Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Coco

11 posts in this topic

Links to our threads on 'Pixar: The studio, its history and process' (Jun 2009 ff.) as well as the upcoming films Brave (2012), Monsters University (2013), The Good Dinosaur (2014) and Pete Docter's inside-the-human-mind movie (2015).

John Lasseter announced at CinemaCon today that Lee Unkrich (director of Toy Story 3) will be making a movie about the Mexican holiday Dia de los Muertos. Some reports indicate that "Dia de los Muertos" will be the actual title of the film, and some reports indicate that the film might also be set for a 2015 release, but we'll see; these things are always subject to change, in any case.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

And the dialogue will be in Spanish, and it will star Will Ferrell.

Digging into Disney’s “Day of the Dead” Problem

Last week after word got out that Disney was seeking to trademark “Día de los Muertos” in preparation for its 2015 release of a Pixar animated feature inspired by the traditional Mexican holiday, several online communities were outraged. The backlash kicked into high gear when cartoonist and illustrator Lalo Alcaraz shared a poster of a Godzilla-like Mickey Mouse under the words, “It’s coming to trademark your cultura.” [image above]

Social media has always kept Disney in check, and this time is no different. Latino Rebels, an online community that has done a terrific job of tracking Disney’s depiction of Latino culture, helped handle and report on the groundswell of public outcry over the last few weeks. After several petitions and pressure, Disney announced last Tuesday that they would withdraw the trademark filing, claiming that it was no longer necessary since they had changed the title of the fim. . . .

Cartoon Brew, May 18

Yeah...um...No company should get to trademark HOLIDAYS just because they are using one as a title.

I cannot wait, though, until my trademark on Wedding(s) and Marriage to through.

I just worry about the kind of title they've replaced it with. If they turned The Bear & the Bow into Brave, and Rapunzel Unbraided into Tangled, and The Snow Queen into Frozen, then I imagine Día de los Muertos could very well end up being called something like Dead or Spooky.

I just worry about the kind of title they've replaced it with. If they turned The Bear & the Bow into Brave, and Rapunzel Unbraided into Tangled, and The Snow Queen into Frozen, then I imagine Día de los Muertos could very well end up being called something like Dead or Spooky.

Maybe they'll hold onto the idea of a Spanish title. Spooky in Spanish is Espeluznante.... then again, maybe they won't.

New title: Coco. The Hollywood Reporter calls this a "new film", but as you can see above, Lasseter first announced this film three years ago.