VAN HALEN, KIDS

Christian

After sitting and listening to the new album, I agree with this completely:

I unconsciously suspected my takeaway would be, "This is a bad album, but I love it nonetheless." My actual sentiment is closer to, "This is a good album, but I just don't like it, no matter how much I try." And I'm disappointed in myself for feeling that way, somehow, which only proves that the things I understand most will always confuse me forever.

I was pretty lukewarm on the album the first 2 or 3 times through but it's starting to grow on me. I'm really diggin "stay frosty" and "big river".

If this is truly the only Van Halen thread on this forum, it really shouldn't go any further without a

from Running With the Devil.
My favorite one is the flash-animated page that allows to click on quotes from the song and get little snippets of DLR's isolated glory. Hilarious. Especially 1:26, which has to be one of the greatest/most ludicrous moments in frontman history.

1:50 might be a close second. Love it!

Edited by Greg P

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

If this is truly the only Van Halen thread on this forum, it really shouldn't go any further without a

from Running With the Devil.
My favorite one is the flash-animated page that allows to click on quotes from the song and get little snippets of DLR's isolated glory. Hilarious. Especially 1:26, which has to be one of the greatest/most ludicrous moments in frontman history.

1:50 might be a close second. Love it!

3:08-3:12 is my personal fave. Nice kicker.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

When I was going to a Christian junior high and high school, Van Halen was the go-to band to express your rebellion. I just heard "Hot for Teacher" on the radio the other day and was delighted all over again by the perfect tackiness of it all.

Speaking of Van Halen and Christian school, there was this story/anecdote floating around back then that someone (an MTV VJ?) asked Eddie Van Halen "What's it like being the greatest guitarist in the world?" and EVH answered, "I don't know; ask Phil Keaggy!" Oh, how we loved this story. But I'm guessing now it's just an urban legend and I'm too lazy to do the research to find out for sure...

Speaking of Van Halen and Christian school, there was this story/anecdote floating around back then that someone (an MTV VJ?) asked Eddie Van Halen "What's it like being the greatest guitarist in the world?" and EVH answered, "I don't know; ask Phil Keaggy!" Oh, how we loved this story. But I'm guessing now it's just an urban legend and I'm too lazy to do the research to find out for sure...

A record-store clerk once told me the same story, but substituted Eric Clapton for EVH.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

A record-store clerk once told me the same story, but substituted Eric Clapton for EVH.

And I've heard it was Jimi Hendrix. According to Phil Keaggy (I asked him), it never happened.

And I've heard it was Jimi Hendrix. According to Phil Keaggy (I asked him), it never happened.

I've heard the story that Phil Keaggy says this never happened. I think it's an urban legend.

I first heard that story on a bus ride to to a festival to see Keaggy play in the early 90s. It was Hendrix in that version.

Plenty of links about it online.

I still want to think there's some kernal of truth that sparked the telephone game, even if it was someone from Herman's Hermits saying that Keaggy is a halfway decent banjo player.

Not that it matters, but "A Different Kind of Truth" debuted at number 2 on the Billboard album chart, right behind Adele's "21" (based on the strength of promotions for her upcoming Grammy comeback performance, no doubt). Just can't seem to nab that #1 spot. "1984" spent a period of time at #2 behind some album called "Thriller" by some guy named Michael Jackson.

• 4 months later...

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender