Ron Reed

Movie Calendar

1,240 posts in this topic

March 28 - The Hours. Today is the date on which Virginia Woolf walked into the river with her pockets full of rocks.

Today (12 June) is Anne Frank's birthday. She recieved her diary for her birthday, so I would suspect that it would be fitting for The Diary of Anne Frank to be listed today.

Another event on this date is Medgar Evers' murder. But all I've found so far are a couple of TV films (one a doc) about it.

kenmorefield wrote:

: Darrel Manson wrote:

: : Another event on this date is Medgar Evers' murder. But all I've found so far are a

: : couple of TV films (one a doc) about it.

:

: Ghosts of Mississippi deals with the events surrounding the attempts to prosecute

: Evers's killer 30 years later. It features Alec Baldwin as the D.A. and Whoopi Goldberg

: as his widow.

One of these days I've got to post my interview with the real-life D.A. that Baldwin played somewhere. It turns out he's a pretty devout Christian, but the film never, ever, ever lets this on -- and why would it, since it was directed by Rob Reiner? Best to let the only talk of religion come from that racist killer played by James Woods. I alluded to this at the beginning of my Books & Culture article on Amistad.

I have another one for 9/11, although no where near as serious as the films already listed on this date, but a film that has an odd connection to 9/11. The Big Lebowski opens on the evening of 9/11. How do I know this? Because in the opening narrative sequence, the Dude is at a Ralphs supermarket purchasing a carton of Half & Half creamer, which he pays for by check. A check written out in the amount of $0.69, and dated Sept 11th, 91.

Oh, and in the background there is a television playing George Bush Sr.'s address to Congress about the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, and his famous quote of, "This aggression will not stand." Now, I don't know if 9/11 was the actual date of this address (in fact, I'm sure it most likely occured a year earlier, since by Sept. 91 we had already defeated Iraq and liberated Kuwait), but wow... what an eerie date for the Coen's to pick, and an eerie soundbite to play with our knowledge of what happens 10 years later. Especially since it was around this time, a time when American troops were on Saudi soil, that Osama Bin Laden supposedly began shaping his views of U.S. - Arab relations, and what his role in the coming years would become (I know I'm really over simplifying this, but I'm a little pressed for time this morning).

ralphscheck.jpg

post-303-1118675265_thumb.jpg

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

The opening monologue in The Breakfast Club begins with "Saturday, March 24th. Shermer High School. Shermer, Illinois..."

In The Terminator, a freshly-arrived Kyle Reese takes down a cop and asks him for the date. The bewildered cop says "Thursday...uh...May twelfth..."

Doesn't the opening preamble in Little Shop of Horrors begin "On the 29th Day of September..." ?

May 1st: The Shining

In order to justify his descent into madness, Jack Torrance asks of his frightened wife:

"Does it matter to you at all that the owners have placed their complete confidence and trust in me, and that I have signed a letter of agreement, a contract, in which I have agreed to look after the Overlook Hotel until May the first?"

Edit: Isn't it about time we take a look at the dates we've filled?

Edited by Jason Bortz

November 13: The Amityville Horror

The date of the DeFeo murders.

-------------------

Edited by Jason Bortz

Edit: Isn't it about time we take a look at the dates we've filled?

That's the first post in the thread, although it does need to be caught up a bit after the recent flurry.

You guys are the best! Calendar updated, 99 down, 266 to go.

Of course, this is the easy part. Can you imagine when there is one date left to fill, and every movie we watch we're waiting to find it? Sheesh.

Pretty cool, though. It would be fun to make a website where you click on the date and see the clip where the date is mentioned, or shown, and you'd have to guess the movie. Something like that.

Or a wall calendar where each day has a still from a movie.

(How would anybody remember what date the karate championship takes place on? Or the Breakfast Club's detention? Or...

We're a strange lot.

October 30th ("Devil's Night"): The Crow

October 3-4 (3rd already accounted for) is also the date and duration of the failed US raid on Mogadishu, the setting for Black Hawk Down.

There is bound to be a film that includes the signing of Magna Carta, I just don't know which one. June 15

August 1: The final diary entry date in The Diary of Anne Frank.

Oct. 26, 1881: OK Corral shootout (a whole TON of films, but the date's already filled)

July 30, 1864: Battle of the Crater, Petersburg, VA (Cold Mountain)

April 3, 1996: Unabomber apprehended (The Insider)

Edited by mrmando

Sept. 1, 1992: Bobby Fischer's press conference at the opening of his rematch with Boris Spassky in Montenegro (Searching for Bobby Fischer)

Edited by mrmando

And how about A Tale of Two Cities for July 14?

Feb. 29: The Pirates of Penzance

Sept. 3, 1939: Chamberlain announces that Great Britain has declared war on Germany (Hope and Glory)

Edited by mrmando

109 down, 257 to go.

Feb 29 - PENZANCE. Please enlighten?

Just remembered this old post about the Dekalog:

Dekalog One

Edited by Tim Willson

Feb 29 - PENZANCE.  Please enlighten?

It's a plot point. Frederic is all set to graduate from his indenture to the pirates on his 21st birthday, until the Pirate King reveals that Frederic was born Feb. 29, so he has a few birthdays to go.

Speaking of Gilbert & Sullivan, The Mikado premiered in London on March 14, 1885 (Topsy Turvy).

It occurs to me that you could use Holiday Inn for a few dates if you get desperate (Feb. 12 & 22 in particular).

Other films for Oct. 26: Wyatt Earp, My Darling Clementine, Gunfight at the OK Corral.

And of course, April 14, 1865 (Birth of a Nation, Abraham Lincoln, The Lincoln Conspiracy, Prince of Players, The Prisoner of Shark Island) and Feb. 22, 1974 (The Assassination of Richard Nixon).

Edited by mrmando

March 26th: Beethoven's death and the beginning of the search for his Immortal Beloved.

Just watched House of Sand and Fog and am remembering the phone call at the beginning of the film, where Kathy's mother says she's coming to San Francisco on the 18th. I think there's even a shot of a calendar at one point in the film

Film: Shackleton starring K. Brannaugh

On August 8, Ernest Shackleton's Trans-Antarctic Expedition on board the Endurance set sail.

August 30 was the date that Shackleton retrieved the last of his men from Elephant Island.

Film: Shackleton starring K. Brannaugh

On August 8, Ernest Shackleton's Trans-Antarctic Expedition on board the Endurance set sail.

August 30 was the date that Shackleton retrieved the last of his men from Elephant Island.

Just to clarify, that's August 8, 1914, and August 30, 1916. It was a 2-year ordeal, not a 3-week pleasure cruise.

Other possibilities include the excellent 2000 documentary The Endurance as well as the 1919 film South, which consists of footage shot by Frank Hurley, a member of Shackleton's expedition.

Whoops, just read the rules: documentaries don't count. The Branagh film is a made-for-TV dramatization/reenactment, so maybe it's acceptable?

Edited by mrmando

117 down, 249 to go...

It's been named, but I think of all the images for April 14th, Cameron's upended Titanic would be a ringer...