Suspicion

Peter T Chattaway

Link to our thread on the remake of Rebecca, the OTHER film directed by Alfred Hitchcock in which Joan Fontaine plays a newlywed woman who begins to harbour doubts about her husband.

- - -

Paramount to remake Hitchcock's 'Suspicion'

Paramount is looking to adapt Alfred Hitchock's "Suspicion" and has tapped Veena Sud of AMC's "The Killing" to direct and pen the script, with Montecito Pictures producing.

The original film, based on Francis IIles's 1932 novel "Before the Fact," centered on a dowdy young woman (portrayed by Joan Fontaine) marrying an irresponsible charmer (played by Cary Grant) despite the strong disapproval of her wealthy father -- and then beginning to suspect that her husband plans to kill her. Fontaine won a best actress Oscar for her perf in the 1941 feature. . . .

Variety, February 13

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I usually dread remakes, esp remakes from the master. But the ending in the original was a great let-down. I would think that the Hays Code, whose censorship actually improved many films, belly-flopped on this one. If uncompromising, it _might_ work (or, it will be a Sleeping W The Enemy remake).

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

I usually am not bothered by re-makes...but I cringe when folks say they wanna remake Hitchcock. It tends to feel more pointless than normal. I have yet to find a director who can improve upon Hitchcock's work.

Edited by Nezpop

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I usually am not bothered by re-makes...but I cringe when folks say they wanna remake Hitchcock. It tends to feel more pointless than normal. I have yet to find a director who can improve upon Hitchcock's work.

That's because everybody wants to remake (or, in DePalma's case, homage) Hitchcock's very best work. As great as he was, he's not infallible. Remakes of Topaz, Torn Curtain, Suspicion, or Rope are all prime candidates for remakes. Just don't touch his imdb-8.0 output.

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

That's because everybody wants to remake (or, in DePalma's case, homage) Hitchcock's very best work. As great as he was, he's not infallible. Remakes of Topaz, Torn Curtain, Suspicion, or Rope are all prime candidates for remakes. Just don't touch his imdb-8.0 output.

Only good Hitchcock remake was that 1950s one of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH #recyclingjokeImadeonTwitter

Seriously, I think that's right. I wonder what better actors than Gregory Peck or Louis Jourdan, and a director with more interest in courtroom drama (think ANATOMY OF A MURDER or WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION) could do with THE PARADINE CASE. And while I liked THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY more on second view, my reaction at the end was still that it was like a 3-part Very Special Episode of NEWHART.

Yeah ... well ... I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there on that one.