Ron Reed

Movie Calendar

1,142 posts in this topic

Ron wrote:

: Your GODFATHER ideas are great!

Thanks. It occurs to me that the Pope John Paul I stuff in Part III might be even MORE complicated than I let on. I do not recall at this point whether the film ever specified that the Pope in question WAS John Paul I -- what I DO remember is that the Pope in question is secretly poisoned very shortly after he is elected, and that this seems to reflect the conspiracy theories that have come up, concerning the death and short reign of John Paul I; plus, of course, there is the fact that both John Paul I and the Pope of this film reigned in the late 1970s. On the other hand, Part III introduces us to this Pope before he is elected to that position, when he is still just a Cardinal, and he is given the name Cardinal Lamberto, whereas the real Pope John Paul I's birth name was Albino Luciani. So the events of that film may not be an exact-enough match with real history.

Re: the attack on Pearl Harbour, it also occurs to me that this event is depicted in the fascinating animated documentary Victory Through Air Power, which was originally produced in 1943 and was never made public again until the Walt Disney on the Front Lines two-disc DVD set came out last month. But yeah, I guess that's a documentary, so it might not count. Still, it's kinda interesting, seeing those things depicted in a semi-realistic cartoon format ...

The Godfather bit got me thinking about gangster movies based on real life (al Capone, et al.) I'm sure you could fill in some dates from them. Valentines Day Massacre, the day Capone was sentenced, etc.

Some Like it Hot for the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

Some Like it Hot for the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

Really? Can you believe, I haven't seen that movie? Say more?...

If you can believe it I haven't seen it either. From the synopsis I read the St. Valentine's Day massacre is witnessed by the two leads and this forces them to go into hiding and dress as ladies and meet Marilyn Monroe (hubba hubba).

The Motorcycle Diaries lists a variety of dates, but Jan. 4 is probably the best to include in your calendar. That's the day they set of on their journey.

The Motorcycle Diaries lists a variety of dates, but Jan. 4 is probably the best to include in your calendar.  That's the day they set of on their journey.

Thank you muchly, good sir! So pleased that my calendar project still comes to your mind. When I go see MOTORCYCLE DIARIES, I'll be sure and take a notepad (in case one of the alternate dates becomes useful later on).

Just so happens my own attention has been returned to the calendar project, of late. The great flood in O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? is slated for July 21, so the action of the film is neatly laid out in five days, starting July 17. Also, the newspaper that burns up in the fire is dated July 13.

And in SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, when we see Sully's Director's Card (from his shoe), it's clearly dated January 2, 1941.

With lots of movie watching slated for the next few weeks, I should be able to add a few more dates to the old calendar.

Thanks again, Darrel!

Sweet.

In EVIL DEAD 2 (suitable Hallowe'en viewing, don't you think?) there are two dates mentioned. October 1, when the scientist dadc records his reel-to-reel message, and September 2, spoken by the mother peering out from the chained cellar door: "

Hey Ron, here's another one for you... I watched Psycho over the Halloween weekend. A title card over the opening shot reads "December 11th".

And for August 9th, All the Presidents Men... that's the date Nixon resigned.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Hey Ron, here's another one for you...  I watched Psycho over the Halloween weekend.

Ah, another thematic viewer...

A title card over the opening shot reads "December 11th".

Sweet! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!

And for August 9th, All the Presidents Men...  that's the date Nixon resigned.

Nifty. One fictional, one historical. biggrin.gif

Thanks for keeping your eyes open, BT's...

Ron

Edited by Ron

Terminator begins on May 12, I know. I can't remember how many days it spans, though.

Terminator begins on May 12, I know. I can't remember how many days it spans, though.

Tempting. I could move BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI to the 13th, but that would eliminate THE DREAMERS. Which is mostly a crummy movie, but i really like the tie-in with cinema history.

Oh, not to worry! Since TERMINATOR takes more than one day, I bet I can come up with a later date. Another reason to watch this one...

Tempting. I could move BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI to the 13th, but that would eliminate THE DREAMERS. Which is mostly a crummy movie, but i really like the tie-in with cinema history.

Oh, not to worry! Since TERMINATOR takes more than one day, I bet I can come up with a later date. Another reason to watch this one...

I only knew that offhand because when I saw it last year for the first time, the titlecard came up reading MAY 12, 1984, 4:something a.m. and I was born May 12, 1984 at 6:something a.m. so I thought "Hey, I'm being born right now." Which was odd. smile.gif

I think, but I could very well be wrong, that Terminator takes place from May 12-14. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I only knew that offhand because when I saw it last year for the first time, the titlecard came up reading MAY 12, 1984, 4:something a.m. and I was born May 12, 1984 at 6:something a.m. so I thought "Hey, I'm being born right now." Which was odd. smile.gif

Oh, now that's the coolest!

Well, Ron, I'll try this again and hope the post doesn't delete. You may have to re-enter this on your list.

The final scenes of Gallipoli take place over the days of Aug 6th and 7th, 1915... during the British Navy's landing at Suvalo Bay and the Battle of The Nek.

Well, Ron, I'll try this again and hope the post doesn't delete.  You may have to re-enter this on your list.

Oh, how odd! So there was some sort of global problem with the board? I also noticed that my recent Movie Journal entry was no longer there. Thanks for the heads up!

Last night I watched the wonderful BEFORE THE SUNRISE. Perfect for my calendar! It takes place within maybe 12 hours, and the characters eventually tell us it's June 16 to June 17. Sweet.

Anyone know if BEFORE THE SUNSET also takes place on a specific date?

Ron, did you see some weird, funky, translated-into-French-and-then-back-into-English versions of a couple of Richard Linklater films or something?

Ron, did you see some weird, funky, translated-into-French-and-then-back-into-English versions of a couple of Richard Linklater films or something?

All the Linklater I've seen was in the original Swahili. Why do you ask?

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if the other films of his you've seen had titles like THE SLACKER, THE DAZED AND THE CONFUSED, THE SUBURBIA or WAKING THE LIFE.

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if the other films of his you've seen had titles like THE SLACKER, THE DAZED AND THE CONFUSED, THE SUBURBIA or WAKING THE LIFE.

I think that's THE WAKING THE LIFE.

This one might be a stretch.

From today in history (1/12) --

1997: HAL, the computer in Stanley Kubrick's movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, informs the crew that he was built on this day.

Here's an opportunity to see one of Tony Curtis' best performances. 37 years ago today (1/18/67), Albert DeSalvo aka The Boston Strangler, was convicted of his crimes. A year later, Richard Fleischer's film The Boston Strangler was released, starring Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda, and George Kennedy. Curtis was a Golden Globe nominee for this performance.

Feb. 22 Miracle Today is the day the US beat the USSR in Lake Placid.

March 11 - Romeo and Juliet marry on this date