Oh, Ron, as you know, I've been on a bit of a Billy-Graham-movie kick lately, and I WISH I could give you the dates for the specific crusades and sermons depicted in an almost documentary-like fashion there. (It shouldn't be TOO hard to track down the date for the sermon interrupted by a rainshower in For Pete's Sake, should it?)

But anyhoo, The Hiding Place (1975) does depict the death of Betsie ten Boom, and it tells us that this happened on December 16, 1944. But I see you already have that date covered. The end credits also tell us that her father, Casper ten Boom, died on March 9, 1944 -- a date you do NOT have covered yet -- but we never actually see this death take place; we are informed of it afterwards. Hmmm, I wonder if we know the date on which the Nazis arrested the ten Boom family? ... Aha! This site says the ten Booms were arrested on February 28, 1944 -- and this date is NOT in your calendar yet! (Hmmm, it seems the arrests occurred in a manner somewhat different than depicted ... but of course ... )

Ron wrote:

: SPINAL TAP doesn't work for my purposes because none of those dates are in the

: movie itself.

Hmmm, one point I'm still hazy on -- I think I alluded to this when I offered the Lawrence of Arabia dates -- is whether the dates THEMSELVES have to be mentioned in a film, or whether it is enough to say, "Here is an historical event that could only have happened once, and we know from OTHER sources that it happened on this day."

The latter. It's best of all if the date is actually shown onscreen, second best if it's mentioned, but still perfectly great if the date isn't mentioned within the fim but can be demonstrated by outside sources.

Just wondering, does The Godfather Part III make the grade at all?  That is, are you willing to consider the papal election and assassination depicted there to be identical to the election and alleged assassination of Pope John Paul I, even though the film gives us the wrong name for the pope and the wrong year for these events?  Or does this film take place in some alternate universe, the dates of which the film neglects to give us?

Definitely the most unusual case of them all. I've copied the information into my notes, but didn't add it to the tabulation yet since it's a fictional pope whose dates aren't mentioned in the film, but who roughly corresponds with a real pope whose dates are known. I guess I'm kind of waiting to see the film myself, to try and discern how much they intend this to be the real pope, "only the names have been changed to protect the Innocent" - or in this case, the John Paul.

Hmm... Having thought it through a bit more now, I think I'll add it to the calendar for now with a "?" beside it, and either the "?" can be removed later, or the date usurped by another film that comes along.

Edited by Ron

The Hiding Place (1975) does depict the death of Betsie ten Boom, and it tells us that this happened on December 16, 1944.  But I see you already have that date covered.

Still worth noting in italics. You never know when another movie will shift around.

The end credits also tell us that her father, Casper ten Boom, died on March 9, 1944 -- a date you do NOT have covered yet -- but we never actually see this death take place; we are informed of it afterwards.

Yes, but the end credits are in some sense part of the film, I'd say. It'll do until a stronger contender comes along.

Hmmm, I wonder if we know the date on which the Nazis arrested the ten Boom family? ... Aha! This site says the ten Booms were arrested on February 28, 1944 --

Sweet.

Looks like you've put us past the halfway mark, Mr C!

(By the way, did you note that there are a couple versions of Pasolini's MATTHEW available for 20% off at DeepDiscountDVD.com? And I believe today may be the last day of that sale.

We've passed halfway!

Updated June 25, 2005: 184 down, 182 to go

(141 separate films + 43 dates covered by films already used)

I'm sure we'll be done by the end of the summer.

(Of 2105...)

Most Robin Hood films end with Prince John as still a mere prince, and his brother King Richard on the throne. (I almost wrote "on the phone". Heh.) The only film I can think of which depicts Robin doing the Hood thing once John assumes the throne is Robin and Marian (1976), but I don't believe it ever gets as far as the Magna Carta.

BTW, Ron, I know you already have October 2 covered, but this site says it was on that day in 1187 that Balian surrendered Jerusalem to Saladin, as depicted in Kingdom of Heaven (2005).

And I know you have July 30 covered, but that was the day in 1967 on which Joni Eareckson became a paraplegic in a diving accident, as depicted in Joni (1979/80).

Was rewatching Night of the Living Dead, and it takes place on the Sunday daylight savings time ends. Don't know if you have room for floating days on the calendar, but there you go.

I watched The Bourne Supremacy the other night on DVD, and towards the end of the film Pamela Landy tells Bourne on the phone that he was born on April 15, 1971 in Nixon, Missouri, and his birth name was David Webb. Oddly, though, Landy is referring to a file which has on it the name Jason Bourne and the date shown on screen is August 21, 1969 (I zoomed in on the date to see it). I'm not sure if the film-makers intended some ambiguity here, or (more likely) the script had the 1969 date, but later they decided to make Bourne younger and changed Landy's lines to include the reference to 1971.

July 18, 1863: The 54th Massachusetts leads the infantry assault on Fort Wagner, on Morris Island in Charleston Harbor (Glory)

There ought to be a wealth of films dealing with the 1929 stock market crash. The crucial dates are Oct. 24 (Black Thursday), 28 & 29 (Black Monday & Tuesday). It's a Wonderful Life? Seabiscuit? Timecop would be interesting to check out in that regard.

Edited by mrmando

Ron:

Some Frankenstein dates from the novel (that may be more apt to coincide with the Branagh version than the Karloff one:

Dec. 11--Date of first letter from Walton to sister that opens the novel

March 28--Letter from Walton to sister while seeking northern passage.

July 31--Walton finds Frankenstein near frozen on ice; Frankenstein begins to tell his horrifice tale.

August 5--Letter from Walton to sister describing July 31 events.

Sep. 11--Frankenstein dies (Walton witnesses daemon head off into the ice.)

Other dates mentioned in novel:

May 7 (Daemon kills Victor's brother, William)

I've not seen any Frankenstein movies (can you believe?). Can anyone confirm which of these events occur in one or another of the films?

QUOTE(Russ @ Jun 27 2005, 08:54 AM)

Was rewatching Night of the Living Dead, and it takes place on the Sunday daylight savings time ends. Don't know if you have room for floating days on the calendar, but there you go.

Baal Tshuvah did some speculating on that one a while back, and came up with the night of April 7/8, as follows...

April 7th & 8th -- Night of the Living Dead (1968 version)

An early line in the film refers to a character losing an hours sleep because Daylight Saving Time started that day. In 1968, that would have occured on Sunday April 7th. The events of that movie spill over into the 8th.

AMENDING THIS LATER (Dec 28, 2012)...

According to the Wikipedia article, Daylight Saving Time in the United States: "Beginning in 1967, the act mandated standard time within the established time zones and provided for advanced time: clocks would be advanced one hour beginning at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday in April."

In 1968 (the film was released in October of that year), Daylight Savings would have begun Sunday, April 28. The events of the movie that spill over into the next day would occur on Monday, April 29.

(And just to be clear, the film occurs when Daylight Savings begins, not when it ends. Barbara: They ought to make the day the time changes the first day of summer. Then two good things would happen all at once."

Edited by Ron Reed

Speaking of the Civil War, Gangs of New York (2002) climaxed with the New York draft riots of 1863: "13-16 July. Draft riots erupt in New York City as a predominantly Irish-American mob protests the drawing of names on July 11 under the Conscription Act. Widespread lynchings of African Americans and lootings are finally brought under control by Federal troops. (Read about the draft riots in the Columbia Encyclopedia, or go to an extended day-by-day chronology at Virtual New York)"

UPDATE: Oh, whoops. We've got that covered, apparently. (The one time I don't check first...)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Have come up with a couple more explicit dates in SHADOWLANDS, as I watch it for a comparison article I'm doing for CT Movies. In the speech near the beginning (a sort of Readers Digest version of the one in the play), Jack cites the specific date for the Royal Marine Cadets bus accident - and what do you know, looking it up on the web, it's a real historical event. Dec 4, 1951.

There's also the scene where Joy and Jack hear the choristers sing and greet the sun at dawn on May 1, though that date was already covered.

Amazing how many movies do have dates, once you start to look for them. Though moreso in "fact based" films than otherwise.

June 29, 1905: Archibald "Moonlight" Graham plays 2 innings in right field for NY Giants, his only major-league appearance (Field of Dreams). Hey, that was 100 years ago today!

The following dates are already taken except for Aug. 22:

April 13, 1919: Amritsar massacre (Gandhi)

January 30, 1948: Gandhi assassinated (Gandhi)

Nov. 20, 1920: Bloody Sunday/Croke Park massacre (Michael Collins)

August 22, 1922: Michael Collins assassinated (Michael Collins)

June 25, 1906: Harry Thaw kills Stanford White (Ragtime)

March 24, 1980: Oscar Romero assassinated (Romero)

Dec. 5, 1791: Death of Mozart (Amadeus)

June 29, 1905: Archibald "Moonlight" Graham plays 2 innings in right field for NY Giants, his only major-league appearance (Field of Dreams). Hey, that was 100 years ago today!

The following dates are already taken except for Aug. 22:

April 13, 1919: Amritsar massacre (Gandhi)

January 30, 1948: Gandhi assassinated (Gandhi)

Nov. 20, 1920: Bloody Sunday/Croke Park massacre (Michael Collins)

August 22, 1922: Michael Collins assassinated (Michael Collins)

June 25, 1906: Harry Thaw kills Stanford White (Ragtime)

March 24, 1980: Oscar Romero assassinated (Romero)

Dec. 5, 1791: Death of Mozart (Amadeus)

Mando Man, you made my day!!! Shoeless Joe is one of my all-time favourite books, FIELD OF DREAMS an all-time favourite film, and now JUNE 29 is one of my all-time favourite dates!!! You da best.

I came up with a fun one today, not unrelated: June 7, 2002 - the Buffalo Sabres win the Stanley Cup! (With some miraculous help from Bruce Almighty)

Also from BRUCE ALMIGHTY, backup for Dogma on May 27, the 156th anniversary of the launching of the Maid Of The Mist - wonderfully obscure.

Thanks too for Aug 22. But mostly - SHOELESS JOE!!! MOONLIGHT GRAHAM!!!!!! I'm psyched.

June 9, 1863 - The 54th regiment arrives at its first post in South Carolina. Glory

Edited by DanBuck

FILMS WITH DATES IN THEM TO FIND (you know what I mean...)

CINDERELLA MAN

Ron:

Your wish is my command.

James J. Braddock v. Max Baer:

June 13, 1935.

thanks!

(The dates for each fight were given on screen at the bottom of the screen in establishing shots.)

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping to get the rest of those from somebody...

Do you want duplicate submissions? I figured some of these are tentative and you may like examples better, others have multiple dates that you could move around, etc.

Bring on all dates, duplicates or not. Like you say, that gives latitude to shift things around, make choices later, all that.

You see it, I list it!

Ron

Ron, I just skimmed through a couple scenes in Secrets & Lies (1996) to see what dates are mentioned in that film, and the only one I know for sure is July 23, which you don't have listed yet: that is Hortense's birthday, and it occurs on a Sunday during the year in which the film takes place (so the film apparently takes place in 1995, which makes sense, since we see the characters leaving a theatre that has a poster for Judge Dredd, which came out in the UK on July 21, 1995). I can't recall if we actually see anything happen on this day, in the film, but the characters do talk about it a few days later.

Beyond that, Hortense's half-sister Roxanne has a birthday in August, and I believe it is on a Monday, because the birthday party is on a Sunday (which is when everyone has free time) and Maurice asks her what she and her boyfriend are planning on doing the next day (which is when the real birthday is, IIRC). So the birthday party must take place on August 6, 13, 20, or 27; and the birthday itself must be on August 7, 14, 21, or 28. And based on the dialogue (Cynthia gives Hortense a belated birthday present "for Sunday", presumably meaning the past Sunday, but then she talks about an upcoming party that is on "Sunday", perhaps meaning the next Sunday, but it can't be July 30), I assume earlier is more likely than later, but I couldn't say for sure, at the moment.

Good work, gang. We've added a dozen more films since the historic halfway milestone, now coming up on #200.

Happy birthday, americanos.

Edited by Ron

In Extreme Measures, the Hugh Grant/Gene Hackman medical thriller, Hugh mentions the dates Sept. 11 and Oct. 9.

I know we already have this date covered, but still...

In the original Japanese version of Dark Water, I believe it is said at least twice that the girl who became the ghost haunting the apartment went missing on July 14, 1999.

Rented The Chorus (Les Choristes) last night. Since it employs the narrative device of reading through a journal, several dates are mentioned:

Jan. 23

Jan. 30

Feb. 8

Feb. 15

March 3

May 13

"the 20th" (presumably May)

Edited by mrmando

thanks, man! I don't have the actual dates handy, but my last couple movies have turned up dates: one duplicate, one new. In CRIMES & MISDEMEANORS, Woody Allen remarks that it's been a year since he and his wife had sex, which he remembers precisely because it was Hitler's birthday. (Funny guy.) On Sunday, my family watched my eldest daughter's favourite movie together (she leaves for Australia for SIX MONTHS today, ouch), and in ANDRE there's a newspaper cover with a June date, something to do with the seal.

A couple dates I need to go back and find in Tom Tykwer's HEAVEN, which I saw tonight. The date of her birth (at 22 min?), and the date of her first communion (around 73 min?).

* ADDED LATER *

Whew, my timer was way out! Darn VHS...

1:06+

I don't even know your name.

Filippo.

When were you born?

May 23, 1978.

At what time? Do you know?

In the morning at 8 o'clock.

I know exactly what I was doing on May 23, 1978. That's my birthday. That was the day of my first Holy Communion.

Edited by Ron