Hannibal

221 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes...

that Hannibal...

as in Lecter...

NBC has ordered 13 episodes from Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller, who is focusing the series on the early relationship of the good doctor and FBI profiler Will Graham.

Story here.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Posted · Report post

*Lecter

Posted · Report post

*Lecter

Thanks... and here... I'll save someone the trouble...

darthnoooooo.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1314742043907

Posted · Report post

I've been hearing about this for a while. Sounds pretty dull.

If they wanna make some more money out of Lecter, I don't know why they don't just go the obvious route and make a film called CLARICE. Throw money at Foster and Hopkins and Demme until they come back (I know Foster didn't like HANNIBAL, but CLARICE could be a kind of sequel that is ambiguously related to HANNIBAL, since a whole lot didn't change, save for Hannibal Lecter losing his arm), and have it be a big comeback and the big wrap-up for the film series. It would be just as pointless as the TV show, of course, but it would probably be more interesting than exploring the Will Graham/RED DRAGON territory once again.

Posted · Report post

I'm baffled. Are they trying to work a Dexter angle? But I've never understood the attraction there, either. This is just all kinds of wrong.

Posted · Report post

I've been hearing about this for a while. Sounds pretty dull.

If they wanna make some more money out of Lecter, I don't know why they don't just go the obvious route and make a film called CLARICE.

Well, somebody has sort of taken your advice. Now the Lifetime cable network is working on a series of its own, centered around Clarice Starling after she graduates from the FBI Academy.

Story here.

Posted · Report post

Creating a run of the mill police procedural that just happens to feature a character Clarice Starling wasn't exactly what I was talking about. ;)

Posted · Report post

Wow. That's actually a great choice.

Wow. That's actually a great choice.

How is Will Graham going to read Lecter's tell? Every time he gets hungry he weeps blood...

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Posted · Report post

That's an impressive cast for something I have no interest in.

Posted · Report post

Debuting April 4, in the Thursday 10 PM time slot that has seen the demise of 4 shows--Prime Suspect, The Firm, Awake, and Do No Harm--in the past 2 seasons.

Posted · Report post

At 1:29, is that the bathroom from THE SHINING?

Posted · Report post

That's what it looked like to me.

Full trailer is here. I should note that the trailer is pretty violent, just as a warning. On that note, I can't recall another network TV show dabbling in this kind of extreme violence before. Have I just not been watching enough network TV lately, or is this really pushing the boundaries?

I was surprised to see that the show is reusing "Vide Cor Meum," which was written for the HANNIBAL soundtrack (and was subsequently reused by Ridley Scott in KINGDOM OF HEAVEN).

Edited by Ryan H.

Posted · Report post

The Following was marketed as pushing the envelope on network TV violence, which is only sort of accurate, but Hannibal looks to be quite a bit more explicit than The Following.

Posted · Report post

It looks a good deal more graphic to me; CSI was once criticized [?] for its explicitness, but the TMIcam [not sure where I heard that one] actually serves to distance the viewer from the gore; here there's no mediating filter of that sort.

And, you know--in spite of myself [and in spite of the fact that Hannibal Rising was by all accounts a debacle, Hannibal (the movie) ditto]--I'm slowly becoming interested in this one. Not because of the plot--which strikes me as fairly generic serial-killer stuff--so much as because of Mikkelsen. I guess it could have been predicted, but he's the best part of both of the trailers. [Which strikes me, now that I look at it, as a fairly banal observation, since the show is called Hannibal--but there it is]

Posted · Report post

Reviews have started pouring in for the first few episodes of HANNIBAL, and word is that it's actually pretty good, thanks largely to the contributions of the cast (ever review I've seen seems pretty impressed with Mikkelsen).

I'll be checking it out, at least for the first few episodes. Can't be any worse than HANNIBAL RISING, right?

Posted · Report post

The AV Club's Todd VanDerWerff gives the pilot an A-.

Posted · Report post

Interesting. From that AV Club review:

It is a show that begins where other procedurals end, a show about the psychic toll of death, about what it means to pursue that death and what it means to be haunted by it at every turn.

I have a deep, deep hatred of murder-of-the-week procedurals. I loathe them. Can't stand to be in a room with one on the TV. I'd like to think I'd hate them even if I hadn't experienced a double homicide in my own family, but that certainly plays some part in my attitude. That my aging parents happily consume them every night without a thought or conscious feeling for the sadistic, gruesome, macabre images they're enjoying (while refusing to watch The Wire because the language is "too raunchy") infuriates me.

BUT I greatly respect films and television that are interested in the sorrow and stupid waste of violence. It's one reason I'm such a fan of David Lynch. That review for Hannibal and the presence of Mads Mikkelsen makes me want to give it a shot.

Posted · Report post

Interesting. From that AV Club review:

It is a show that begins where other procedurals end, a show about the psychic toll of death, about what it means to pursue that death and what it means to be haunted by it at every turn.

I have a deep, deep hatred of murder-of-the-week procedurals. I loathe them. Can't stand to be in a room with one on the TV. I'd like to think I'd hate them even if I hadn't experienced a double homicide in my own family, but that certainly plays some part in my attitude. That my aging parents happily consume them every night without a thought or conscious feeling for the sadistic, gruesome, macabre images they're enjoying (while refusing to watch The Wire because the language is "too raunchy") infuriates me.

BUT I greatly respect films and television that are interested in the sorrow and stupid waste of violence. It's one reason I'm such a fan of David Lynch. That review for Hannibal and the presence of Mads Mikkelsen makes me want to give it a shot.

I'm with you every step here, Darren.

Posted · Report post

I could understand around 60% of what Mads Mikkelsen was saying.

Judging by the preview at the end, they're not going in a "serial killer of the week" direction, which seemed like a possibility from the episode.

Posted · Report post

Based on the pilot, the show's greatest asset is Mikkelsen. He's absolutely terrific.