Ron Reed

Movie Calendar

1,268 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

2010 (1984)

Jan 30, 2001 - Date that a White House directive was signed initiating protocol for the HAL 9000 to keep certain aspects of the Jupiter mission secret from the crew.  This goes against HAL's programming, causing his malfunction.

Edited by John Drew

Wild Wild West (1999)

May 10, 1869 - The driving of the Golden Spike at Promontory Summit, Utah.  This also played a prominent part in The Lone Ranger (2013).

THE BAD BATCH

There's a night scene between the overly pretty blonde girl and the overly muscular Cuban cannibal, where two dates are painted on a rock behind them: June 7 and September 12.  Both have years as well, but I didn't make a point of memorizing those.  

The Campaign (2012)

Oct 19, 2012 - this scene...

The election takes place on Nov. 6th, 2012.

I haven't seen this all the way through, but it probably has many more dates.

From Stephen King time travel novel about Lee Harvey Oswald et al. A true Date Movie, with a title that's nothing but a date.

Posted (edited)

BLOW OUT takes place in Philadelphia on the fictional Liberty Day - a special celebration, marking 100 years since the Liberty Bell was last rung. I don't know if the date shows up in the film, but I found this:

The Philadelphia Public Ledger, February 26, 1846: "The old Independence Bell rang its last clear note on Monday last in honor of the birthday of Washington and now hangs in the great city steeple irreparably cracked and dumb." http://www.ushistory.org/libertybell/

Feb 26 was a Thursday in 1846, so the preceding Monday - the date of the last ringing of the Independence Bell - would have been Feb 23. No idea why they celebrated George's birthday the day after his birthday, which was February 22.  (Actually, he was born Feb 11, but that was under the old Julian calendar; when they switched to the Gregorian calendar in 1752, his birthday became February 22).  I do realize that Washington's Birthday is always celebrated on a Monday, but that only began in 1968 when the Monday Holiday Law shifted several national observances from their specific dates to Mondays, providing more long weekends. Washington's celebration was moved to the third Monday of February, ensuring that it could never fall on his actual birthday, since the third Monday in February can never be celebrated later than February 21.

So I'm going to go with February 23, 1846 as the date of the last ringing of the Liberty Bell, citing the Philadelphia Public Ledger. That said, while the film could be set in February judging by the clothing, it's definitely not set in 1946. But there you go. I figure the screenwriter just thought it was a cool idea that the voice of liberty had been silenced for a hundred years - so who cares about history, right?

(I watched the film a few years ago with Jan Kiesser and some other friends. Jan was camera operator on the shoot, and had all kinds of great stories to tell. But I don't remember noticing any dates in the movie.)

Edited by Ron Reed

Chungking Express - the first section of the film concludes on May 1st, and we see a calendar change to April 29th and 30th leading up to that.

THE BIG SICK

June 10 and May 3, within a minute or so of each other. I hope to see the movie again (we had to leave before the end because my wife was feeling sick. Not big sick, just little sick...), so I'll provide a bit more detail.

The Andromeda Strain (1971)

Several dates during the opening credits appear on top secret government files for Project Scoop, and Project Wildfire including - 07-27-1970, Oct. 4, 1970, Nov. 11, 1970.

The crisis takes place over 4 days, beginning Feb. 5th, 1971 and ending Feb. 8th, 1971.

A secret congressional hearing on the matter takes place April 14th, 1971.

ATOMIC BLONDE

Lots of dates for Atomic Blonde, which takes place over several days in Nov. 1989 as the Berlin Wall came down.

June 12, 1987 - Film opens with a clip of Ronald Reagan's Tear Down This Wall speech in Berlin.

Nov. 6th, 1989 - A title card say "Nov. 1989". Moments later, a watch is stolen from an assassinated MI6 agent - the date on the watch shows 6.

Nov. 16th, 1989 - Film jumps ahead from the assassination, with a title card saying Nov. 1989 10 Days Later.

Bulk of the film takes place on Nov. 7th - 9th.

VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS

One date I'm sure of, the second I saw fleetingly and may be wrong.

July 17, 1975 - Date of the Apollo/Soyuz capsules docking, which opens the film.

March 18 - On a display screen on a sub, when Laureline is searching for Velarian.

John Drew wrote:
: Bulk of the film takes place on Nov. 7th - 9th.

The film refers to the Berlin Wall coming down, which happened (or began) on November 9.

SUPERMAN RETURNS

February 13 2006: Daily Planet editorial: "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman"

July 25 2006: Security camera footage of Superman breaking up a deli robbery 

Sep 27 2006: Superman saves space shuttle (assuming that the newspaper article comes out the next day?)

Sep 28 2006: Daily Planet headline: The Man Of Steel Is Back!

Sep 29 2006: Daily Planet headline: Superman Is Dead

(looks like the folks who mocked up the newspapers weren't in communication with the folks who created the security camera footage...)

Posted (edited)

FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF

Both dates in this film are fascinating.

June 5, 1985 is the date of the actual Cubs game at which Ferris catches a foul ball. The good people at Baseball Prospectus tracked that one down with some admirable movie/baseball sleuthing. 

However Saturday, September 28 was the date of the annual Von Steuben Day parade in 1985 - during which Ferris hijacked a float to sing Danke Schoen and Twist & Shout (with random passers-by doing the dance from "Thriller" on some steps). Note the float: "American Aid Society Salutes The 20th Anniversay Of The Steuben Parade" - yup, that's "Anniversay" - with a movie marquee in the background advertising Godzilla 85 and Teen Wolf. 

Edited by Ron Reed

GODFATHER III

As already noted in this thread, Godfather III includes a couple events which have real world parallels...

Aug 26, 1978: The election of the actual Pope John Paul I

Sep 28, 1978: The death of the actual Pope John Paul I

And the date on a couple newspapers...

Nov 15, 1979: Date on (fictional) newspaper headlines: Financial Times, "Building An Empire: Corleone Proposal..." and Wall Street Journal: "Immobiliare Takeover..."

There are also two other dateable real world events...

Aug 7, 1978: Radio report: "Pope Paul VI died last night at 9:40pm..."

Jun 18, 1982: Robert Calvi hangs himself from a bridge (or is hanged after being murdered elsewhere)

...and another dated (fictional) newspaper headline...

Mar 27, 1980: New York Times: New Pope Announces Investigation Into Vatican Bank Affairs

...as well as an opera poster for Cavalleria Rusticana with two dates, April 14 (the "Prima Rappresentazione," presumably the opening night, and presumably the night the Corleones attend to see Anthony's operatic debut, and several people die) and Apr 17

Detroit (2017)

Film begins on July 23, 1967, and continues into July 24th.  The bulk of the film takes place on July 25th-26th, the night of the Algiers Motel killings.

May 12th, 1968 is highlighted during a montage of the post-riot trial.

Paris, Texas - When Ann tells Travis about Jane's deposits into bank accounts, he asks what the date is today. Answer: First of Novemeber

UNBROKEN

Thanks for all your work on Unbroken, JD. Made it a breeze to find all those dates. I did notice one additional date, carved into the stone wall of the Japanese cell: August 18, 1942.

How peculiar that the film shows the title Day 45 for the rescue/capture by the Japanese, when in fact it was Day 47 (and occurred by them drifting ashore on the Marshall Islands, rather than being picked up at sea by a Japanese boat). Sigh. The movies.

Oh yeah, one other undated scene takes place at the Opening Ceremonies for the 1936 Olympics, which took place August 1.

Edited by Ron Reed

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN

Yup, it's loaded. And the climactic sequence happens on my birthday!

Opening credits:

Delhi 4th November 1944

4th January 1902 / Paris, France

13 Dec 1934

16th January 2016

4th November 1974

17.July 1982

Warsaw 22nd January 1943

Shanghai  22nd January 1945

3rd Sep 1943

Then... 

"Go to the loop. September 3rd, 1943."

"Puerto Rico. Here." 6 May 1972

Newspaper: April 16, 1915. "Two Torpedoes hit RMS Augusta, 894 Lost"

"September the 3rd, 1943."

"It is 1943. September 3rd, 1943. All day every day."

Sep 3, 1943: the bombing of the home (GORGEOUS SEQUENCE)

Reversing clock with Date on it, rewinds to Sep 2

Air mail envelope: Jan 19, 2016

Letter date: 16th January 2016

Newspaper: "Blackpool Tower Circus to Reopen Tomorrow: Tickets for the Grand Opening on January 11th 2016 sold out

Map with multiple dates: 11 Jan 2016, 3rd Sep 1943, 13 Dec 1934, 22 Jun 1963, 12 Sep 1910. Spoken: "January 11th, 2016."

The events of Jan 11, 2016

Cell phone: Monday 11 January