Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Floriade Netherlands and Scotland

We're in the planning stages of a trip to the Netherlands in late summer/early fall to see the once every 10 years garden show, Floriade. My wife has always wanted to go and it seems better to do it now rather than in our 70s. We're also thinking of a very brief trip to Scotland, possible a 3 day tour of the Highlands and Isle of Skye. Any recommendations about any of this would be appreciated. We've been to NL before, so we don't feel the need to spend much time in Amsterdam. It will be our first time anywhere in the UK and I'm sure we won't have near enough time to do Scotland as it should be done. One of the key questions is that the tours leave out of either Glasgow or Edinburgh. Since we'll likely only have time for one city, which should we aim for?

Edinburgh. No contest. Even if you only have time to get to the castle and then make your way down the Royal Mile to the Holyrood, it will really blow your mind. If you have additional time, you can detour mere blocks off the Mile to the fantastic National Museum of Scotland or down two the two art galleries off Princes Street. Since you will have been up on Skye, there is no need to get to the coast down there, but if you are walkers... getting to the top of Arthur's Seat should be on everyone's bucket list.

Since it sounds like you are on a Highlands tour, you may be locked in. I can imagine a tour would take you to all the right places, and the Highlands are really lovely late summer.

But yes, Edinburgh is the right choice.

Agree with M. Leary: Edinburgh. Visited there last summer for the first time. We only had two days and were able to fit in an amazing lot. Unfortunately, Holyrood was closed to the public for some royal event or other, so I'll have to return. St. Giles Cathedral is also quite impressive.