John Drew

Hannibal

238 posts in this topic

Just now catching up with the last two episodes.

Geez. Where is this season going to leave us? Not with Hannibal behind bars, it doesn't seen-- is it setting up a season of Hannibal as a fugitive? And how is it going to get us to the big flashforward from the season opener?

Such a great show. Such a weird, druggy, nightmarish, great show.

Bryan Fuller has said the Jack/Hannibal fight is coming in the finale, but I haven't heard anything about the resolution or fallout from it.

From how the series has developed, I think they might have Hannibal (justly) imprisoned next season, to contrast with how Will was unjustly imprisoned at the beginning of this season.

Fuller has been open about his plans for season three since the show began. It's going to be an extended chase.

The previews for next week make it pretty clear how the Crawford/Hannibal fight fits in.

Will be interesting to see how Fuller and Co. take something relatively conventional (i.e., an extended chase) and conform it to the surreal rules of Hannibal. Come to think of it, it will be interesting to see Mikkelsen play what I imagine will be some very different notes for the cool, composed, respectable Dr. Lecter.

In the latest interview with Fuller at the A.V. Club, he says, "you need to come to the finale as though you were attending a Gallagher concert. Wear your slickers because the blood is going to flow."

Ever since this season's first episode, I've wondered if

Crawford is going to make it out of his fight with Hannibal alive. It seems like he would be essential for the rest of the series...

but given how they've deviated from Harris' books in so many other ways, I have to wonder. I wouldn't be surprised if this was it for him.

Edited by andrew_b_welch

Laurence Fishburne is on ABC's upcoming comedy Black-ish (he's also a producer). According to IMDb, Fishburne is only in the pilot, but it also lists Anthony Anderson the same way, and he's the star of the show. It seems like the page needs to be updated, which makes it hard to tell if/how much Fishburne will be available for Hannibal.

Fishburne is one of the regular stars of Black-ish. I'm not sure how that will affect his commitment to Hannibal.

Just in case you stopped watching after the first run of credits (against the sky background), that's not the end of the episode.

NPR: God, the Devil, and Hannibal

[P]erhaps what would have been most surprising to those who wondered what was left to explore in this story of brutality is Hannibal's exploration of love, particularly between Hannibal Lecter and Will Graham, the criminal profiler pursuing him. Though Tumblr may have you believe otherwise—respect, 'shippers — Will and Hannibal are not in love. No, the love Hannibal has for Will is something so much bigger than that. The term "agape," or unconditional love, was co-opted by Christianity to describe the love that God has for humanity, and Hannibal takes that idea one step further: What if instead of referring to the love Christ has for man, agape instead referred to the love the Antichrist has for a man? It's just the most notable reversal on a show chock-full of them. But they all lead back to this one.

I finally broke down and picked up season 1. Started last night--but I won't have any developed thoughts until I've seen a couple more episodes.

Well, damn. I've been working on a piece that covers the same territory explored by that NPR article.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Hannibal. The first season really starts to pick up around episode five.

That finale....wow. I think I was literally speechless for the last 10 minutes. Did not see the big character reveal coming. At. All.

No indeed. My wife and I just caught up with this last night. I may never sleep again.

That IGN interview is tremendous, by the way. Fuller's teases for the start of season 3-- and his implications about what a different show it's going to be-- are mightily appealing.

I don't think either of these points were made in previously linked interviews, but forgive me if I'm repeating anything. Evidently, Fuller has said that the next season will get us into Red Dragon, and also that it will be at least a couple episodes into the season before we find out the fates of Will, Jack, Alana, etc.

I don't think either of these points were made in previously linked interviews, but forgive me if I'm repeating anything. Evidently, Fuller has said that the next season will get us into Red Dragon, and also that it will be at least a couple episodes into the season before we find out the fates of Will, Jack, Alana, etc.

I can't remember exactly where I read those same remarks from Fuller. In the context of the original interview, I took them to mean that he was excited to see Dolarhyde down the road, not necessarily in season three.

I'm very close to finishing season 1 right now--two episodes left!--and, as with most things, watching the show has gotten me into digging around in connected matters--which brings me to this video:

About 9:00, John Douglas (the criminal profiler who was reputedly--at least, partly--the model for Will Graham) recounts his time on the Green River Killer case, including his near-fatal bout of encephalitis. 

Edited by NBooth

I finished Season 1. It's--it's good. I'm a fan. The show takes all the operatic preposterousness latent in the source-material--I presume it's there, since it shows up on other Hannibal adaptations--and pushes it so far over the top that it becomes a dreamlike, surreal experience. Realism this ain't--and it's a good thing, too, because the world of the show is inhabited by colossal monsters. Metaphorically speaking, I mean. I think a headline somewhere said "forget Sherlock, watch Hannibal," but that's precisely the wrong comparison. Hannibal isn't the American answer to Sherlock--it's the American answer to Luther: melodramatically dark crime dramas that teeter on the edge of excess, on the edge of parody, anchored at their core by the relationship between a tortured detective and a sociopathic murderer.

And then there's Hannibal--I've watched it with the "Hannibal is Satan" interpretation in mind, and I'm very impressed. This might be my favorite portrayal of the cannibal--more restrained than Anthony Hopkins, but more flamboyant than Brian Cox. And the relationship between Hannibal and Will is fantastic [in both senses of the word].

Speaking of Cox--does anyone else feel like this show is more of a spiritual successor to Manhunter than to the Hopkins movies?

I read somewhere, too, about a mild vegetarian subtext. I'm no vegetarian, but I get a huge kick out of how subtle and perverse the idea is.

I've bought Season 2 off Amazon Unbox; unfortunately, I can't chromecast it, so I've no idea when I'll get around to watching it (yes, being able to put it on my TV is a material consideration for when I'll watch a show).

Is it just me, or was the Freddie Lounds firework show a shot-for-shot lift from Manhunter?

I feel like I've seen this somewhere before...

Horns_Official_Movie_Poster.jpg

I just finished season 2. I need to digest it a bit, but for now--wow. Just wow. This is a seriously good show. 

Ok, a couple of thoughts:

1. This series finally convinced me to watch The Shining. So that's something.

2. Everyone has praised--and rightly so--the Hannibal-Will dynamic. I think this Hannibal is the most interesting of the filmed versions, and his interactions with Will in the last couple of episodes only underline that fact. If the series makes it to season five, and if the creators are able to square the rights away and do Silence of the Lambs, it will be interesting to see how Clarice fits in. As far as I can tell, Hannibal's plans regarding Will--that is, to run away with him and start fresh somewhere else--are reasonably close to what actually does happen in the conclusion to Hannibal [the book--unread by me]. So they've set up what could wind up being a very interesting parallel story and potentially lead in to a fascinating final season, with Will confronting both his mirror-image in Hannibal and his surrogate in Clarice.

3. One element that I think gets underplayed is the way in which the Jack-Will relationship is the mirror to the W/H relationship. We're clearly meant to think of it, but Jack doesn't come off--for all that Fishburne is very good--as being much of a relational equal to Hannibal. He can offer Will a chance to be a good guy, but he can't--perhaps because of his own issues?--offer the powerful bonding force that Hannibal represents.

4. This is among the most visually arresting television shows I've ever seen. Again, that's not a particularly novel observation--but I can count on the fingers of one hand [Sherlock, House of Cards, perhaps Misfits.] the shows that hit a similar sweet spot, visually speaking. I really wish more shows looked like this.

5. We'll have to see, of course, what the next season brings, but is there any way this series could really end without Hannibal and Will both dead? They are so entwined, even at this point; short of Will totally leaving the series after season four, I don't really see how one can survive without the other.

Edited by NBooth

Is it just me, or was the Freddie Lounds firework show a shot-for-shot lift from Manhunter?

Yeah. And the Mann sequence is lifted right from the book, IIRC.