Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anna J

Board Upgrading (what's working? what's not?)

149 posts in this topic

I'm not really versed in Reddit or Digg. From your description, I assume it works like many comment threads on articles (or YouTube) where "popular" posts get bumped up. I agree that wouldn't be a good fit here. But I do like the "like" system, where I can agree with something in a non-obtrusive manner that doesn't clutter the thread with a meaningless "I agree" post.

Actually, I believe the specific functionality isn't so much a voting system for posts, but one for members. Basically, people can add or remove to someone's "reputation" based on the quality of their posts. The idea is that people who post high quality content get voted higher, and are displayed by the forums as more "reliable" posters. Which, again, is something that I think goes against A&F's spirit/philosophy.

Agreed.

And FWIW although I'm not opposed to a theoretical "like" system for posts, I actually prefer forcing people to write out "I agree", especially if the person feels prompted to flesh out "I agree" into something that keeps the conversation rolling.

And FWIW although I'm not opposed to a theoretical "like" system for posts, I actually prefer forcing people to write out "I agree", especially if the person feels prompted to flesh out "I agree" into something that keeps the conversation rolling.

I lean towards this, as well… which is a fancy way of saying "I agree." :)

I lean towards this, as well… which is a fancy way of saying "I agree." smile.png

Well played, you two. Well played.

Darryl A. Armstrong wrote:

: Well played, you two. Well played.

Like. ;)

: Also, what is the "Hot" button next to some threads.

I think we've always had this; it just looked different on the previous version(s) of this board.

opus wrote:

: Believe it or not, this sort of stuff is fun for me, almost up there with watching movies, listening to music, and reading books.

Kind of like me with numbers, eh? I love accounting challenges, especially since I became my church's treasurer a couple years ago and got introduced to QuickBooks. :)

Noticed a weird error. If I'm typing in the cool new thread reply box and pause for a moment, sometimes when I resume my cursor suddenly shifts to the left, deleting what I've written. Anyone else encounter something like this?

Using Firefox on a Mac, I've repeatedly found that attempting to use the link widget causes the tab to grey out and hang forever. With other browsers the link interface comes up, but not in Firefox.

Edit: Okay, so like it says above, clearing cache & logging out resolves this problem.

Edited by SDG

Jason Panella wrote:

: Noticed a weird error. If I'm typing in the cool new thread reply box and pause for a moment, sometimes when I resume my cursor suddenly shifts to the left, deleting what I've written. Anyone else encounter something like this?

Nothing exactly like that, no, but I've noticed that carriage returns sometimes take a while to "take". If I hit the enter key and then continue typing, sometimes the first few letters of what I'm typing end up on the line that I supposedly had left behind, while the rest appears in the new paragraph that I just started.

A bigger issue, for me, is the way that Ctrl-Z now operates; as far as I can tell, it is absolutely unpredictable whether hitting that key will delete merely the last character you wrote or the last two dozen letters you wrote or any number in-between. And the number of characters it deletes does not appear to be limited by things like, e.g., whether you had moved the cursor between the letters; i.e., if I wrote five characters in one paragraph and then clicked further down to write another five letters, and then I Ctrl-Z, I'm liable to lose characters in BOTH spots, whereas most text editors that I'm familiar with would only go back as far as the point where I moved my cursor.

I will say, though, that I'm intrigued by the way the text editor now allows for BOTH the copying-and-pasting of formatted text, without requiring us to do any coding, AND the actual coding of our text. I have never, ever used the widgets in the reply box -- except maybe when pictures or videos were first introduced, eons ago, and I wanted to see what sort of quasi-HTML tags I would have to use for them -- so I'm glad that I can still enter everything by hand the way I'm used to doing, but I'm ALSO glad that I don't have to replicate or re-enter by hand any of the tags that were already embedded in the text that I am copying.

And, as ever, the "View New Content" options remain very cool.

Although, as ever, the fact that the new format now forces me to widen my browser window or do a lot of scrolling back and forth remains a frustrating inconvenience. Hmmm. I think I bought my current (and somewhat widescreen!) laptop three years ago. Does everyone else have really high resolution screens nowadays, so that the redesigns at A&F, Google, and so forth aren't an issue for them? Or has everyone but me abandoned the practice of opening multiple windows at once?

Hmm... when I reply to a topic now, after I have posted, I'm unable to do anything to my reply-- edit, delete, anything at all. I've tried logging out and signing back in-- no difference. I'm using the latest version of Firefox, if that helps.

Christopher, have you also cleared your browser cache? I had the same problem, and so have others, and clearing browser cache along with logging out and back in seems to have cleared it up for everyone else.

An update on the Really Huge video problem: It also affects the otherwise beautiful mobile version of the board. Normally, A&F threads adjust to the width of your phone's screen, whether you're holding it vertically or horizontally, but the embedded YouTube clips force the board to go wider than the screen, which forces you to do a lot of scrolling back-and-forth as you read the post (sound familiar?); and, of course, you can't watch the entire videoframe no matter HOW you scroll.

The reply box works like a charm, though. (This is the first time I've used the mobile version since the upgrade.) This has been way, way, way easier than my attempts to reply to threads via my cell phone in the past.

Oh, one other thing about the mobile version: when a thread is broken up over multiple pages, I see buttons for the "prev" and "next" pages, but I don't see any indication as to how many pages there are ahead of me (or behind me, for that matter). I know this information is there at the top of the full website version of each thread, but I can't seem to find it on the mobile version.

Gad, I love this reply box. I never could have written a post like this on my phone in the old days. (Of course, having a Samsung Galaxy S2, as opposed to the HTC Hero that I had until a few months ago, probably helps a little bit, too...)

Moderators: Have you figured out how to change topic titles? I can't seem to find it.

Moderators: Have you figured out how to change topic titles? I can't seem to find it.

At the top of this page, and all other forum pages (I think), you'll see a "Reply to this Topic" button to the right. Just to the left of that button is text that says "Topic Moderation" in light grey -- that's what the color looks like on my monitor.

Click on "Topic Moderation." The top option is "Edit Title." I haven't used it yet, but I'm guessing that'll do the trick.

Edited by Christian

At the top of this page, and all other forum pages (I think), you'll see a "Reply to this Topic" button to the right. Just to the left of that button is text that says "Topic Moderation" in light grey -- that's what the color looks like on my monitor.

Click on "Topic Moderation." The top option is "Edit Title." I haven't used it yet, but I'm guessing that'll do the trick.

Yes, it does the trick. I've edited a couple of titles without any problem.

I can't count the number of times I have wanted to jump back into this thread over the past few weeks to reiterate how much I really enjoy the mobile version of the site redesign. It's missing a few things, like the ability to edit posts or a way to read text that has been highlighted in black, but those are minor quibbles.

The reason I'm jumping back into the thread NOW, though, is to sort of follow up on this exchange here:

: : Is there any reason it was added in the first place?

:

: Not sure. My guess would be to give forum posters more "ownership" over their posts and give the forums a bit more personality. Which isn't really a problem in our case. smile.png

Well, ownership over our POSTS is what the avatars to the side of each post are for. Putting one person's avatar at the top of an entire THREAD is something else entirely -- and I'm not sure we necessarily want to give people any sense of "ownership" over entire threads. (I say this as one who has started more than his fair share of threads over the years.)

Just now, I was posting something in the Winnie the Pooh thread, and, after I had finished, I noticed that, at the top, where it says "Reply to this topic", there was another button that said "Topic Moderation". Curious to see what would happen, I clicked on that button, and up came a sort of mini-menu with a single option: "Delete".

"Does this mean that I can delete the thread?" I wondered. "Does this mean ANYONE can delete a thread?"

I thought about this a second, and then noticed that my avatar was next to the thread title, and it dawned on me that maybe I had the option of "moderating" the thread -- even if only to delete it -- because I had started the thread. So I went back to the main menu and opted to look at ANOTHER thread that someone ELSE had started -- and, sure enough, the only option I had there was to "Reply to this topic".

So it would seem that I can moderate/delete threads that I have started -- even really long threads with hundreds of posts and lots of active participants, like the Winnie the Pooh thread -- but not threads that were started by someone else. And I assume this is true for at least some of the other board members as well?

I emphasize that this is only what it SEEMS like to me, because I have not actually tried to delete anything. But, if that IS how the "Topic Moderation" button works, I am wondering if we really want to give non-staff the option of deleting threads that other people have participated in -- that other people have made their own, in a sense.

It would, at any rate, put a new spin on what "ownership" of a thread might mean.

Yeah, I totally agree with you on this. There are still so many threads where conversations are difficult to follow because Alan deleted all of his input over the years. I would hate to see entire threads disappear over another similar falling out. Just imagine having to start The Hobbit threads all over again if I got peaved! smile.png

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

I'm tempted to start a duplicate thread, get ahemmed and then delete it.

Yeah, that does seem like a problem. I'll talk it over with Anna -- this seems like an editorial type decision that Image would need make, rather than a design decision.

...Some of us are still trying to figure out how to "Mark All Posts Read." I know we no longer have that function, but can't bear to think of how long it'll take to address each "unread" post/thread that's built up since the change.

...Some of us are still trying to figure out how to "Mark All Posts Read." I know we no longer have that function, but can't bear to think of how long it'll take to address each "unread" post/thread that's built up since the change.

As much as I like the new forum design, the lack of this functionality bothers me. Or rather, the lack of it in the "desktop" version of the forum, bothers me. There is a "Mark All Posts Read" function in the forum's "mobile" version.

"Mark Community Read" is at the bottom of every forum page, on a grey bar with an RSS logo. Is that what you're looking for?

Will someone who is not an administrator create a fake thread and then try to delete it? I want to see what happens.

"Mark Community Read" is at the bottom of every forum page, on a grey bar with an RSS logo. Is that what you're looking for?

Never noticed it until you posted. Thanks! Not quite as nice as marking "all posts" as read (in one fell swoop), but I'll take it.

Thanks, Anna. Now that I know where there's a link, maybe I can add a more prominent "Mark All Read" link to the forum.

Can't you just mark each forum as read at the top of each forum? I know that's not mark all posts, but there aren't that many forums...

Can't you just mark each forum as read at the top of each forum? I know that's not mark all posts, but there aren't that many forums...

Yes, you can. But the "Mark All Read" lets you do them all in one fell swoop. Fewer clicks = Always better.

Baal and Darrel: posts like yours make me wish we had a Facebook "like" button here. :)

Anna: if you do the test, I think whoever starts the thread should hold off on deleting it until after at least one other person has added to it. The "rules" might be different for people deleting others' posts than it is for deleting their own.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0