Thom

An online film journal site

26 posts in this topic

Has anybody here heard of, or participated, in the online film journal site called, http://letterboxd.com?

I have been checking it out since the non-public beta release through a friends' invitation and it is fairly interesting. There are a lot of nice features, all of which really revolve around the ease of putting in the films/movies one has viewed. I also like the potential for community building and interaction.

I would be very interested to hear others thoughts (especially if you have been keeping a journal there). I think I have one invitation left if interested.

I remember mentioning it way back here, but I think it does deserves its own thread. I use it a fair bit, but tend to forget to log movies from time to time (like, for almost all of June). I know Jeremy and Ryan used it at various points too.

Edited by Jason Panella

Thanks for posting that link again. I tried visiting the link when you first posted it over on the Film Journals thread, but at the time it would only link me to a "log on" page, and not your journal. Got to say that it looks great. Is it an open community site? Can you link to other sites from your account? If you look at my film journal, you'll see that I make an attempt to link film titles to their IMDb pages, and link year and director to the appropriate Arts&Faith thread (if one is available). If linking isn't frowned upon, it might be a way of getting more folks to check out the A&F forums.

Thanks for posting that link again. I tried visiting the link when you first posted it over on the Film Journals thread, but at the time it would only link me to a "log on" page, and not your journal. Got to say that it looks great. Is it an open community site? Can you link to other sites from your account? If you look at my film journal, you'll see that I make an attempt to link film titles to their IMDb pages, and link year and director to the appropriate Arts&Faith thread (if one is available). If linking isn't frowned upon, it might be a way of getting more folks to check out the A&F forums.

That's a good question. I've seen people link things there, but I'm not sure if it's discouraged or not. Whoever is running their Twitter account does a really nice job of answering questions, so that could be one route.

Feel free to look me up / add me as a friend: jasonpanella

I signed up for Letterboxd a few months ago, played with it for two days, and haven't been back since. I'd probably be more inclined to use it if I didn't already keep a film diary on my website and/or use Twitter to discuss/share thoughts on recent viewings with friends. But since I don't see it replacing either of those, it's just one more social network to keep up with, and I definitely don't need another one of those.

I remember mentioning it way back here, but I think it does deserves its own thread. I use it a fair bit, but tend to forget to log movies from time to time (like, for almost all of June). I know Jeremy and Ryan used it at various points too.

I signed up for Letterboxd a few months ago, played with it for two days, and haven't been back since. I'd probably be more inclined to use it if I didn't already keep a film diary on my website and/or use Twitter to discuss/share thoughts on recent viewings with friends. But since I don't see it replacing either of those, it's just one more social network to keep up with, and I definitely don't need another one of those.

Sorry Jason, I did a search and must have overlooked the film journal thread you posted in. Glad to see a few others using it here but I am kind of on board with Darren. It just feels like one more thing to keep up with. Although, it is also another group of people and they aren't being convinced to journal here so...I guess I am trying to add more social media outlets to my life. Maybe Hoot Suite will update Letterboxd one day soon ;)

Sorry Jason, I did a search and must have overlooked the film journal thread you posted in. Glad to see a few others using it here but I am kind of on board with Darren. It just feels like one more thing to keep up with. Although, it is also another group of people and they aren't being convinced to journal here so...I guess I am trying to add more social media outlets to my life. Maybe Hoot Suite will update Letterboxd one day soon wink.png

Oh, it's not for everyone, obviously. I don't really journal anywhere else, so I like it. Plus, a few other friends use it (folks who aren't A&F fans), so it's a good way to keep up with what they're watching.

I keep my film viewing list here at A&F and at mubi.com here.

If anybody can send me an invite to the BETA of Letterboxd, please do!

If anybody can send me an invite to the BETA of Letterboxd, please do!

Still looking for an invite? I've got one left.

I grabbed your email to send you an invite but it looks like you are already hooked up. Look forward to hearing how you like it.

Anyone else interested?.

Edited by Thom

Got one. Thanks, Jason!

Got one. Thanks, Jason!

I live to serve.

I haven't been using it much, since I keep a list here and on mubi.com. But it looks pretty cool.

Jason and Anders (and anybody else on Letterboxd), a quick question: I see that it's easy to change a star rating on a review. But how does one *clear* the star rating? If decide not to include star ratings, I'd like to zero out those that I've posted. But it looks like I'm stuck with star ratings once I've begun, and instead of clearing a film's star rating, the best I can do is drag it down to 1/2-a-star (which sends the wrong message altogether). Do you see a way around this?

Jeffrey - go to or click on the Film image. This will bring up a brief synopsis with all your info (logged, rating, etc) on the right-hand side.

Just click on the "star" icon to the left of the star rating you gave the movie. This WILL delete the rating and ALL the star associated with it.

Hope this helps.

Hmm. Thanks, but that's not working for me. But it does work to delete my entire review of it and re-post it without a star rating. So, there's that.

Hmm. Thanks, but that's not working for me. But it does work to delete my entire review of it and re-post it without a star rating. So, there's that.

It might be worth mentioning this to the Letterboxd folks. From what I've seen, they've done a nice job of actually paying attention to users' comments on Twitter.

Sorry that didn't work Jeffrey. It seems odd that it would not work that way for each user. But do mention it to the Letterboxd folks as Jason mentioned above. He is right, they are pretty responsive to user issues and comments. At one point they had a way for users to place votes on fixes and new functionality. Each user received a selected amount of points that they could use to vote. They could use 1 or 2 at a time or even place all the votes on one specific request. They may still have this, I haven't looked for it again. I believe it was in the FAQ section.

Looking for a Letterboxd Beta invite if anyone has one available...

Edited by Nicholas

Nick, just Facebook message me the email you want the invite sent to.

I should probably spend a bit more time looking at Letterboxd, since so many interesting people are starting to use it. But I have to say, I've been pretty happy to use mubi.com as my film-related social network for lists, ratings, etc. Plus, the publish the usually excellent Notebook blog.

Thanks again, Anders. I'm not familiar with how Mubi works; I'm really enjoying Letterboxd thus far.

Thread bump. This is my new favorite website, and I'm glad it's being used by other A&Fers. I wasn't sure what to do with it initially, but then discovered that you could directly import your IMDb lists, saving the time and effort it would take to collect all your films from scratch. Now, it's a way for me to post brief, personal reviews for every movie I watch, allowing for past reflection as my artistic taste continues to evolve down the road. Who knows: maybe it'll even be useful for its social networking aspect, if I ever find people willing to take such a place seriously!

Letterboxd.com is open for everybody now, free of charge. You can pay to get extra features. (I paid for the Pro level.)