DVD and Blu-ray deals

102 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know we have the Barnes & Noble coupon thread, but I thought we could use a dedicated all-purpose deal thread.

Right now, Amazon has a limited-time sale on Criterion's Essential Art House box sets (Vols. 1, 3, and 4) for $25 a piece.

Edited by du Garbandier

Posted · Report post

Today only, Amazon has a sale on the only Twilight-titled entity I have ever cared about: the complete Twilight Zone on blu-ray and dvd.

Posted · Report post

Today only starting at noon ET, Criterion is having a 50% off sale with the coupon code SWAK.

Man...it would be awesome if I did not get an error message everytime I tried to select a title. I am trying different browsers, my iPad...nothing but error messages.

Edited by Nezpop

Posted · Report post

You're not the only one.

Posted · Report post

Criterion e-mailed me back saying they were experiencing unusually high volume traffic. (wonder why?) :)

Posted · Report post

After enduring many error messages, I've ordered La Jetée/Sans Soleil on blu-ray. I am a happy collector.

Posted · Report post

Yeah...I managed three titles...I may still cave and get the Wings of Desire blu-ray...

Posted · Report post

I still get error messages.

But why am I even looking?

After enduring many error messages, I've ordered La Jetée/Sans Soleil on blu-ray. I am a happy collector.

I had actually ordered La Jetée/Sans Soleil last week at full price. Rats. But I did manage to pick up Empire of Passion and an Angel at My Table. One Really has to fight his way through to get this deal though.

Edited by Attica

Posted · Report post

I have not been able to access the site either. You would think that Criterion would have the ability to handle the volume if they are going to offer a deal.

Posted · Report post

Shipping costs to Canada make sales like this and the B&N sale fairly prohibitive to me. Very sad. I've been eyeing that LA JETÉE/SANS SOLEIL set.

Posted · Report post

They gave me an additional $10 discount because I had made a Criterion wish list on their site. Nice.

Posted · Report post

Shipping costs to Canada make sales like this and the B&N sale fairly prohibitive to me. Very sad. I've been eyeing that LA JETÉE/SANS SOLEIL set.

If you agree to recompense me after the fact and are willing to tolerate cheapest-rate USPS shipment from me, tell me what you want and I'll get it.

Posted · Report post

Or, possibly even better, Anders, you could have the order sent to my mailbox in Blaine, Washington, and I could forward the discs to you once I've picked them up and driven them back across the border into Canada. (My four-year-old goes to a preschool that's only about 15-20 minutes' drive from the American border, so I've had a lot of parcels sent to this address in the States over the past year and a half.)

Posted · Report post

This is what I was going for. And apparently everyone else because when I finally got through tonight it was sold out.

Posted · Report post

This is what I was going for. And apparently everyone else because when I finally got through tonight it was sold out.

I just received this E-mail from Criterion.

Dear Criterion newsletter subscribers,

It’s been a frustrating day for many of our fans—and for us. While a lot of customers have been able to successfully place orders, many have not. We apologize for any difficulties this has caused. We’ve done some work on the site, and it is functioning more efficiently, but certainly not as well as we’d like. Unfortunately, we anticipate that it will remain slow for the duration of the sale.

Many of you were on Criterion.com at the same time trying to get your orders in on certain titles before we ran out of them, which caused a major site slowdown. To alleviate this pressure, after the sale ends we will announce a separate code to honor sale pricing on any titles that go out of stock.

And keep in mind that although the site is not operating at full speed, you should be able to place your order tonight with a bit of patience. Just enter the promotional code SWAK on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to get 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP) on all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs before noon EST on February 15th.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. We appreciate it!

The Criterion Collection

Posted · Report post

It works better if you use Internet Explorer for some reason (it's a lot slower, but I couldn't get the site to work with Chrome at all).

What should I get?

Eclipse Series 3: Late Ozu? Days of Heaven? The Thin Red Line?

For the life of me I can't find the "add to list" button to add films to a wish list.

Posted · Report post

Picked up the Blu-Ray box set for Three Colors. but it took me a few tries.

Posted · Report post

I just received this E-mail from Criterion.

Dear Criterion newsletter subscribers,

It’s been a frustrating day for many of our fans—and for us. While a lot of customers have been able to successfully place orders, many have not. We apologize for any difficulties this has caused. We’ve done some work on the site, and it is functioning more efficiently, but certainly not as well as we’d like. Unfortunately, we anticipate that it will remain slow for the duration of the sale.

Many of you were on Criterion.com at the same time trying to get your orders in on certain titles before we ran out of them, which caused a major site slowdown. To alleviate this pressure, after the sale ends we will announce a separate code to honor sale pricing on any titles that go out of stock.

And keep in mind that although the site is not operating at full speed, you should be able to place your order tonight with a bit of patience. Just enter the promotional code SWAK on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to get 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP) on all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs before noon EST on February 15th.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. We appreciate it!

The Criterion Collection

So is the new code going to go out to all newsletter subscribers?

After a bit of trouble (I couldn't get it to work at all early int he day) I picked up The Thin Red Line and the Three Colors trilogy on blu-ray, but I'd like La Jetée )which looks fascinating although I haven’t seen it yet – I just saw 12 Monkeys though).

I expect so. Like the other code it will probably be up on their website as well. If I receive an E-mail about it I'll post it here.

Edited by Attica

Posted · Report post

I picked up Six Moral Tales and my addiction to the Criterion Collection just doubled in strength. I had to refresh every single Criterion Collection webpage I visited about 5-6 times. I don't know, maybe that just made it more tantalizing, what with its playing hard to get and all. Come to think of it, I also probably have to go back and double check that I didn't end up ordering 5-6 copies of Six Moral Tales.

I picked up Six Moral Tales and my addiction to the Criterion Collection just doubled in strength. I had to refresh every single Criterion Collection webpage I visited about 5-6 times. I don't know, maybe that just made it more tantalizing, what with its playing hard to get and all. Come to think of it, I also probably have to go back and double check that I didn't end up ordering 5-6 copies of Six Moral Tales.

I probably had to refresh 10 times just to sign in. I also was wondering if I had ordered several copies of my DVD's but I only received one confirmation E-mail, so I feel fairly safe. Just think though, if people are ordering several copies of the DVD's because of Criterions website problems, then Criterions got a real mess in their hands, to clean up.

Edited by Attica

Posted · Report post

Just received this.

Wow! That was a crazy twenty-four hours.

We were so excited for our Valentine’s Day sale, which was supposed to be a chance to show off the new My Criterion features of our website. But as soon as the sale began, we knew we had a problem. With the initial flood of traffic, the site ground to a virtual halt, and our developers spent the day disabling many of the new features in order to speed up the site. The performance improved but still isn’t where we’d like it to be when there are many people using the site at the same time.

We know this has been a frustrating experience for many of you, so please know we take our customer service very seriously and will respond to all of your e-mail questions. Our customer support team is typing away as you are reading this, so hang in there! Also, a big thank-you to the people who wrote in to say they had a positive experience during the sale. Your kind words mean a lot!

If there was something you wanted but you were unable to get your order through before our stock ran out, now’s your chance. We’ve set up a promo code that will allow you to backorder any title that went out of stock before the sale ended, and we'll honor the sale price. No need to rush to the site; the code will be active until 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Thursday, February 16. Quantities are limited to one copy of each title/edition per customer. Please note that we cannot combine these backorders with previously placed orders.

Just enter the promotional code REDO on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to apply the discount. Please bear in mind that the discount is only for backordered items (you will see a “Temporarily out of stock” message when adding them to your shopping cart). Please note it will take a few weeks for these items to be back in stock.

Thanks again for your patience and support!

The Criterion Collection