Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Counselor (2013)

67 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Look up "mixed feelings" in the Overstreet Dictionary and you will read this: "What Jeffrey feels when he learns that Cormac McCarthy is skipping over novel-writing and going straight to screenplay-writing. He would love to read a new McCarthy novel, but he's fascinated by the idea of a McCarthy story that's going first to the screen."

Posted · Report post

The terrain of the script is reminiscent of the rough and tumble world depicted in No Country For Old Men. The protagonist in The Counselor is a respected lawyer who thinks he can dip a toe in to the drug business without getting sucked down. It is a bad decision and he tries his best to survive it and get out of a desperate situation. While McCarthy’s ICM agents Binky Urban and Ron Bernstein were expecting McCarthy to deliver his next novel, he instead surprised them with the spec script before returning to the book. The producers moved quickly and spent their own money to buy it in a sizable deal. They tell me they will go looking for a filmmaker as they talk to financiers.

So he wrote it while working on his next novel? That could make for some interesting comparative reading in the future....

Posted · Report post

Cormac's agent is named Binky?

Posted · Report post

I would much rather have a new McCarthy novel, but I can see this working out okay--all of his books kind of read a little bit like a screenplay, just more vivid and fleshed-out ( I don't mean that as a dis, by the way). Of course, that doesn't mean he'll be a natural pro at screenwriting, but I think it works in his favor.

Posted (edited) · Report post

This. Edited by andrew_b_welch

Posted · Report post

You beat me to it!

Well, it's certainly not bad news. I'm beginning to think/hope, that Ridley's gotten back on the right path.

Hey, it can't be forgettable like A Good Year, at least.

Posted · Report post

Ridley Scott Commits To Next Direct McCarthy’s ‘The Counselor’; Will Michael Fassbender Play Title Role?

EXCLUSIVE: The Cormac McCarthy script The Counselor might well be traveling on the fastest track toward production of any film in recent memory. I’m told that Ridley Scott has now committed to make The Counselor his next film. Other sources tell me that Scott has been talking to his Prometheus star Michael Fassbender about playing the title role. While a formal offer hasn’t been made, I believe there’s a high likelihood that Hollywood’s hottest actor will star in the film. . . .

Scott is eyeing a May 1 start date, and he is talking to a number of high-profile actors to take part in a film that insiders are describing as “No Country For Old Men on steroids.” . . .

The Counselor is reminiscent of the rough and tumble world depicted in the Oscar-winning adaptation of McCarthy’s novel No Country For Old Men. The protagonist is a respected lawyer who thinks he can dip a toe in to the drug business without getting sucked down. It is a bad decision and he tries his best to survive it and get out of a desperate situation. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, February 9

Posted · Report post

Yes!! Anything to put on hold Blade Runner 2.

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

New trailer. The title is The Counsellor--2 Ls--by the way.

Posted · Report post

IMDB lists it with only one L.  I think the spelling might be changing based on the country where it's being advertised.

Posted · Report post

IMDB lists it with only one L.  I think the spelling might be changing based on the country where it's being advertised.

That could be. The only place I'm seeing it with 2 Ls is in the trailer itself (and the YouTube video title), which is from 20th Century Fox UK. 

Posted · Report post

Saw this poster in the lobby of a theatre last weekend, after seeing the trailer before watching Rush. Maybe it's just me, but this poster could have been for any Love Actually-type or Garry Marshall film of the past 15 years...

The-Counselor-2013-Movie-Banner-Poster.j

The posters for this are legitimately terrible. Some of the footage that's been floating around isn't very good, either. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Edited by Ryan H.

Posted · Report post

The posters for this are legitimately terrible. Some of the footage that's been floating around isn't very good, either. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Yeah, the trailers have reminded me of a couple of Oliver Stone films (U Turn and Savages), neither of which I've ever felt compelled to watch.

Posted · Report post

I'm off to see this tonight. Are others here staying quiet because of an embargo? 

I'm really curious about the lack of buzz about this one. It's a Cormac McCarthy screenplay. It should be an Event, right? It has Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender and Javier Bardem. Okay, the Ridley Scott factor does more harm than good to the film's chances at this point, but I'm trying to figure out why the fact that this is McCarthy hasn't generated more intrigue and excitement.

Posted · Report post

I'm off to see this tonight. Are others here staying quiet because of an embargo? 

I'm really curious about the lack of buzz about this one. It's a Cormac McCarthy screenplay. It should be an Event, right? It has Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender and Javier Bardem. Okay, the Ridley Scott factor does more harm than good to the film's chances at this point, but I'm trying to figure out why the fact that this is McCarthy hasn't generated more intrigue and excitement.

I, for one, am VERY intrigued, as McCarthy is a personal favourite. But the lack of any reviews posted thus far has given me serious doubts about the film. Looking forward to hearing your response!

Fox isn't screening this for the media until tomorrow night -- only two nights before the film opens. Until recently, Fox generally held screenings on the Monday night before a film came out on Friday (or, in Percy Jackson 2's case, on the Thursday night before the film came out on Wednesday), but The Wolverine and Runner Runner were both held back until the Wednesday night before the films' Friday release dates, so make of that what you will.

I'm also surprised and a little disappointed that I've seen so little publicity around this film, as I was hoping that Ridley Scott would give some interviews in which he dropped some hints about his next film, Exodus. (Yes, I have a one-track mind.) But I'm not sure that I've seen Sir Ridley give any interviews to promote this film *at all*.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Posted · Report post

Saw it tonight. Eager to discuss it. Don't let the lack of buzz discourage you.

Posted · Report post

Jeffrey Wells:

It’s odd, to say the least, when a Ridley Scott film costarring Michael Fassbender, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz and Brad Pitt has no buzz only two days before it opens. THat’e because very few have seen it. (The first screening of any size happens tonight in Los Angeles.) It’s a drug-dealing movie and I’ve heard a few things. I’m told that it’s very “genre-ish,” which I took as a metaphor for pulpy and mean and bloody. And that guys get dispatched in some very…uhm, memorable ways. It looks beautiful, a guy said. If there’s a problem it’s with McCarthy’s script. Everybody talks in riddles and parables, and it’s hard to figure what’s going on. Fox is obviously looking to sell the marquee names and keep the word from spreading around too much about whatever slicings and spurtings it may contain.

Posted · Report post

Saw it tonight. Eager to discuss it. Don't let the lack of buzz discourage you.

Done. I'll hopefully view it this weekend!

Everything I've seen, and the screenplay excerpt published in The New Yorker, has me excited.

But you guys are right that there's a lack of buzz. In its much more modest way, it feels a little like John Carter.

Blame it on the marketing and the fickle public.

I almost wonder if McCarthy required some kind of contractual embargo (barring all early reviews, etc.) when he sold the script. Given his reclusive nature, I almost wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Timothy Zila