Sign in to follow this  
Darren H

Viaggio in Italia (1954)

And the headphones/ear buds are a huge plus, too.

I typically limit this kind of watching to documentaries, in fact I've even been known to watch docs on my iPod when taking trains or planes.

I guess I'm still considering quality, and the scope of the whole thing for a revered film.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

If you use DVD Decrypter you can usually rip it and then transfer it to MP4 to play on an Ipod while you treadmill. Picture's a little small and it screws with the aspect ratio, but there's a lot to be said to being able to pop in on a few minutes at a time while waiting in line at Moe's for a burrito or even just waiting for traffic to clear up during rush hour.

Persona wrote:

: Perhaps when we get a decent Hulu Plus review, I'd be willing to give that a try.

: But I'd still rather see it on a TV screen.

I thought kenmorefield said Hulu Plus *could* be played on a TV screen... y'know, kind of like Netflix...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Over on the thread about 25 Films About Marriage someone mentioned that this film wasn't available on DVD. Is there something wrong wrong with this, available at the world's retailer:

http://www.amazon.co...aggio in italia

I just ordered this. When I get it, I'll let everyone know what the quality is. It seems to be the complete 97 minute version.

Persona wrote:

: Perhaps when we get a decent Hulu Plus review, I'd be willing to give that a try.

: But I'd still rather see it on a TV screen.

I thought kenmorefield said Hulu Plus *could* be played on a TV screen... y'know, kind of like Netflix...

Affirmative. Provided you have a streaming device (such as Roku or some Blu-Ray DVDs) the picture quality can be better than some standard definition DVDs, but my understanding (not a techie) is that this may depend on your bandwidth as some devices such as Roku can lower the resolution to prevent buffering pauses).

Don't anyone touch that DVD from Amazon that I linked to earlier. Despite the mix of English and Korean on the box and the use of the English title (which led me to think it would either be the English soundtrack or have English subtitles), it's the Italian soundtrack, with only Korean subtitles. Ripped. Off.

Yeah ... well ... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there on that one.

Don't anyone touch that DVD from Amazon that I linked to earlier. Despite the mix of English and Korean on the box and the use of the English title (which led me to think it would either be the English soundtrack or have English subtitles), it's the Italian soundtrack, with only Korean subtitles. Ripped. Off.

The Amazon reviews seem to be inconsistent on this point. I wonder if different versions of the product are somehow being sent to people who order the same thing.

The Amazon reviews seem to be inconsistent on this point. I wonder if different versions of the product are somehow being sent to people who order the same thing.

Or if whoever is selling them is also writing the reviews.

A reminder: This comes on TCM next Friday (the 15th) at 11 PM CST.

Was no one able to rip this when it was on TCM? Do we not still have a copy to send on tour? Right now I'm kinda feeling like this is a massive A&F fail.

James Blake Ewing wrote:

: I recorded it, but I'm not comfortable with distributing films to other people.

FWIW, I don't see any reason *not* to distribute something that has been aired on TV. I never had any qualms sharing my videotapes with friends (or, in certain cases, dubbing the tapes and mailing them to friends of mine who lived far away), so I wouldn't have any qualms with sharing any broadcasted items digitally, either.

(Of course, I can remember how the studios used to argue, back in the '80s, that it should be illegal to tape anything off TV altogether -- but they lost that argument, as I recall.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

For those of you living close to Los Angeles, LACMA is showing two Rossellini restorations next month:

Journey to Italy (the one James mentions above, I think)

and

Stromboli

Two masterpieces for the price of one!

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

The New York Times has just reviewed Voyage to Italy... 58 years after its initial release.

So the count of great films that are available to buy only on region 2 DVD or dodgy imported discs of doubtful provenance decreases by one. A little sad, isn't it?

Of course, I was kind of hoping for an individual release, since those $60 box sets cut so deeply into my DVD budget, but still. It's like SDG says: "Heave a melancholy sigh, and be grateful."

Signed up for a free week on HuluPlus and went right to this movie. Admired it very much, and then came looking for our discussions about it. I know A&Fers have discussed it. Is that all in the Top 25 Marriage Movie threads?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.