Sign in to follow this  
Darryl A. Armstrong

What are the odds...?

What are the odds that I should have the unfortunate luck to view two films in one day that include a scene where a person bites off another person's finger and eats it? 8O SPOILERS

The two films were Lucky McKee's May and Bill Plympton's Mutant Aliens -- neither of which I care to recommend, although May did have a few things going for it.

I find myself quoting The Princess Bride quite a bit these days and so I will continue the trend and say, "INCONCEIVABLE!!"

Sorry are you asking what are the odds of it happening on any given day, given that it happened yesterday, or just the odds of it happening in one day (assuming that day wasn't groundhog day).

Also is this the odds with repetition or without.

Assuming it's the later in both instances and that your film selection was just random (and not conditioned by other factors) then the odds are

{[(no. of film where a person bites off another person's finger and eats it)^2]-1}/{[(total no of films available to you to view in the day in question )^2]-1}

Was that what you were after?

Matt

Heh. I wonder if you are being led by the spirit to consider a diet of fingers, Mr. Armstrong.

I must admit, I had to pause and puzzle at my own coincidence recently: that during my visit to Chicago I would see three movies, and in a complete reversal of expectations, I would DISLIKE the foreign art flick, but I would LOVE the two zombie flicks.

MattPage:

Was that what you were after?

:roll:

Jeffrey:

I must admit, I had to pause and puzzle at my own coincidence recently: that during my visit to Chicago I would see three movies, and in a complete reversal of expectations, I would DISLIKE the foreign art flick, but I would LOVE the two zombie flicks.

These sorts of coincidences hapen to me quite a bit. But I suppose when one views the amount of movies many of us here, at least, do it's bound to happen. Actually, working out the math as Matt did, the chances of my particular experience don't seem so enormous. I was limited to the selections on DVD at the Blockbuster I was at that I haven't already seen. There couldn't have been more than 200 movies that fit that description...

Re: May

I really hoped for a great horror movie with May--Roger Ebert's review was glowing and it got me excited about seeing the film since good horror is both great fun to watch and really hard to come by.

May is stylish and visually interesting--the performances are also pretty good, but there was no suspence--none. I didn't care about any of these people, and I didn't wonder what was going to happen next. When a horror film lacks suspence, you've got a problem.

Plus, I think the whole doll thing was all over the place. Is the doll her friend that she needs to replace? That fits the conclusion. Is it possessed and driving her to kill? If so, why did she continue? It just bugged me. I don't mind some ambiguity, but I think it would have been more effective to make it a question of whether the doll's voice and the cracking sounds are in May's head or if they are real. I felt like the doll was just something the filmmakers thought was cool and creepy (they're right about the creepy) and wanted to use in cool and creepy ways without ever thinking about whether its use was coherent.

Ah, well. I'm now hoping 28 Days Later, which I probably won't see until the DVD comes out, will be the good horror flick I was hoping for with May

--Teresa

Guest Russell Lucas

Teresa, if you have multi-region capability, 28 Days Later has already been released in a Region 2 DVD edition.

teresakayep:

I felt like the doll was just something the filmmakers thought was cool and creepy (they're right about the creepy) and wanted to use in cool and creepy ways without ever thinking about whether its use was coherent.

And was it just me or did her lazy eye switch from being her left eye to her right eye a couple times? It wasn't explained either, unless I missed it.

The same thing is my favorite continuity problem in a Chuck Norris movie from the 80s. I can't remember the title off the top of my head, but the villan in the film had an eye-patch that kept switching back and forth between his right and left eyes. I remember the first time I saw that movie (yes, I have seen it at least 3 times) I was in stitches.