Sign in to follow this  
Jason Panella

Dungeons & Dragons

Honestly, I think our biggest barrier will be the lack of a software character creator. Right now, I don't think most people would be down for manually writing up character sheets. (Heck, right now I wouldn't be down for that.)

My friend and his kids were beta testers for the digital character creator, Dungeonscape. Wizards cancelled the project in October, though, which was a bummer. Guess there were a lot of bugs. 

I don't know if this will change your opinion, but I was able to whip up a new character for 5E this past weekend in about 10 minutes. It's really easy, especially with gear (you can buy things manually, or use their "either/or" system to quickly assemble things).

Wanted to pop back in this thread to say that, for the first time ever, I'm running a game of D&D. Every few months, I get together with some friends from college and play board games. Someone mentioned making the theme of this get-together "dungeon crawls," so I offered to DM D&D, since no one (outside of me) had any experience with tabletop RPGs. 

So, I'm preparing things. I have a good intro adventure to run, and I'm borrowing various vinyl maps off of friends and gathering index cards and markers. I also made pregenerated characters that fit lots of the classic fantasy archetypes: elf wizard, human fighter, and so on. I'm surprisingly nervous, but also really excited. 

Hi all. I don't post there that often these days, but I wanted to share something I'm excited about. 

I've been quite busy the past year or two. This is partially for a not-awesome reason—my wife is chronically ill. But much of it is cool. A friend and I pitched a proposal for a Dungeons & Dragons adventure to the official organized play program and had it accepted. We wrote the adventure last year, and it debuted at a Pittsburgh-area convention in March. It's now for sale online here: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/285292/CCCCOS01-The-Only-Way-To-Be-Sure

It was a lot of work, but very rewarding. It had a very warm reception with the people who played it, and it's become a best seller since it went up for sale in August. I pitched another idea and had it accepted as well, and I'm deep in the writing process. This next adventure will be out next year.

Congrats! Although I haven't played D&D for several decades, a number of people in my tabletop board game club do; it seems to be experiencing a revival. I also know from a friend who tries to design board games how difficult that process of ushering in an idea, even a well-executed one, to market. So, I hope you are proud.

I am sorry to hear about your wife, though. You and she were in my thoughts today.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife as well, but that's very exciting news on the gaming front.  My two sons are deep into D&D, and my wife and I would be, if we could find a good group locally...

Thanks, Ken and Andrew. I think things are improving (slowly) on the health front, but slowly is better than not at all. 

And yes, D&D is definitely experiencing a revival. It's weird, seeing kids who would've picked on me in middle school for liking RPGs are now playing D&D and recruiting their friends to play. Game conventions, even small regional ones, are packed with new players. The scene is shifting demographically, too, which I love—many more women, LGBTQ+ folks, people of color. I sometimes wonder if or when the bubble will burst, but as of now, it's been fun riding the wave a bit.