Ron Reed

Movie Calendar

1,257 posts in this topic

Don't Breathe - the date Sept 28, 2016 flashes briefly on a home alarm system screen.

BETWEEN HELL AND HIGH WATER

For a while the lads drive around in a vehicle with a sticker in the lower corner of the windshield, driver's side. It says 10 14.  My guess is that that's the expiry date for the vehicle's license or registration.  Am I right?  And if so, does that mean October 14th, or does it mean October 2014?

11 hours ago, Ron Reed said:

BETWEEN HELL AND HIGH WATER

For a while the lads drive around in a vehicle with a sticker in the lower corner of the windshield, driver's side. It says 10 14.  My guess is that that's the expiry date for the vehicle's license or registration.  Am I right?  And if so, does that mean October 14th, or does it mean October 2014?

I lived in Texas about 30 years ago, and I do believe that is the latter - month and year.

Hey Ron, Have you ever tried to crack the dates for THE GUNS OF NAVARONE?  I saw it on Saturday -  it takes place over 5 days, sometime in 1943.  I believe it takes place in the winter, since there are a few scenes in the snow, so it could be early or late 1943.  I couldn't find any exact dates, though.

14 hours ago, John Drew said:

Hey Ron, Have you ever tried to crack the dates for THE GUNS OF NAVARONE?  I saw it on Saturday -  it takes place over 5 days, sometime in 1943.  I believe it takes place in the winter, since there are a few scenes in the snow, so it could be early or late 1943.  I couldn't find any exact dates, though.

I haven't.  Good lead.  I wonder if the novel gives any clues?

Queen of Katwe: near the beginning one of the sisters while out selling corn has a t-shirt on that has Oct 25-26 on the back (for a concert or some such thing). Toward the end there is a poster for the book Queen of Katwe with the date Oct. 9.

Denial has a load, some of which I think you'll really like, like the one during opening credits while Deborah feeds her dog and NPR Morning Edition is on the radio and gives the date Nov. 11. Others as the film progresses, Sept 25, Jan 11 (start of trial date on screen), Nov. 30 (date on a doc mentioned in trial), July 25, Sept. 19, April 11 (verdict date on screen). There are also various "Day xx" during the trial, but with weekends, off days, etc. it would be difficult to assign dates to them.

Sully mentions January 14th and 15th a bunch of times. Other dates of events could probably be determined.

A Man Called Ove - Ove goes to a neighbor and tells her she borrowed his hose and Aug 27.

On September 23, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Darrel Manson said:

A Man Called Ove - Ove goes to a neighbor and tells her she borrowed his hose and Aug 27.

I'm sure he was glad to learn where his Aug 27 had gone. Losing a whole day can be very disconcerting. Lose a whole weekend, that's the kind of thing they make movies about.

A couple of dates from the Dr. Phibes double-feature I attended last night.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes

April 20, 1921 - Date of death of Victoria Phibes

April 21, 1921 - Date of death of Dr. Anton Phibes

Nov. 14th, 1904 - Date of an Anton Phibes organ recital.

The-Abominable-Dr-Phibes-Anton-Phibes-poster-1.jpg

Dr. Phibes Rises Again

A journal entry has two dates - Dec. 3rd, 1927 and June 1st, 1928

Edited by John Drew

Elle  - Michele gets a text on her phone that shows a date 15 December (except it's in French)

Some extra dates for Rosemary's Baby -

June 28th, 1967 has been covered as the birth of the baby.

Oct 4th & 5th, 1966 - marked on the kitchen calendar as the dates for trying to conceive.

Nov. 1st, 1966 - a date Rosemary is supposed to see Dr. Hill for some more blood work.

Dec. 31, 1966 - Jan 1st, 1967 (or is it YEAR ONE?) - New Year's eve party at the Castevet's home.

The Mephisto Waltz

Dec. 31st - Jan. 1st - New Years eve party at the home of Duncan Ely. 

If I learned anything at tonight's double feature, it's that Satanists really like to party it up at New Years.

Edited by John Drew

31st October.jpg

Edited by Ron Reed
want to insert image but can't figure it out

From my brother...

"Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children". There are so many dates you wouldn't be able to keep up.  Particularly September 3 and 4 I believe it was. The opening credits jump on a map from location to location with dates under each one.

I just did a Date Movie for November 2.  Somebody here posted about SPECTRE, that it opens on the Day of the Dead, so I tracked down a pile of other Day of the Dead movies to add to the mix.  And learned that sometimes the Day of the Dead is specified in the film as being November 2 (like in AT MIDNIGHT I'LL TAKE YOUR SOUL, or THE BOOK OF LIFE, for example), but sometimes November 1 (UNDER THE VOLCANO begins with a title: "Cuernavaca Mexico / November 1, 1938 / The Day of the Dead").  In the films that don't specify a specific date (SPECTRE, for example), I just made a judgment call: in this case, I put them on November 2, since that's the video I was making!  But I wonder, how might one better differentiate?

April 14, 1642—first New World law (Massachusetts Bay) requiring all children be taught to read and write….Beth Travis (Kristen Stewart) informs her class of this in Certain Women (2016).  Kelly Reichardt’s film seems like a tribute to the struggles and quiet strength of women of the Northwest.

Edited by phlox

BREATHLESS

includes a sequence shot among the crowds during Eisenhower and De Gaule's motorcade down the Champs d'Elysees to lay a wreath at the grave of the unknown soldier.  Which took place September 4, 1959.

Reminds me of a sequence in Haskell Wexler's MEDIUM COOL, where the character makes her way through the crowds at the 1968 Chicago Democratic Convention, which can be dated August 28, 1968. 

From Loving: When they are charged with their crime it states the date they were married is June 2, 1958. There is also a shot of the marriage license, but I think the date is too small to be useful.

From Miss Sloane: The date of the opening Senate committee hearing is shown onscreen as April 18. During the questioning the Senator refers to her actions on Oct. 12. The final hearing is April 28.

Winter Sleep - Feb 4.

Ron, I think you're going to like this one. at about the 160 minute mark, there is a scene with a calendar in the background showing the months of Ocak and Subat. Subat 4 has a red box around it. (there is, btw another one page/day calendar in the room that confirms it is the 4th of Subat.) Now one could search on line for the Turkish name of months, but if you pay attention you will note that Ocak has 31 days, and Subat has 28. Ergo...

21 hours ago, Darrel Manson said:

Winter Sleep - Feb 4.

Ron, I think you're going to like this one. at about the 160 minute mark, there is a scene with a calendar in the background showing the months of Ocak and Subat. Subat 4 has a red box around it. (there is, btw another one page/day calendar in the room that confirms it is the 4th of Subat.) Now one could search on line for the Turkish name of months, but if you pay attention you will note that Ocak has 31 days, and Subat has 28. Ergo...

Ergo, the film doesn't take place in a year divisible by four!

I love those date references that are sideways - a different name for a month, or something that has to be deduced. Also love the marked calendars, and page-a-day calendars. This one is a winner all round!

Edited by Ron Reed

Ron Reed wrote:
: Ergo, the film doesn't take place in a year divisible by four!

Actually, it might, if it took place in a year divisible by one hundred (but not by four hundred).

Hammett (1982)

About a third of the way through, Hammett visits the library and asks for a copy of the January 3rd, 1928 San Francisco Chronicle.

Edited by John Drew

Posted (edited)

Troll Hunter (2010)

I'm not sure if Norway uses month/day or day/month when denoting dates numerically, but a date filled out on a government form reads 09/10/09.  I'm going to assume October, just from how folks are dressed, but then I wouldn't know if Norwegian attire for late summer or early fall is all that different.

At the end of the film is a snippet from a news conference that takes place on June 25th, 2010.

Edited by John Drew

Updated list is now available in Post #1.

Posted (edited)

SILENCE

Early in the film, the voiceover cites the date May 25, as well as the year (which I forget).  I believe it's the date on which the two priests arrive in China before heading to Japan.

The novel is a fictionalized account of historic events, so if one were willing to conflate fiction and history (which I, and the movies, are quite willing to do), other events could likely be dated. For now, I know that Giuseppe Chiara, who is the equivalent of Rodrigues in the film, died August 24, 1685. For other events the internet yields only years.

Terrific film.

Edited by Ron Reed