DVD and Blu-ray deals

du Garbandier

Groupon has a deal this week on a 1-year Film Movement subscription for $85 (normally $192).

Are you a subscriber? Browsing through the films I'm not seeing anything I recognize - but maybe they're just gems most of us have never heard of.

http://www.amazon.co...9325&pf_rd_i=20

The Godfather trilogy is on blu-ray (the Coppola approved restoration) for $25.

As someone (to my shame) who hasn't seen it: Is it worth it?

I presume it's more than a typical, violent mafia movie, but I'm always hesitant buying something I haven't seen.

Edited by Timothy Zila

@Timzila

"It is the business of fiction to embody mystery through manners, and mystery is a great embarrassment to the modern mind." (Flannery O'Connor, Mystery and Manners).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Godfather trilogy ... As someone (to my shame) who hasn't seen it: Is it worth it? I presume it's more than a typical, violent mafia movie ...

YES

Cancel your appointments. Clear your schedule. Open up a bottle of wine and enjoy. (Assuming this wasn't a joke.)

Groupon has a deal this week on a 1-year Film Movement subscription for $85 (normally $192).

Are you a subscriber? Browsing through the films I'm not seeing anything I recognize - but maybe they're just gems most of us have never heard of.

I'm not a subscriber, but I've watched a lot of Film Movement titles on Netflix (they have a streaming deal--the movies show up there a few months after subscribers get them). Most of the movies are pretty good, and a few (like Troubled Water) are some of my favorite movies from anywhere.

Film Movement's business model is to distribute movies (mostly foreign) that wouldn't be available in the country otherwise.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Film Movement's business model is to distribute movies (mostly foreign) that wouldn't be available in the country otherwise.

Ummm...yeah, not so much. Almost all the titles are on Netflix streaming. It's just a matter if you want them a couple weeks in advance of the general public. I had a subscription for three years (an x-mas gift from a family member) and ultimately told the person who gave it to me that I would be better served with a gift subscription to Hulu Plus (for crietrion) or Netflix streaming (which carries most of the Film Movement titles eventually).

Eight of the twelve films I got last year are currently on my shelf, unopened. One (The Screaming Man) is something I do, in fact, want to watch but which is available now at my local video store (a Blockbuster). All the others from the last two years got donated to my school's library. I never received a DVD of that time where I wanted to see the film more than once (i.e. where it mattered that I could own the DVD as opposed to just see/rent the film).

Just one man's opinion--but it is from someone who watches a LOT and actively seeks out foreign-language films and smaller films from festivals. Pretty much the only film I ever got from FM that I was really anxious to see was Munyurangabo, and that's available on Netflix streaming now, too.

Edited by kenmorefield

More Film Movement essentials: Munyurangabo. Lake Tahoe. Ostrov (The Island).

Here's my article about the Film Movement vision, which begins with a review of Ostrov and includes interviews with Film Movement heads.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

More Film Movement essentials: Munyurangabo. Lake Tahoe. Ostrov (The Island).

Here's my article about the Film Movement vision, which begins with a review of Ostrov and includes interviews with Film Movement heads.

Jeff, just out of curiosity, do you actually pay for FM titles or do they send you them as complementary screeners?

Edited by kenmorefield

For a year or two after I wrote that article, they sent me complementary screeners. I can't afford a subscription, even with a coupon, but I continue to seek out their films on Netflix and elsewhere.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

More precisely ... YE

But a very emphatic YE

S for completists only.

Oh, fiddlesticks to both of you. No, #3 is not as good as #1 and #2. OEDIPUS AT COLONUS isn't as good as OEDIPUS REX or ANTIGONE either. Yes, the story is more complicated and intrigue-y than needed, and yes, it's incomprehensible without having seen 1 and 2. But G-3 is still very good, Coppola was just re-energized by being back in the GODFATHER universe, Pacino hadn't yet become a terrible actor, and there's a star-making performance from Andy Garcia (best part of the film). It's a fitting capper too -- like a mirror story of 1, an old man who wants to distance himself from his past and sees his children varyingly destroyed by and carrying on the family "legacy."

S-man

Yeah ... well ... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there on that one.

More precisely ... YE

But a very emphatic YE

S for completists only.

Oh, fiddlesticks to both of you. No, #3 is not as good as #1 and #2. OEDIPUS AT COLONUS isn't as good as OEDIPUS REX or ANTIGONE either. Yes, the story is more complicated and intrigue-y than needed, and yes, it's incomprehensible without having seen 1 and 2. But G-3 is still very good, Coppola was just re-energized by being back in the GODFATHER universe, Pacino hadn't yet become a terrible actor, and there's a star-making performance from Andy Garcia (best part of the film). It's a fitting capper too -- like a mirror story of 1, an old man who wants to distance himself from his past and sees his children varyingly destroyed by and carrying on the family "legacy."

S-man

David Thomson also has kind words for The Godfather III in his New Biographical Dictionary of Film, FWIW.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

The Godfather trilogy ... As someone (to my shame) who hasn't seen it: Is it worth it? I presume it's more than a typical, violent mafia movie ...

YES

Cancel your appointments. Clear your schedule. Open up a bottle of wine and enjoy. (Assuming this wasn't a joke.)

It wasn't a joke, although I didn't seriously expect anyone to say no (except, as did indeed happen, to joke about the third film). I posted as much to let other people know it was on sale for such a good price in case they didn't have it than to ask if I should get it.

@Timzila

"It is the business of fiction to embody mystery through manners, and mystery is a great embarrassment to the modern mind." (Flannery O'Connor, Mystery and Manners).

It's essential viewing. I think its reputation is probably overblown (to stake my ground in the ongoing debate, I'm more of a ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA guy than a GODFATHER guy), but there's a great deal to admire about the GODFATHER films. Particularly the first two, though I find the third an interesting and admirable, if nevertheless uneven, addition to the series.

Edited by Ryan H.

• 3 weeks later...

Deep Discount's Daily Deep Deal is for Criterion's Last Temptation of Christ on blu that comes out next week. Half off, plus if you use promo code NET5 you get an extra 5 dollars off.

40 dollar Criterion bluray, for 15 bucks? Pretty good deal. Today only, so I hope you see this in time if this interests you.

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν.

• 3 months later...

Criterion is highlighting movies that "Would Make a Stone Cry" this week, which means they're 50% off and streaming free on Hulu:

Au Revoir Les Enfants

Ikiru

Ordet

Sansho the Bailiff

Umberto D.

Umberto D. is the only one of those I haven't seen yet, and I like all the others on the list a lot.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Barnes and Noble will supposedly be starting their usual July sale tomorrow with 50% off all Criterion DVDs/Blu-rays.

I've got 3 titles waiting on hold for me. Been waiting patiently with my birthday money since May.

Night of the Hunter

Black Narcissus

Being John Malkovich

Barring any must-have titles coming between now and then (admittedly likely), I'll be saving for the two Dardennes releases in November.

• 2 months later...

Just received this E-mail from Criterion.

Flash Sale: 50% off All Blu-rays and DVDs!

For only twenty-four hours, until noon tomorrow, all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs will be 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP). Just enter the promotional code FLASH on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to apply the discount.

If you need some help deciding what to buy (and have two and a half minutes), check out this video.

The code expires at noon tomorrow, so don’t delay!

Yep.

I just got Days of Heaven,The Royal Tenebaums, and Breathless on Blu-Ray, as well as the Essential Art House version of Ikiru, which I've never been able to see (every single copy available through the public copy is unplayable).

@Timzila

Sigh. Why can't Criterion do these specials at the beginning of the month, when I have money, rather than near the end of it, when I'm broke? :)

A half hour after I ordered I remembered that Criterion just released the Dardenne brothers first two films a month or two ago . . . Sighs. Not that I have more money to spend on Criterion right now anyway.

@Timzila

• 1 month later...

Question for you folks with Barnes & Noble membership, spurred by the 50% off sale on Criterion titles.

If I get a membership with a qualifying order, and then make another order to get the rest of the titles I'd like will I get 10% off on that second order?

Or does it not apply to sales like this . . .

@Timzila