Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

Wonderstruck

I got Wonderstruck for Christmas, started reading it last night, and finished it earlier today. It's 600 pages long. It goes really quickly, though; like Hugo, around half of the pages in Wonderstruck are illustrations. The main structural difference from Hugo is that there are two threads running through Wonderstruck, and one of them (about a boy named Ben) is told entirely in words, and the other (about a girl named Rose) is told entirely in pictures. Wonderstruck covers a lot of the same territory as Hugo--misfit kids with absent parents trying to find their place in the world, artifacts from the past telling stories--but the story of Wonderstruck is smaller than Hugo (not necessarily a bad thing).

I figured out one of the secrets pretty early on (it's not hard if you pay close attention to the illustrations), but that didn't take away from the story for me. It went in several directions I didn't expect, too. There's a silent movie reference early on, but it's nowhere near as important to the plot as the movies in Hugo are.

A movie adaptation of Wonderstruck would be considerably harder than Hugo, since both of the main characters are deaf and most of the dialogue comes through characters writing notes to each other, but I think it could be done. Working with those elements in a movie could be really interesting if it was handled well.

Edited by Tyler

Thanks, Tyler. I picked this up at the bookstore and paged through it, wondering if my kids might enjoy it as much as they enjoyed The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I think I'll grab a copy at the library and give it a whirl.

I'd been wondering what you thought of this since I saw that you got it in the book stacks thread. I finished it a week or so ago and loved it. While Hugo was a lot about fixing broken things/people this one seemed to lean more on living with/amidst brokenness that isn't necessarily fixable. I love both works dearly for this.

I think it'd be really interesting to see what could be done with this movie-wise. You'd have to be really clever with the structure, I think. I'd love to see someone tackle it.

My wife bought this for our girls a couple of months ago while volunteering for their school book sale. She didn't realize the connection to The Invention of Hugo Cabret, but I did and ended up buying that book for $5 (in hardback) at Barnes and Noble.

We gave both to the girls today. The younger seemed pleased, if not thrilled, to open Wonderstruck. When the older girl then opened Hugo Cabret, she said to me, "Why, daddy? The movie was so boring!"

Kids.

Edited by Christian