Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

Board Upgrading (what's working? what's not?)

Oh, duh. Of course. If I need to use features that are not available in the mobile version of a page, I can click on the "Full Version" button at the bottom of the page and go from there. Awesomer and awesomer.

Thanks again, Jason, for your work on all this.

opus   

I have recently made a few minor updates to the forum layout.

1. I removed the avatar/photo of the thread starter from next to the thread title.
  2. Fixed a few potentially confusing layout & wording issues.
  3. Modified the width issues.
  4. Added a "Mark all as read" link next to the "View New Content" link so that marking all forum threads as "read" is easier and clearer.

Let me know if you have any questions/issues/concerns.

Added a "Mark all as read" link next to the "View New Content" link so that marking all forum threads as "read" is easier and clearer.

Thanks! I just learned about this when I accidentally clicked on it. :) I'm glad this option has been added.

Christian wrote::

: opus wrote:

: : Added a "Mark all as read" link next to the "View New Content" link so that marking all forum threads as "read" is easier and clearer.

:

: Thanks! I just learned about this when I accidentally clicked on it. smile.png

Indeed! After a month and a half of getting used to clicking "View New Content" at the edge of the screen, I now have to remind myself to move the pointer a little to the left, otherwise I'll accidentally mark all as read. I would have put the new button on the other side of "View New Content", but now that it's there -- and now that people might have gotten used to it being where it is -- it might make sense to just leave it there.

In any case, the mobile version still rocks.

opus   

FWIW, I went back and forth re. the order of the "View New Content" and "Mark all as Read" links. And I totally understand why it's current placement might feel a bit odd. I even click on the wrong link from time to time. (That's muscle memory for you.)

But here was my reasoning for the current placement: I wanted the order of the links to reflect what I thought would be a typical browsing/reading process. When you come to A&F, you want to find new content first, browse through the threads you're interested in, and then, once you're done with everything, mark everything as read, thus resetting the forum to a clean slate for you.

It struck me as odd to place "Mark all as Read" first in the layout, before you've even had a chance, so to speak, of getting to the actual new content. While that might alleviate some accidental clicks for the time being, I think it would look odd in the long run.

In other words, marking everything as read is secondary to finding new content in the first place.

SDG   

FWIW, I am slowly retraining myself not to click the button all the way to the right, which is what my hand wants to do. I've made progress, but it will probably take a week or so before I'm entirely over it.

I am slowly retraining myself not to click the button all the way to the right ...

My hand keeps doing the same thing of it's own accord. It's turning into a deep internal battle. Now I understand what afflicted Dr. Strangelove.

SDG   
I am slowly retraining myself not to click the button all the way to the right ...

My hand keeps doing the same thing of it's own accord. It's turning into a deep internal battle. Now I understand what afflicted Dr. Strangelove.

The trick is, after you do it wrong, make yourself do it right two or three times. Deliberately start to go to the wrong button, then switch to the right one. Actually press the wrong button -- but hold it and drag off before you release so it doesn't trigger. That will help retrain your reflexes.

Opus, I appreciate your reasoning. However, it works from the premise that we'd be starting from the left and moving to the right. If these buttons were on the left side of the screen, the premise would probably be correct. But when they're both on the right...? Not sure. (But I might just be trying to rationalize my muscle memory!)

(Edited to add: To put this another way, when menu items appear at the right and left edges of the screen, I wonder if some of us might approach them the way we approach our cutlery: starting from the outside and working towards the middle.)

BTW, I noticed yesterday that it *is* possible to quote, edit and delete posts within the mobile layout; you just have to click on the post first, to make the quote/edit/delete buttons visible. (Which means if you want to click through to a link *within* the post, you have to click twice -- which is how I discovered the quote/edit/delete buttons. But anyhoo.) Is this a new feature, or was it always there? Either way, I like it.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Oh, one other thing I've noticed:

The text editor tends to do a LOT of thinking for us... which means it sometimes thinks we want to do things that we don't want to do, and it sometimes formats things in ways we don't want them to be formatted.

Case in point: I just posted something to the Prometheus thread in which I wanted to use bullet points, but not with every paragraph; I wanted to have a bullet next to a line, and then each line would be followed by two or three paragraphs explaining the line. But the bullets would ONLY appear by the line.

However, when I "previewed" it, the site for some reason ERASED the blank line that I had placed between the final paragraph of one item and the line that started the next item. And then, when I tried to ADD a blank line there, I got a blank line with a bullet, instead of a merely blank line -- which was arguably worse than having no blank line at all.

It used to be really easy to format these things when we were able to put the tags in ourselves, but NOW, the editor doesn't allow you to go back into the plain-text-with-tags; once the "preview" screen formats everything for you, it STAYS formatted, and it forces certain kinds of formatting on you that you don't want.

Is there a way to fix this, to make it more user-friendly again?

For what it's worth, I'm not fond of moving posts out of their existing threads unless there is some sort of controversy that needs to be quelled (and even then, I'd advise caution, given that context is everything, and sometimes the posts that started the controversies have been allowed to remain in their original position, unanswered, while the posts that responded to the controversies have been orphaned somewhere else).

In this particular case, I know at least one of my contributions to the Alien/Aliens discussion in the Prometheus thread did tie things back to Prometheus, and some of the other posts touched on other films besides Alien and Aliens (such as Alien3), so the discussion wasn't necessarily about Alien vs Aliens, per se.

(And in any case, the Alien vs. Aliens thread has not been "resurrected" in the sense of new posts; the most recent post in that thread dates back all the way to 2004. I assume it has only been "resurrected" in the sense that someone recently added his or her vote to the poll at the top of that thread. Which raises an interesting question, from a board-design point of view: Do we want threads to be bumped to the top of the "New Content" list when there are no actual new posts in those threads?)

I went through this thread to see if this topic got covered, but didn't come across it. Either I'm an idiot and can no longer find "Manage Notes" under "My Profile", or it is a feature that has been done away with. I only noticed this last night when I thought about writing some thoughts about Inland Empire while they were still fresh in my mind. I had a hard time staying awake, and decided to copy and paste what I had written into my notes file, then realized I could not locate the "Manage Notes" feature. Is it still around?

opus   

The "Manage Notes" functionality was, for whatever reason, removed from the new version of the forum software. I'll look and see if there's any way to get them back, perhaps via some third-party add-on.

Question: I just wrote new posts in two threads, both of which included links to outside pages -- and in both cases, after I manually entered the link (typing "url" and pasting the link into the regular editor, etc., and then adding a "/url" tag at the end of the link), the resulting post was kinda garbled. In both cases, I finally gave up and entered the link by selecting the relevant text and pressing on the "link" icon and entering the URL in the box that popped up, but I'd really rather just type the code myself, if I can.

Any idea why the board might have started hiccuping like this?

opus   

I can't think of any reason why this might've happened. I haven't made any updates to the editor since the upgrade. Curious: why do you prefer to enter the code yourself?

opus wrote:

: Curious: why do you prefer to enter the code yourself?

It's more hands-on, more direct, it's quicker (I type pretty fast), and I'm generally suspicious of machines that try to do all my thinking for me.

(Brief reply, as I'm writing this on my mobile. But boy, do I still love the mobile interface. 'Tis awesome.)

FWIW, I just had the same problem again, in the Raging Bull II thread, and I'm going to leave it as it is for now, so that you can see how the link got garbled.

http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?showtopic=27804&#entry272742

Yeah, I definitely find it quicker to type "[url=" and then paste the link, as opposed to typing the words first, then using the touchpad to go back and highlight those words, and then looking for a button to press above the edit box, and then waiting for a pop-up box into which I can paste the link, etc., etc.

So it's a bit surprising, and kind of disheartening, to see that simply typing-and-pasting suddenly doesn't work any more.

SDG   
touchpad

There's the key word. With a mouse, the two methods are about equally efficient, but if you're on a laptop with a touchpad, you're definitely going to want to go the keyboard route rather than the URL widget route.

opus   

touchpad

There's the key word. With a mouse, the two methods are about equally efficient, but if you're on a laptop with a touchpad, you're definitely going to want to go the keyboard route rather than the URL widget route.

Protip: You should be able to highlight the text to be linked and then use the "Control + L" or "Command + L" keyboard shortcuts to launch the link dialog box. You might still need to use the trackpad to close the dialog, etc., but it might be a bit more convenient for you.

Okay, something is *definitely* screwy with the system here now.

I just tried adding a video to the Rise of the Guardians thread, and I used the "media" tags properly as per usual, and instead of embedding the video, the A&F website did this.

Strangely, when I clicked on the "Edit" button and went back in there and deleted the extraneous stuff that the A&F website had added, the video posted just fine this time.

So, just to see what would happen if I entered the same code again, I did so... and this time the same error popped up.

I confess: I don't get it. I don't get why the same code gets garbled if you enter it directly the first time, but it works just fine if you get to it by going into the editor and weeding out the bad stuff.

I don't recall this particular problem ever happening before, but now that it is, I wonder if this might shed some light on what's been going on with the "url" tags.

The problem with the "url" tags presents itself again, here: http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?showtopic=26658&#entry272786

I wonder if the reason these problems are cropping up now, for me at any rate, might have something to do with the fact that I kind of switched browsers about a week or two ago, from Firefox to Chrome. I did this because Firefox suddenly became incapable of playing Flash videos (or using Flash pop-ups), and I was told that Chrome would be better for that sort of thing. But I wonder if maybe something about A&F's new interface is Chrome-unfriendly, in this regard?

I use Firefox, and I also enter most url links by hand. I've been updating links in my film journal the last few days, and I haven't had this problem. Perhaps you're right and the problem is with Chrome.

opus   

FWIW, I use Chrome almost all the time, and I haven't had any of the problems you've mentioned.

When embedding videos, what happens if you just copy and paste the URL, without using the media tags?

Sign in to follow this