Sept. 4, 1957: Crisis at Central High or The Ernest Green Story (both TV movies)

Jan. 3, 1920: Yankees purchase Babe Ruth (The Babe, The Babe Ruth Story)

Er, but it sank on April 15.

Not without the fatal collision with the iceberg on the 14th. So--both days would be valid, 'twould seem!

Forrest Gump must be full of "dates", since historical footage was edited into the film. I don't have a copy and it's been awhile, so I can't help with specifics at the moment.

Jan. 3, 1920: Yankees purchase Babe Ruth (The Babe, The Babe Ruth Story)

120 down, 246 to go. Two more and we're a third of the way there!

From here on, if a film has multiple dates in it, I'm going to list the film beside all its dates, with all but the principle date in italics. It occurs to me that we may end up (years from now) in a position where all dates can be covered if we allow one film to show up more than once: that can be the initial goal, then our next goal is to get it down to a single date for each film. Then we work to the point where the date is actually mentioned or shown in the film, and then to the point where the date is actually shown, and then we (or our grandchildren) are done!

So please do submit multiple dates when they occur to you. For example, THE DEATH OF KLINGHOFFER (whatever that is - I keep thinking Hogan's Heroes...) covers three dates: I've posted them all. In fact, it was Darrel's post, combined with Tim's FORREST GUMP reference, that put this idea in my head. Heck, I'm on vacation: maybe I'll work back through my notes from last year and add in all the multi-date movies. (Ah! A new thread title suggests itself....)

One further thing: do let me know when the date is actually shown or mentioned in a film, if you happen to know that. I know that many of these references don't come from currently watching the film, so that's fine, but when you do pick up a date from a film you're watching, please do mention if the date is shown or mentioned - for graphics or sound bites or clips later, should such a day ever arrive... I'll mark those entries in color.

Oh, one further further thing. I'm going to start a list at the end of the original posting which lists films where we know there are dates, but don't have the dates handy. In case anybody ever wants to watch one and fill in the dates. This comes to mind because I just viewed CINDERELLA MAN, and - apart from my disappointment at not seeing Russ Crowe in glass slippers - I was tickled to note a whole lot of dates onscreen. And me without a pen...

Here's an opportunity to see one of Tony Curtis' best performances.  37 years ago today (1/18/67), Albert DeSalvo aka The Boston Strangler, was convicted of his crimes.  A year later, Richard Fleischer's film The Boston Strangler was released, starring Tony Curtis, Henry Fonda, and George Kennedy.  Curtis was a Golden Globe nominee for this performance.

Quick question: does the movie portray the conviction?

Ron:

July 3rd=Gettysburg

(Actually the battle lasted several days, but this was the decisive day, including Pickett's charge.)

Peace.

Ken

I haven't seen the film, nor do I know my Civil War history. Now that I'm including more than one date per movie, can you take a stab at what other dates the movie covers?

(Can you tell I'm on vacation?)

After a day adding in all the multiple dates from films, as well as Ken's new additions, we've got...

160 down, 206 to go!

(FORREST GUMP was fun...)

Updated very early June 23, 2005: 172 down, 194 to go

(130 separate films + 42 dates covered by films already used)

Ron:

This is not a date in the movie, but Taxi Driver is so inextricably linked to March 30, 1981 (Reagan assassination attempt), that it might fit.

Yes, a close link indeed. But I'm sticking to dates that are actually portrayed or mentioned in the film. (Though I've just added March 30, 1981 because it shows up in FORREST GUMP - the chronology of which is the latest of my self indulgent and obsessive projects.)

Then again, I would totally understand if you want to steer clear of the whole killer phenomenon, as giving them a place on lists such as these is a sort of notoriety that many of them crave.

Nah, it's all there, nice and nasty. (Though I suppose if the film itself is too nasty, I might skip it.)

Just think. We get ten more dates covered, we're HALFWAY THERE!

Listmaster Ronnie

I know this date's already covered, but did we cover the fact that The Godfather Part II has the Pearl Harbour attack taking place on Vito Corleone's birthday? This is somewhat problematic, as the birthdate on Vito's tombstone in Part I is NOT December 7, but between a story element and a set-design element, I tend to privilege the former.

FWIW, a key scene in A Man Called Peter also takes place on December 7, 1941.

Have we got Lawrence of Arabia covered at all? Do the dates need to be mentioned in the film itself, or is it enough to know that --

-- his fatal motorcycle accident took place on May 13, 1935 (he was in a coma for six days and died in hospital on May 19; his funeral took place at St Nicholas Church in Moreton on May 21, but the film seems to depict it taking place in London instead);

-- the Arabs took Akaba (or Aqaba) from the Turks on July 6, 1917; and

-- Lawrence was captured and sexually abused by the Turks in Deraa on November 20, 1917.

Sorry, don't know the dates for some of the other key events in that film yet.

I know this date's already covered, but did we cover the fact that The Godfather Part II has the Pearl Harbour attack taking place on Vito Corleone's birthday?  This is somewhat problematic, as the birthdate on Vito's tombstone in Part I is NOT December 7, but between a story element and a set-design element, I tend to privilege the former.

Got Pearl Harbour (now), but do you know what date was on the tombstone?

FWIW, a key scene in A Man Called Peter also takes place on December 7, 1941.

Got it.

Have we got Lawrence of Arabia covered at all?  Do the dates need to be mentioned in the film itself, or is it enough to know that --

-- his fatal motorcycle accident took place on May 13, 1935 (he was in a coma for six days and died in hospital on May 19; his funeral took place at St Nicholas Church in Moreton on May 21, but the film seems to depict it taking place in London instead);

-- the Arabs took Akaba (or Aqaba) from the Turks on July 6, 1917; and

-- Lawrence was captured and sexually abused by the Turks in Deraa on November 20, 1917.

Sorry, don't know the dates for some of the other key events in that film yet.

Those are all great! And two or three fill in empty dates on the calendar. Which I'll update when we're halfway. About three more dates to go, at this point...

The tombstone says April 28 1887.

Here's another one for ya, Ron. I (finally) just started watching Good Bye Lenin, and it begins with a TV broadcast of a space launch of some kind, and the opening voice-over says, "On August 26, 1978, we were world-class. East German citizen Sigmund Jahn was the first German in space. On that day, things in our family started going downhill."

Oh, here's another one -- the first scene after Good Bye Lenin's prologue takes place on October 7, 1989 -- East Germany's 40th birthday parade, attended by Mikhail Gorbachev.

Oh, weird. I just looked up the election and death dates for Pope John Paul I, and it turns out he was elected on August 26, 1978 -- the same day the first German went to space. He died on September 28 of that same year.

I mention this Pope because The Godfather Part III (1990) depicts the election and subsequent death of a Pope, and the conspiracy around that Pope's death is no doubt meant to echo the conspiracy theories around the death of Pope John Paul I. HOWEVER, the movie says it takes place in 1979, which is one year too late, and the name it gives to this Pope-to-be when he is still just a Cardinal is NOT the same as the real Pope's original surname.

So, use these dates if you like, or don't use them, depending on your criteria.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Okay, I thought we'd reached the halfway point, so I gave a close look at what we've got, eliminated some dates covered only vaguely by a movie like, say, THIRTEEN DAYS, narrowed things down a bit, and here's where we stand;

172 down, 194 to go

(134 separate films + 38 dates covered by films already used)

So. Eleven more dates filled and we're halfway.

Ernest Green is one of the "Little Rock Nine" -- the African-American students who integrated Central High School in Little Rock, AR, in 1957.

Leon Klinghoffer was the American Jew killed by hijackers on the cruise ship Achille Lauro. I thought The Death of Klinghoffer was only an opera ... is there a film too?

Must be some good dates to be gleaned from Gods and Generals, but that'd mean watching it again ...

I am recalling that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory mentions the specific date of the factory visit. I would rather watch that than Gods and Generals.

FROM 2001

1992:

Sunday, January 12

HAL 9000, Production Unit 3, Artificial Intelligence Computer System becomes operational at HAL Communications plant in Urbana, Illinois [HAL Communications is A.I. subsidiary of IBM].

1994:

Wednesday, May 25

Dedication of first United States Lunar Base.

Monday, February 17

08:45 EST

Poole performs EVA to replace original AE-35 unit using work pod B to discover if unit will fail and if HAL has provided erroneous data.

09:16 EST

HAL shuts down communications between work pod and Discovery 1, then murders Poole using pod manipulators to cut air supply hose and send him and pod tumbling into deep space.

April 14, 1994: The day starts with both Brodie Bruce and T.S. Quint being dumped by their respective steadies, Rene Mosier and Brandi Svenning. Rene starts to date Shannon Hamilton as a way of revenge (Shannon at one point introduces Rene to his mother), while Brandi agrees to go on her father's game show, "Truth or Date," in place of Julie Dwyer

From Mallrats

December 22, 1995: Mister Newman of the Complex Corporation gets his girlfriend drunk and then pays a kid from the mail room to sleep with her, so he can break up with her guilt free when she confesses the next day.

From dialog in Dogma.

May 27, 1996: A homeless man, who is later given the name John Doe Jersey, is attacked on the Asbury Park boardwalk by the Stygian Triplets, demos from hell that work for Azrael. The man is put on life support, but the state decides that he should be taken off. The Arch-bishop of Trenton Diocese decides to oppose this and uses it as a rallying cry to stop euthanasia. Little does the Church or State know that it is in fact God trapped in the body of John Doe Jersey. God had been on one of his ski-ball sabbaticals.

First scene in Dogma. Euthanasia material described in film.

June 1, 1996: In New Jersey, Cardinal Ignatius Glick, head of the Vatican's P.R. Force, announces that the Catholic religion will be getting a long needed aesthetic overhaul thanks to a multi-million dollar advertising blitz dubbed, "Catholicism, WOW!"

The new symbol of the religion becomes "Buddy Christ." To help launch the "Catholicism, WOW!" campaign Cardinal Glick is going to reeducate the St. Michael's Church. The gateway to the soon-to-be hundred year old church will serve as a passageway of plenary indulgence, a little know Catholic belief that offers all who pass though its arches a morally clean slate. The media event is covered Grant Hicks.

From Jay and Silent Bob #4. One week prior to the issue. Seen also in Dogma.

June 6, 1996: A resurrected Rufus drops in on Bethany, Jay, and Silent Bob. He joins their crusade. Dogma[/]

********* Back to the Future

This is Spinal Tap

1991: Tap begins search for new drummer; begins recording Break Like the Wind; announces reunion during MTV Video Music Awards (September 5); performs first live set since botched Japan tour at RIP Magazine party at Hollywood Palladium (October 6); conducts drummer auditions for upcoming tour (October 31).

1992: Inside Spinal Tap published in Britain; Ric Shrimpton joins Tap (January 30); Tap begins 10-day tour of the United Kingdom, Sweden, Norway and Germany (February 16); Tap begins eight-day tour of Australia and attends the Australian Record Industry Awards (March 2); Break Like the Wind released (March 17); Tap appears on Late Night With David Letterman (March 27); episode of The Simpsons features Tap (April); Tap plays at the Freddie Mercury tribute at Wembley Stadium (April 20); Tap plays Arnold Hall, Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs (May 17); Tap pays Orpheum Theater, Minneapolis (May 19); Tap plays Riverside Theatre, Milwaukee (May 21); Tap plays the Riviera, Chicago (May 22); Tap plays the Riverport Amphitheatre, St. Louis (May 24); Tap plays the Paramount Theatre, Denver (May 26); Tap plays the Paramount Theatre, Seattle (May 29); Tap plays the Center for the Performing Arts, Portland (May 30); Tap plays the Warfield Theatre, San Francisco (June 1-2); Tap plays Copley Symphony Hall, San Diego (June 3); Tap plays the Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles (June 5); Tap plays the Mesa Amphitheatre, Phoenix (June 6); Tap plays Fox Theater, Atlanta (June 12); Tap plays Carr Performing Arts Center, Orlando (June 13); Tap plays Riverbend Music Center, Cincinnati (June 16); Tap plays Nautica Stage, Cleveland (June 17); Tap plays Pine Knob near Detroit (June 19); Tap plays the Beacon Theater, New York (June 23); Tap plays Lisner Auditorium, Washington, D.C. (June 24); Tap plays Tower Theater, Philadelphia (June 25); Tap causes controversy at Great Woods Center for the Performing Arts near Boston when two biker chicks appear topless on stage during Big Bottom (June 26); Tap jets across five time zones to perform in St. John's, Barrie and Vancouver as part of Much Music's Great Canadian Party to celebrate Canada Day (July 1); Tap plays the Royal Albert Hall, London (July 7); Tap plays on ABC's Halloween Jam at Atlantic Studios (October 31); NBC airs A Spinal Tap Reunion (December 31).

Zelig

NOV 10 - Leonard Zelig first admitted as a mental patient to Manhattan Hospital.

AUGUST 11 - Leonard Zelig goes missing after his caretaking sister is involved in a murder/suicide.

HOLY WEEK - Pope Pius IX attacks Leonard Zelig for disrupting an Easter Week Vatican mass.

mrmando, thanks for the info on Ernest and Leon

Edited by Ron

Ron wrote:

: SPINAL TAP doesn't work for my purposes because none of those dates are in the

: movie itself.

Hmmm, one point I'm still hazy on -- I think I alluded to this when I offered the Lawrence of Arabia dates -- is whether the dates THEMSELVES have to be mentioned in a film, or whether it is enough to say, "Here is an historical event that could only have happened once, and we know from OTHER sources that it happened on this day."

Just wondering, does The Godfather Part III make the grade at all? That is, are you willing to consider the papal election and assassination depicted there to be identical to the election and alleged assassination of Pope John Paul I, even though the film gives us the wrong name for the pope and the wrong year for these events? Or does this film take place in some alternate universe, the dates of which the film neglects to give us?