Mudbound - Fairly early scene with family listening to radio and FDR's December 7th, Day of Infamy speech.

Later opening a safe with combo 8-30-62, which VO tells us is the date of confederate victory at Richmond. 

LADY BIRD

Begins in 2002 (which she likes because it's a palindrome). So the Thanksgiving scene would be November 28, and I think we also see the morning after Thanksgiving?  There's a poster showing the dates of the play (Dec 6/7/8), and we see the events of opening night.  We see Christmas morning.  There's a dateable TV news report for something in early 2003, and we see the imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday, which in 2003 would be February 13. <BUT THIS WAS POSTED IN ERROR: ASH WEDNESDAY IN 2003 WAS ON MARCH 5. THANKS, PTC>

Edited by Ron Reed

MALCOLM X

I don't think we've covered this, beyond John noting on on Feb 21, 2015, that the film portrays the assassination, which occurred on Feb 21, 1965. There is likely more we could track down than I've grabbed here, but at least this adds to the list. Oh, and at the very beginning of the thread Darrel cited May 19, which was Malcolm's birth date, but I don't believe that's actually shown in the film. (Oh, I'm wrong! There's a dialogue mention: "May 19 we celebrate Malcolm X's birthday..." ) 

The film opens with footage of the Rodney King beating, which occurred March 3, 1991.

June 18, 1941 is Joe Louis' first victory over Billy Conn, winning the World Light Heavyweight title.

April 26, 1957: Johnson Hinton beaten by police, Malcolm X leads a crowd who demand Hinton's transfer to hospital. The transfer to Sydenham Hospital in Harlem occurred on the morning of April 27. 

There's also a newspaper with a date on it which I'd need BluRay to read. The headline is MALCOLM X FILES MILLION DOLLAR SUIT. 

Edited by Ron Reed

Ron Reed wrote:
: . . . and we see the imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday, which in 2003 would be February 13. 

Are you sure about that? I met my wife in 2003 and we went on our second date on February 13 (the "un-Valentine's Day date", as I called it, because it was the day before Valentine's Day). We got married two years later on February 13, which, in 2005, was a Sunday. That would make February 13 a Friday in 2004 (because of the leap year) and a Thursday in 2003, no?

20 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

Ron Reed wrote:
: . . . and we see the imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday, which in 2003 would be February 13. 

Are you sure about that? I met my wife in 2003 and we went on our second date on February 13 (the "un-Valentine's Day date", as I called it, because it was the day before Valentine's Day). We got married two years later on February 13, which, in 2005, was a Sunday. That would make February 13 a Friday in 2004 (because of the leap year) and a Thursday in 2003, no?

I think you're right, Peter.  I did a google search and came up with Feb 13.  But re-searching just now, it came up March 5 (which checks out as a Wednesday), so I have no idea what I did wrong the first time. Thanks for catching that!  

The Shape of Water: at various time we see a page-a-day calendar. Each time (ecxcept one) a page is torn off

Sept 17 -> 18

Sept 18 -> 19

Oct 10 (the exception when Eliza pages ahead to this date to write on it.

Oct. 9 ->10

Oct.10 -> 11. 

Edited by Darrel Manson

All the Money in the World - July 10, 1973. Date is shown at the beginning of the scene in which Paul is kidnapped.

THE DISASTER ARTIST

Shown onscreen as titles:

Jul 13, 1998 (first acting class)

Nov 9, 1998 (moving to L.A.)

May 19, 2001 (completed script for "The Room")

June 27, 2003 (premiere of "The Room")

August 20 is also shown in a newspaper casting notice for the film

Okay, now here's where my note-taking takes a confounding turn. The date is also given for the first day of shooting but, unfortunately, I wasn't certain if it was June 12 or June 22, 2002.  An imprecision which compounds itself, as many scenes that follow are titled according to the shooting day.  Grrr.  So I'll give the alternate possible dates, and someday someone will be able to confirm the actual "Day One" of shooting.

Jun 12 or 22: Day 1

Jun 19 or 29: Day 8

Jul 6 or 16: Day 25

Jul 17 or 27: Day 36

Aug 2 or 12: Day 52

Aug 8 or 18: Day 58

I'm reading the book "The Disaster Artist," but I'm afraid it doesn't provide shooting dates. 

It does provide one date.  On page 83 he describes the day he and Tommy first move to Los Angeles. "...we hit the highway. It was August 31, 1998. I had known Tommy Wiseau less than a month."  The movie decides that the date is November 9.  WHY DO THEY DO THAT?!??!!!  And if Sestero is correct in the book, then the movie is also wrong in dating their "meet cute" at the acting class as July 13, which would of course be more than a month earlier than either Aug 31 or Nov 9.  

So what's with these movie people?  More exhaustive research revealed Sistero to be wrong? Or they just didn't give a rip? After years of paying attention to historical dates shown in movies, I'm betting on the latter.

Edited by Ron Reed

BATTLE OF THE SEXES

Oct 4, 1971 – President Nixon congratulates Billie Jean King by telephone

Then a sequence of events that are hard to pin down:

There's a radio news item about a tennis match (I forget which one) that also mentions the Yankees going on the road with an 0-3 record after being swept by the Red Sox. Those losses were Apr 6/7/8, 1973 - so the broadcast would have been April 8 or 9.

Then there's some Billie Jean King tennis in San Diego - difficult to date, but it didn't happen in April 1973. 

Then Margaret Court defeats Billie Jean King in Los Angeles. If that could be dated, we'd have two dates, because it's preceded by an "If you beat her tomorrow" sequence. But I can't find any evidence of Margaret Court playing BJK in Los Angeles.

Then an easy date, May 13, 1973: Bobby Riggs defeats Margaret Court in the "Mothers Day Massacre"

Then the announcement of the Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs "Battle Of The Sexes" match

Then Sep 19, 1973: Houston, day before match

Sep 20, 1973: King vs Riggs 

THE SQUARE

"May 30/31" mentioned in interview

Exhibition will open September 15 (dialogue, after pickpocket sequence)

COMRADES: A LOVE STORY

The final sequence takes place on the streets of NYC, when the news breaks of the death of Chinese pop star Teresa Teng - May 8, 1995.

OPERATION PETTICOAT

Adm. Matt Sherman: "19 December 1941: Repairs progressing. Crew morale high, except for their concern that our supply officer might be caught and shot. My emotions about this are mixed...."

According to Wikipedia, the story begins December 10, 1941.

Edited by Ron Reed

LOGAN LUCKY

Jun 4 - date originally planned for the heist (21:00)

they have to move it up (earlier) one week (42:00)

"Memorial Day" (1:05:50) the day of the heist

"April 15" (1:38:20) mentioned, but I don't remember what they said happened that day. It's mentioned when the FBI agents are figuring out the timing leading up to the event.

"May 28" (mentioned soon after 1:38:20) - the date of the heist, which was Memorial Day. So the movie takes place in 2012 or 2018.

There's also mention early on of Christmas, and it turns out that's the entry code for the tunnels: 1225

The Commuter - August 23rd and 24th are mentioned in the opening montage. There are newspapers and train tickets, so it may be possible to determine which day the majority of the story takes place on.

HOSTILES

When the Captain is given the orders that set the story in motion, there's the date of July 27.  It may be the date of the letter, or it may be the date on a newspaper.

There's also some scripture read at a graveside, fairly early in the film; amazingly enough, not one of the two or three Bible passages screenwriters seem to know.  I forget which.  But that's for another list...

The 15:17 To Paris

In the early evening of August 21, 2015, the world watched in stunned silence as the media reported a thwarted terrorist attack on Thalys train #9364 bound for Paris...

Tully (2018) - When Marlo is in the hospital after car accident, the husband is asked her DOB: 6/7/77

Anatomy of a Murder - Jimmy Stewart mentions August 16th during the trial as the date the rape occurred.

An Angel at My Table - Janet Frame is reading a newspaper dated October 26th.

Tully - Marlo's (Charlize Theron) birthday is mentioned as June 7th.