DVD and Blu-ray deals

du Garbandier

Question for you folks with Barnes & Noble membership, spurred by the 50% off sale on Criterion titles.

If I get a membership with a qualifying order, and then make another order to get the rest of the titles I'd like will I get 10% off on that second order?

Or does it not apply to sales like this . . .

If you purchase the DVDs in-store, you'll get an extra 10% off. If you order online, all you get is free shipping.

Edited by Ryan H.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Barnes & Noble biannual Criterion sale is here again. And not a moment too soon!

Time to shell out for that

And maybe the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGOaQLVZIlY. Edited by Nathaniel

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Kinda bummed that Pasolini's Gospel According to St. Matthew is OOP (unless I shell out for the box set...like THAT is gonna happen).

ETA: I just purchased a non-Criterion version of MP's Life of Brian and City of God, to get my Summer Clearance Sale Books over the $25 free-shipping mark. The Criterion edition actually looked like it had less features than the version I got.

Edited by Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

I'd like to finally get the Eclipse series George Bernard Shaw on Film. And then since I have reason to want a spine number in the 100s, perhaps Cries and Whispers...Spartacus...Sullivan's Travels...the Carl Theodor Dreyer box set (but that costs so much even on sale)...Wild Strawberries...8 1/2...or Solaris. This will take some thought.

Nick Alexander wrote:

: ETA: I just purchased a non-Criterion version of MP's Life of Brian and City of God, to get my Summer Clearance Sale Books over the $25 free-shipping mark. The Criterion edition actually looked like it had less features than the version I got.

The Criterion version of Life of Brian, you mean? I bought the Blu-Ray version of Life of Brian partly for the better picture quality (the Criterion DVD was one of the earlier DVDs and wasn't exactly state-of-the-art even by current DVD standards) and partly because it had some new bonus features, but I can't recall if it had *everything* that the Criterion DVD had.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I did a comparison of both DVDs (I won't upgrade to Blu-Ray until our DVD player dies; darn you you ripoff motion picture industry you). The Criterion edition had an hour-long making of video that the "ultimate" edition had didn't... but the Ultimate edition had an audio walk thru of an earlier screenplay. Both had two sets of commentary tracks, with all remaining members of MP.

I had no need for the making-of video, as I already own the MP six-episode "now the truth can be told" box set, where they dedicated a full episode on it anyway.

It's been years since I've seen it, I was a teenager when I first did. I look forward to revisiting it.

Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander wrote:

: The Criterion edition had an hour-long making of video that the "ultimate" edition had didn't...

Ah, right. I believe the Criterion's hour-long making-of was produced back when the film was brand new, so it has a certain archival value, if you're into that sort of thing. But I thought the brand-new making-of on the Blu-Ray was also quite good.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...

The Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble has been extended through Aug. 5. (I'm not sure what the original cutoff day was.)

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I did a comparison of both DVDs (I won't upgrade to Blu-Ray until our DVD player dies; darn you you ripoff motion picture industry you). 

For what it's worth, while I used to hold the same position, I now no longer think of blu-rays as a ripoff. I think it's a big improvement.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I did a comparison of both DVDs (I won't upgrade to Blu-Ray until our DVD player dies; darn you you ripoff motion picture industry you). 

For what it's worth, while I used to hold the same position, I now no longer think of blu-rays as a ripoff. I think it's a big improvement.

Why stop at Blu-Ray?

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/a-replacement-for-blu-ray-is-coming-does-anyone-want-it-1200569762/

At what point do we stop improving what's already good enough? At what point does the image of the screen become so crisp that we are blinded that nobody is in the room when Charles Foster Kane utters "Rosebud", or that there was no such thing as a letter that can allow Sam and Ilsa access to a flight out of Casablanca?

Edited by Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

I don't think TVs have improved enough for there to be a difference that will make an upgrade in quality worth it. Part of why the upgrade to DVD to Bluray was such a great increase in quality was because TVs got a lot better between the time DVDs came out and Blurays came out. At this point, the differences in quality are going to be almost negligible.

Improvement right now needs to be focused on streaming services, because none of them are Bluray quality at this point. A lot of this is out of the hands of the movie industry; it's dependent on the ubiquity and speed of internet services, but they aren't offering Bluray quality yet for streaming even though there are some people in the US who have enough bandwidth to support that level of quality.

• 3 months later...

One nice thing about the "Best of Warner Bros." (love the "bros" in the title) box set is that several of the best titles are actually MGM pictures.

It's getting harder for the layman to get a grasp of American film history with all the corporate bankruptcies and buyouts.unsure.png

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

TODAY ONLY: 50 Warner Brothers classics on blu-ray, regularly $600 for less than $200.

I can't believe I just bought this.

I think the same deal may be running today.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 3 months later...

Twilight Time is offering several Blu rays for sale through TCM this weekend. The prices don't look great to me -- what are they, $5 off? -- but if that's enough incentive for you, go for it.

• 3 months later...

I bought the 50-disc version of this last year for that price (the blu-ray set), and I've been very pleased with the decision. They're fairly bare-bones discs, but they've helped me fill some gaps. Some of the choices from their recent catalog though... ugh.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.