Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

Board Upgrading (what's working? what's not?)

FWIW, I just tried posting a link to the Anthony-Hopkins-plays-Methuselah news in our thread on Noah, and the error turned up in *both* Chrome *and* Firefox. So it's not the browser that's at issue here.

This is just a test

Hmm... Here's what I posted above:

[url=http://www.patheos.com/blogs/filmchat/2012/07/anthony-hopkins-to-play-methuselah-in-aronofskys-noah/]This is just a test[/url]
Does this work for you? If not, what happens if you put quotes around the URL, like so?
[url="http://www.patheos.com/blogs/filmchat/2012/07/anthony-hopkins-to-play-methuselah-in-aronofskys-noah/"]This is just a test[/url]

Aha. I think I just figured out what's going on.

Sometimes, when you copy a link from another website and paste it into the text editor at A&F, the text editor hyperlinks the URL automatically... even though you've already written square brackets and "url" tags around it. So when you click on "post", the A&F text editor then tries to convert the already-hyperlinked URL into some other sort of hyperlink, and you end up getting something analogous to what John Malkovich got when he crawled inside his own head.

But if the URL you've placed within the tags is *not* hyperlinked already, then the tags work just fine.

So, apparently I will now have to de-link (or "break the link") on some of the URLs that I copy-and-paste into the text editor.

Quick question. Why is it that when I visit this site on another computer I can see on the main page a "ticker" on the right side of the screen showing the latest posts, and another for new topics, but not on my home computer? Both computers are set to IPBoard. Just curious if I can add these features to my home computer viewing,

If I understand what you're referring to, you can activate the ticker by moving your mouse towards the upper-right corner of the homepage, below and to the right of "Mark all as read". You should see a little double-arrow fade in. Clicking on that will add the ticker. You can also click on that again to hide the ticker.

If that doesn't work, you can try logging out and logging back in on your home computer.

Okay.... problem.... On the home computer I clicked on one of the "Change Theme" buttons, just to see what the different views might look like (hoping the "Recent Topic" window would show up like it does on my computer at work). As soon as I did that I got shifted to a page that gives me the following message.....

Fatal error: Class 'IPSSearchIndex' not found in /home/promonto/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_7/skin_global.php on line 220

I can no longer access A&F from home. I tried a systems reset to no avail. Can't access it from any other means, such as a topic search in google. Always goes back to....

Fatal error: Class 'IPSSearchIndex' not found in /home/promonto/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_7/skin_global.php on line 220

Any suggestions?

Have you tried clearing out all of the artsandfaith.com-related cookies from your home browser?

Have you tried clearing out all of the artsandfaith.com-related cookies from your home browser?

Made it back in. Did that (cookies). Also had to change one other feature in security. Teaches me to press buttons randomly.

tumblr_m5sd8np5Mh1r5n5i8o1_500.jpg

Hi friends,

I've finally made the upgrade that the board has wanted for several months. It should fix the following things:

1) The "Driver Error" crash that we've seen twice now

2) The URL4Short spambots

3) The slowness that was happening in late May/early June.

Let me know if anything is weird or not working right!

Thank you opus for helping us!!!

Well, to start off, as I type this, I can't access any of the editor tools, either in the quick edit area or the full editor area. Everything's greyed out.

And here's another: In this new post (I'm manually typing URL tags because I can't access the link tool), a quoted comment enclosed in quote tags isn't formatted in the quote area. There's just an empty quote bar, followed by the comment in normal formatting.

I'll try it again here:

This text should be formatted as a quote.

Yep, doesn't work here either.

I am using Firefox on Windows.

Is it working ok for everyone now? Any more errors?

We probably won't be able to get to the skins until after Glen West (second or third week of August), so...have fun with the blue board for awhile ;)

One thing I notice is that the picture appearing next to SDG's posts finally matches the one on his profile page. He's always been the only one for whom the pictures are different as far as I know, and I've never known why.

When I tried to post the above, I got an error message that said "Your post is empty" even though it wasn't. Then I refreshed the page and was able to post, but with all the buttons greyed out, as they are now.

Edited by Rushmore

I believe the previous version of this board had removed the profile pics that appeared next to the titles at the top of each thread -- or will that removal be restored when the skins are back in place?

I believe the previous version of this board had removed the profile pics that appeared next to the titles at the top of each thread -- or will that removal be restored when the skins are back in place?

I noticed the "mark all as read" button is gone for me.

Both of these should be addressed when the theme files get restored. Which I hope to start working on this weekend.

Note: If you're having problems with posting, be sure to try logging out and logging back in and/or clearing your browser's cache. I had to do that a couple of times in Chrome.

One more thing: If you're trying to post and the editor toolbars are greyed out, try clicking on the little lightswitch button in the upper-left corner of the editor toolbars. That will activate the WYSIWYG editor. You should only need to do this once. After that, the site should remember your preference.

One thing I did notice is the link to our top 100 list is no longer on the home page.

When I tried to post the above, I got an error message that said "Your post is empty" even though it wasn't. Then I refreshed the page and was able to post, but with all the buttons greyed out, as they are now.

Try clicking the toggle switch, that should bring them back.

The links to the "Top 100" list, etc., will be added back soon.

One more thing: If you're trying to post and the editor toolbars are greyed out, try clicking on the little lightswitch button in the upper-left corner of the editor toolbars. That will activate the WYSIWYG editor. You should only need to do this once. After that, the site should remember your preference.

That works. Thanks.

testing

Worked!!!!  Yay!!!

I noticed the "mark all as read" button is gone for me.

Both of these should be addressed when the theme files get restored. Which I hope to start working on this weekend.

Note: If you're having problems with posting, be sure to try logging out and logging back in and/or clearing your browser's cache. I had to do that a couple of times in Chrome.

Re:  Mark as Read -  There is a "Mark Community as Read" button at the very bottom of each page, which I was using yesterday.  IMHO, I like that placement better than when it had been placed next to the "View New Content" button.  I can't tell you how many times I clicked Mark as Read when I meant to click View New Content.

Edited by John Drew

One other thing I've noticed since we went to blue...

You know how the board will automatically merge two of your posts into a single post if you write them only a few seconds or minutes apart? In the past, the board automatically put a *space* between the two posts being merged -- but now, the board butts the contents of the two posts up against each other.

Is this another one of the issues that will be resolved once the old "skins" come back? Or is this something else?

newest test to see if anything is different after a minor (I hope) computer crash.

Yep, I can now work it from Foxfire.

Edited by Darrel Manson

My avatar got the axe...

Mine too. It looks like dropped Gravatar support and went back to using "normal" avatars.

Sign in to follow this