Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Upside Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xblCIgvCh4A

For the search engine: Jim Sturgess. Kirsten Dunst. Juan Diego Solanas.

Hmmm, according to the IMDb this is a French and Canadian co-production and both the writer and the director are Argentinian. And yet the stars are British and American. Interesting.

Not sure what to make of the Romeo & Juliet forbidden love plot, but I find it highly amusing that the film has baddies called "Border Patrol." Maybe it can speak to political themes on immigration in America.

Visually, however, it looks pretty damn arresting. There were a couple scenes in Inception, sitting in front a big screen, where my senses felt like they were being ... highly confused. Looks worth a try as long as it doesn't give you motion sickness.

Millenium Picks Up 'Upside Down':

Geez, we had pretty much forgotten about this one. With production starting over two years ago, it has taken a very long time for this movie to see the light of day. While there has been a smattering of stills and even a trailer at the beginning of the year, "Upside Down," starring Kirsten Dunst and Jim Sturgess, has failed to materialize, not even with a perfunctory festival screening somewhere on the circuit. But the film will finally be coming to theaters next year, apparently tricked out a bit to dazzle your eyeballs.

Millenium Entertainment have snapped up the U.S. rights to the movie, with a planned 2013 release coming in both 2D and 3D. This is actually the first time we've heard of the movie being presented in three-dimensions so we can only imagine it's been put through the conversion process, which might explain any additional delays on the movie (though hanging around this long in the wilderness without any screenings doesn't bode well for its quality). Directed by Juan Solanas (Argentinian arthouse fave "Nordeste"), the film follows Adam (Sturgess), a seemingly ordinary guy who is holding on to the memory of Eve, a girl he met once upon a time from another world, an inverted affluent world with its own gravity ...

If love were really stronger than gravity, we would all float into space and our heads would explode.

Also, what's Solanas's claim to being a "visionary director"? He's directed 3 movies before this--1 a documentary about acting, another a short film.

If love were stronger than gravity, tides around Feb. 14 would be craaaazy.

If love were stronger than gravity, bar-hopping would get a lot easier.

If love were stronger than gravity that kid wouldn't need those weights to help him beat gravity. The real tagline should be "What if gravity were exactly as strong as gravity? Except a little weaker, because otherwise these planets couldn't actually exist in the way they do and still support life."

--maybe that's too long to fit on a poster.

Edited by NBooth

The logistics of this make absolutely no sense.

I'm sure this is supposed to be one of those abandon-yourself-to-the-wonder kind of movies. Create an impossible world and revel in the new rules. Et cetera. The thing is--the aforementioned "Romeo & Juliet forbidden love plot" is a little stale. And I'm daily less inclined to let a movie coast by because it offers wonder n' whimsey. But that's just me.

I wrote a screenplay in high-school called Upside Down

I'm pretty peeved to see my title stolen. Because, you know, it's such an original title to begin with and all. I suspect foul play.

I remember it played for a week at a local art-house theater, but I missed it then.  

Seeing it since then, I thought the film did have some striking visuals.  I agree that the love story is pretty trite, and it is played too straight and boring.  And the "science" isn't anywhere close to being plausible.  It was an enjoyable diversion, though quickly forgotten.  Maybe if it was directed as a full-on whimsical fantasy by Jenuet or Michel Gondry, with ballet dancers and flamingos and smiling stars, it would have been memorable at least.

Edited by Crow

I almost think the love story *had* to be trite, or at least kind of conventional. What was it C.S. Lewis said about absolutely ordinary characters being required for stories with such extraordinary concepts?

And I *loved* the way the film kept exploring this notion of gravitational forces pulling in opposite directions. If there was any point at which the film "cheated", I missed it.

FIFTEEN MINUTES, I swear, of terrible narration to start this thing out of the gate. It's like, "DUDE. SHUT UP. We are trying to watch a movie here."

Did not make it past the half hour mark. My gf and I were watching it together and all we could do to save that half hour was go all MST3K. Sometimes that's the only way to survive.

Did not make it past the half hour mark.

You didn't miss anything except an exhibition of the talent that it must take to make really creative visuals this boring.