Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Beauty and the Beast

Links to our threads on the Disney cartoon (1991; cf. also its 1993 stage musical adaptation), Beastly (2011), and in-development adaptations by Guillermo del Toro and ABC.

- - -

New 'Beast' sets leads

Vincent Cassel and Lea Seydoux are attached to star in "Beauty and the Beast," one of the biggest new European movies to be announced at Berlin's market this year.

Christophe Gans ("Silent Hill," "Brotherhood of the Wolf") has written the screenplay and will direct. Budgeted at €33 million ($43.2 million), the French-language "Beauty" is produced by Paris-based Eskwad and Gallic studio Pathe. Eskwad owner Richard Grandpierre produces. . . .

Gans' screenplay is based on one of the earliest published variants of the traditional fairy tale, included in Gabrielle-Suzanne de Villeneuve's 1740's collection, "La Jeune Ameriquaine et les Contes Marins." Unusually, it features a genuinely savage beast.

Gans told Variety that it is a multi-layered tale, aimed at both children and adults. "It talks, among other things, about the power of dreams and love versus materialism and corruption, which makes it more than ever relevant today."

"Beauty's" screenplay was written "humbly, in the shadow of that giant" Hayao Miyazaki, Japan's celebrated animator, Gans added. . . .

Variety, February 9

Attica   

I would think that they have quite the balancing act on their hands, if they are going to try to make the film that this blurb implies but still make it accessible for little children. I'm kind of picturing something along the lines of Coraline, not so much in it's story, but in it's grittiness, complexity, and ability to go into dark places, but still stay fairly child friendly (although it was a PG rating.) All in all it looks like this new film is going to return to the elements of an old European Folk Tale, which sits just fine with me.

Edited by Attica

BethR   

No further comments on this thread, so I can't tell whether anyone else has seen this 2014 French version, but it's now available on Netflix streaming. I liked it much better than the Disney live version. I would say that Attica correctly predicted that it manages to be child-friendly and to capture a fairy-tale atmosphere, while also going to some gritty, complex, and dark places. The international trailer on IMDB is dubbed with terrible sound quality. This US trailer is better.

https://youtu.be/X-rJ-3WRu4M

Edited by BethR

Anodos   
4 hours ago, BethR said:

No further comments on this thread, so I can't tell whether anyone else has seen this 2014 French version, but it's now available on Netflix streaming. I liked it much better than the Disney live version. I would say that Attica correctly predicted that it manages to be child-friendly and to capture a fairy-tale atmosphere, while also going to some gritty, complex, and dark places. The international trailer on IMDB is dubbed with terrible sound quality. This US trailer is better.

https://youtu.be/X-rJ-3WRu4M

I haven't seen the Emma Watson, but can confirm that this is worth a go. The animated creatures were a bit jarring, but the rest of the film was rather gorgeous.