• Sad Willie (Meg Baird)
    • Fake Willie (Fairport Convention)
    • Cheery Willie (Anne Briggs)
    • Proper Scottish Willie (Dick Gaughan)
    • Nearly Willie (Kate Rusby)
    • Indie Willie (The Owl Service)
    • Hippie Willie (Pentangle)
    • Dicky's Willie (Richard Thompson)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

Over at The Greatest Song Ever Written Thread there is, perhaps unsurprisingly, considerable interest in The Greatest Song Ever Written, which is, as we know, 'Willie O'Winsbury', by Some Old Scottish Guy.

So, it's time we had a Willie-Off. Here are the contenders, feel free to post other versions, and I will add them to the poll. Whose version of this classic tale of did-she-didn't-she, poor-man-is-rich-man intrigue and repressed homosexuality rules the roost?

1. Meg Baird

2. Fairport Convention

4. Dick Gaughan

6. (can't find)

Edited by stu

This poll is incomplete without the Pentangle version.

This poll is hilarious. I voted for Fake Willie. It was the first Willie I heard, which counts for something. And it features Sandy Denny, which counts for even more.

Might as well as toss in the version from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S2DMEtFVK4, who once had the cheek to claim Fake Willie as his own song.

Poll amended to include Pentangle and Richard Thompson versions of the song ('Hippie Willie' and 'Dicky's Willie' respectively).

This thread has a somewhat limited audience, doesn't it? I voted for Dick Gaughan, but I think he only got it because it's on my radar at the moment. Also, Gaughan can sing 'long' as 'lang' and not sound like he's trying too hard, which gets him a couple of votes in itself.

Poll amended to include Pentangle and Richard Thompson versions of the song ('Hippie Willie' and 'Dicky's Willie' respectively).

This thread has a somewhat limited audience, doesn't it? I voted for Dick Gaughan, but I think he only got it because it's on my radar at the moment. Also, Gaughan can sing 'long' as 'lang' and not sound like he's trying too hard, which gets him a couple of votes in itself.

I don't know about the limited audience. I believe that there are at least four people worldwide who would vote for "Willie O'Winsbury" as the greatest song ever written, and at least two of them are participating in this thread.

Kudos on "Dicky's Willie," a veritable triple entendre.

Edited by Andy Whitman

I don't know about the limited audience. I believe that there are at least four people worldwide who would vote for "Willie O'Winsbury" as the greatest song ever written, and at least two of them are participating in this thread.

Thanks. 'Dicky's Willie' just fell into my hands,so to speak...

Ew.

Ew.

Yeah, sorry about that. I think I crossed an artsandfaith line with that one. It was Whitman's fault - he's a bad influence.

Boys will be boys, I guess :)