Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Room, Emma Donoghue

Anybody read this? My wife and I are reading this after supper. About 15% through and it is heartbreaking. Story told by 5 year old who only knows the world in Room - the play he and Ma live. Old Nick comes at night, but is not a good person. Basically, ON is holding Ma as a sexual prisoner. Jack is the result. Very interesting perspective so far in the story. A bit of Plato and the Cave and trying to understand what is real.

Tyler   

I've listened to the audiobook, which is done really well; each character is voiced by a different actor, and the one who does Jack (I think it's a woman) really makes it feel like you're listening to a 5-year-old kid. The first act is fascinating--kind of like Dogtooth in the way its world is defined--and while I didn't like the rest of the book as much, it does take the story in some interesting directions.

Was sure I'd posted about this here, but I can't find anything. Like Tyler, I listened to the audiobook, which is outstanding but may, around the halfway point, cause you to drive off the road.

Tyler   

Was sure I'd posted about this here, but I can't find anything.

I remember talking about it, too. But I couldn't find anything, either.

I had been thinking of Room as I've been listening to the early part Sara Zarr's How to Save a Life audiobook, which also includes a couple of narrators, one of whom sounds very young (too young even for her young-ish character, IMO, although she reads well).

Our dedicated thread on How to Save a Life is here:

http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?showtopic=26479&hl=zarr