satisfaction of the overexposed Lakers meeting their demise.

Hope you enjoyed it, Rich.

Would have loved to have gloated last night but my DSL went all screwy. Sadly, I was tired and fell asleep during the third quarter when the 'Stones went up 10 for the last time. Would have loved to have gone into nearby downtown Royal Oak for a celebration. The streets were packed. Dena kept calling downstairs to open the champagne (we'd agreed on that but neither was going to mention it until victory was assured so as not to jinx anything), or to see if I caught any of the celebration coverage. I'm told I answered in the affirmative quite regularly. Am I really getting that old?

Personnally, I am delighted if only because a TEAM won so convincingly. If they stay at or near the top for a while, this might change the game from below the way that Jordan did when he got hot. The NBA needs a lot more of an unselfish game to sell. All of a sudden the sports media have closed down the Jackson-Zen-Guru agit prop and has turned to constantly defining what Larry Brown means by "playing the game right". I'm a cynic, I don't expect Brown to stay here for a long time, but I hope the kids coming up get an overdose of this.

Finally, this is my kind of B ball. My favorite sports term is "NO". I just love defense in almost any sport.