Ron wrote:

: (Though how you deduced that from the SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION example is

: beyond me - it is set in 1891).

Well, what you wrote above was, "THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION - based on the Nicholas Meyer Sherlock Holmes pastiche, which begins April 24, 1991." Typo, I guess?

Ron Reed   

What you wrote above was, "THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION - based on the Nicholas Meyer Sherlock Holmes pastiche, which begins April 24, 1991."  Typo, I guess?

Yup. Doh.

Still, o felix culpa, since it's led you to start thinking about futuristic flicks...

Ron

Arrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!! I completely glossed over the "no documentaries" clause. Oh well.... forget I mentioned Kevin MacDonald's One Day in September, and instead consider 21 Hours in Munich starring William Holden, which covers the same events on Sept. 5th. I admit, I'm not sure of it's availability other than an occassional showing on cable. Of course, in two years you can add Steven Spielberg's movie on the Munich Olympics to this date.

And while on the subject of hostage movies, here's another for July 4th. Irvin Kershner's Raid on Entebbe recounts the story of Israeli commando's rescuing hostages at the the Entebbe Airport in Uganda, in 1976.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

SDG   

Ron, I see you've already got A Man for All Seasons and Becket on their saint's feast days, so here are a few others....

May 30 (Joan of Arc): The Passion of Joan of Arc (1927, Carl Dreyer); Joan of Arc (1948, Victor Fleming)

April 16 (Bernadette of Lourdes): The Song of Bernadette (1943, Henry King)

July 19 (Vincent de Paul): Monsieur Vincent

October 1 (Th

April 7th & 8th -- Night of the Living Dead (1968 version)

An early line in the film refers to a character losing an hours sleep because Daylight Saving Time started that day. In 1968, that would have occured on Sunday April 7th. The events of that movie spill over into the 8th.

August 23rd -- Braveheart

The date of the execution of William Wallace. Depending on your alliances, English or Scottish, you could also watch this on Sept. 11th when the Scots defeated the Brits at Stirling bridge -- or on July 22nd when the Brits defeated the Scots at Falkirk.

Ron Reed   

This is a VERY loose list, and I'm sure I'll think of more...

Ash Wednesday or Good Friday (variable) - The Passion of the Christ

May 5 (cinco de mayo) - something Mexican...not sure yet. Frida is too odd and too risque...

April 22 - Earth Day - TBD

Labor Day (variable) - Wall Street, Roger and Me

Memorial Day (variable) - Saving Private Ryan, The Best Years of our Lives, All Quiet on the Western Front, etc.

Holocaust Week (early Feb, variable) - Schindler's List or The Pianist or...

February 14 - Valentine's Day - Marty or Eternal Sunshine or ...

May 1 - May Day - The Cradle Will Rock ALSO Seabiscuit

April 1 - April Fools Day - Amelie

Thanksgiving (variable) - Babette's Feast

Seems to me like you're kind of linking films thematically to different holidays. Which is fun in its own right. The idea here, though, is to come up with films that actually include a particular date in the film. Either a scene is identified on happening, say, July 13, or can be identified as such. Or a character says, "Hmmm, July 13, that's my favourite day of the year." That kind of thing. Do some or all of these ones qualify on that basis?

So the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD thing is brill, for example. Oh, and availability doesn't have to be a factor either: if the movie was made, and we know it's got the date in it, it's in!

(Oh, and the oddness or risque-ness of FRIDA would be no barrier at all - provided cinco de mayo actually occurs in the film. Does it? I didn't see the whole movie, so I don't know. But that does remind me that CENTRAL STATION has that sequence in the village with some religious festival or another being celebrated: wonder if I can find a date for that one?...)

As for saints' days, it would depend on why that day has been chosen for that saint. In BECKET and MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, the films include events on the day of death of the central character, so I've listed that particular day - which, it turns out, is also their saint's day. Do you happen to know, SDG, if that sort of thing is also true of the others you list?

Edited by Ron

Ron Reed   

Ah. Found good dates for Bernadette and Seabiscuit...

Thanksgiving: Hannah and Her Sisters

17 March: The Spanish Prisoner

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Ron Reed   

Thanksgiving: Hannah and Her Sisters

17 March: The Spanish Prisoner

Great! Just what I'm after.

Even greater, you've stumped me with THE SPANISH PRISONER. Too long since I've seen it. What happens on March 17? Presuming you can reveal anything about this ultra-twisty story.

Also, saw an extremely good local production of AS YOU LIKE IT Wednesday night, and was reminded that Don John arrives May 6.

Edited by Ron

SDG   
As for saints' days, it would depend on why that day has been chosen for that saint.

: What happens on March 17?

St. Patrick's Day.

Does that help?

Dale

Also, like anyone cares, but:

July 9-12: Mike Leigh's Four Days in July

Eric Rohmer's Summer/The Green Ray has numerous dates as intertitles, but I couldn't name any of them offhand.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

June 12: Diary of Anne Frank

Today is Anne's birthday (she'd be 75). On her 13th birthday, she got her diary. I'd have to research to see what day the family went into hiding. August 4 is when they were discovered.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Here's another floating holiday and corresponding movie to add a la Thanksgiving and Easter. Superbowl Sunday (not technically a holiday... yet) and John Frankenheimer's Black Sunday.

Ron Reed   

Ah.  Found good dates for Bernadette 

Um, hello? You already had a good date -- April 16, her feast day, just like A Man for All Seasons and Becket. Why Feb 11 instead?

Point is, the date has to correspond to an event actually portrayed in the film, or at least is mentioned. I wasn't sure whether the film portrayed her death or not, but I was sure that it portrayed her first vision. But I'd love to have both dates available to me: does she die in the film? (Actually, this film may provide me with plenty of alternate dates, since I'm sure more than one vision is portrayed, and the dates are known for all of them: February 14, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28. March 1, 2, 3, 4, 25. April 7. July 16.)

...Joan was executed on May 30, 1431, and Bernadette died of tuberculosis in Nevers on April 16, 1879 (though the date you chose, February 11, was also appropriate, being the date of her first vision).

However, the date I gave for Vincent de Paul, July 19, appears to be from an older calendar; the current calendar seems to honor him on the day of his death, September 27, 1660.

The key question again, though: does Vincent die in MONSIEUR VINCENT?

Edited by Ron

Ron Reed   

June 12: Diary of Anne Frank

Today is Anne's birthday (she'd be 75).  On her 13th birthday, she got her diary.  I'd have to research to see what day the family went into hiding. August 4 is when they were discovered.

I've not seen the film, though I did see the play many years ago, and read the book in my childhood. Similar question as for SDG: does her birthday get celebrated in the movie? Seems to me it does. I'm guessing their discovery must also be an event in the film: if I remember right, it's not in the diary itself but hey, it would be an odd movie indeed that would leave that out.

Edited by Ron

Ron Reed   
Has anyone yet mentioned the day of Princess Diana's death, which sets things in motion in Amelie?

Perfect! Alan mentioned AMELIE, and this gives us a great date for it. I need to see AMELIE again: I've forgotten so much about it, including this bit. Nice call.

Ron Reed   

July 9-12: Mike Leigh's Four Days in July

Eric Rohmer's Summer/The Green Ray has numerous dates as intertitles, but I couldn't name any of them offhand.

Oooh, very nice, both. And I'm hoping to see GREEN RAY pretty soon, so it sounds like it will supply me with tons more possible choices. I'm thinking I'm in the honeymoon phase of list-making, here: so many movies, so many dates. But when I get to the point where there are ten specific dates to fill, what's the chance of tracking down those specific movies? That's where movies like RAY will be useful. (That's also the point - if not well before - when I give in and start grabbing documentaries.)

: What happens on March 17?

St. Patrick's Day.

Does that help?

Not yet! I'm afraid the details of the film have almost completely disappeared from my memory.

Ron "Eternal Sunshine" Reed

Edited by Ron

Ron Reed   
Here's another floating holiday and corresponding movie to add a la Thanksgiving and Easter. Superbowl Sunday (not technically a holiday... yet) and John Frankenheimer's Black Sunday.

Very nice. Way outside the box. Yes!

Ron wrote:

: December 7: From Here To Eternity, Pearl Harbor

Just thought of some other films that might fit this date.

The Final Countdown -- an American aircraft carrier travels back in time to the days before Pearl Harbour is attacked; the film climaxes with the attack itself.

A Man Called Peter -- Peter Marshall delivers a sermon about death and the afterlife but does not know why he felt the need to do so; then he picks up a hitch-hiking soldier, only to hear on the radio that Pearl Harbour has been attacked; he turns the car around.

The Godfather Part II -- Pearl Harbour is attacked on the day of Don Vito's birthday. One problem: the birthdate on Don Vito's tombstone in the FIRST Godfather movie is NOT December 7. (Speaking of continuity errors, The Godfather Part III includes both the election AND the death of Pope John Paul I, but it erroneously says these things took place in 1979, not 1978.) (Oh, which reminds me, a key event in The Godfather Part II takes place in Cuba on New Year's Eve 1958, when Fidel Castro overthrew the Batista regime.)

Empire of the Sun -- The Japanese attack Shanghai concurrently with their attack on Pearl Harbour. Thing is, because of the International Date Line, the attack on Shanghai technically occurs on December 8, while the attack on Pearl Harbour occurs on December 7.

SDG   

Point is, the date has to correspond to an event actually portrayed in the film, or at least is mentioned.

Ooooohhhhh. Sorry again. I missed that. I was just looking for films that have an obvious connection to a specific day or would make especially appropriate viewing on that day.

Well, let's see. We're definitely still good with Faustyna for Divine Mercy Sunday (i.e., the second Sunday in Easter) -- the movie directly portrays her efforts to get that day observed as a feast in the Church calendar. It might be possible to fix dates for other events in the film (specific visions, etc.), and since the film does deal with her death it would also be possible to link it to Faustina's own feast day, October 5. However, the film makes a point of Divine Mercy Sunday being the Sunday after Easter, so that should be the day par excellence for that film. But you can get at least two dates out of this one if you want them.

For Song of Bernadette, we're technically good for Bernadette's feast day, April 16, since the film does deal with her death. However, I'm inclined to go back to your original suggestion of February 11, the date of the first vision (which I've also just verified is celebrated as the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, so it works out just as well for the Church calendar). The other obvious date for this one would be February 25, the date of Bernadette's discovery of the hidden spring that has resulted in so many miracles of healing. So that's at least three solid dates for Song of Bernadette.

For Monsieur Vincent, though, it's trickier. It's been a number of years since I've seen the film, and while I don't definitively remember whether he dies, I suspect it doesn't follow his story out quite that far (almost though). September 27 still seems to me the most appropriate date to set aside for the film, but that's not the question you've set for us, is it?

It might be possible to dig up specific dates for events in Vincent's life that the film portrays, such as the date in which he arrived in Chatillon-les-Dombes (the first scene in the film), but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. Given how you've defined the challenge, I suspect this film isn't a good match. Too bad, because it's a lovely film, and I doubt if any other film has a better claim on September 27. Perhaps we can do another, slightly different list, significantly overlapping with the present list, consisting of films that make for especially appropriate viewing on specific days of the year.

Ron Reed   

For Monsieur Vincent, though, it's trickier. ...It might be possible to dig up specific dates for events in Vincent's life that the film portrays, such as the date in which he arrived in Chatillon-les-Dombes (the first scene in the film), but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. .

I figure MONSIEUR VINCENT will end up on here in a while. It happens I've been trying to get myself a copy to watch - I bid on a couple eBay auctions within the past few weeks - so once I land me a copy, I'll figure out dates for key scenes and put it in somewhere. Poking around the web for his chronology, I've become all the more interested in seeing the film.

Given how you've defined the challenge, I suspect this film isn't a good match. Too bad, because it's a lovely film, and I doubt if any other film has a better claim on September 27. Perhaps we can do another, slightly different list, significantly overlapping with the present list, consisting of films that make for especially appropriate viewing on specific days of the year.

Yes, that would definitely be possible! I shall continue on my own peculiar quest, but people are quite welcome to toss in dates more loosely defined: for one thing, we'll get a full calendar sooner!

Ron Reed   

Ron wrote:

: December 7: From Here To Eternity, Pearl Harbor

Just thought of some other films that might fit this date.... The Final Countdown ...A Man Called Peter ...The Godfather Part II

Your GODFATHER ideas are great! Following up with some of that on the web, I found out that, just before Sonny is killed, the radio is playing Bobby Thompson's "Shot Heard Round The World" - so that's definitely going on my list. Maybe the greatest (or anyway, the most famous?) moment in baseball, slipped quietly into one of the great films. Bullseye!

Empire of the Sun -- The Japanese attack Shanghai concurrently with their attack on Pearl Harbour.  Thing is, because of the International Date Line, the attack on Shanghai technically occurs on December 8, while the attack on Pearl Harbour occurs on December 7

Oooh, lovely! I really liked that film - and the nifty Date Line business, and the back-to-back dates with Pearl Harbor, make it very appealing for my calendar.