Twenty One Pilots -- Regional at Best

I just discovered this album tonight. I haven't listened to every track yet, but I've fallen in love with a couple of them already--"Car Radio" and "Kitchen Sink", both seemingly nerdy, sonorous, toe-tapping raps that grow to stunningly loud and cathartic crescendos, and fade gently into a piano resolution. I love the question in "Holding Onto You", "Is it time to move our feet / to an introspective beat?" Why yes, I can see myself taking up that invitation, especially when they marry an accomplished production with vocalists whose honesty comes through every time their voices cracks from sheer emotion. Available on Spotify.

(I don't often venture into the Music forum, so forgive me if I missed a discussion of this somewhere else.)

Edited by David Smedberg

That's just how eye roll.

• 3 months later...

Since I created this thread, "Regional at Best" has found it's way to the very top of my "Most Played" list in iTunes, but so far no responses here, so I though that I'd kill 2 birds with one stone: I've committed to myself to write one blog post a month, and this is still criminally underrecognized, so I wrote it up in more detail:

There’s something appropriately Halloween-y about the indie band I’ve chosen to feature in this month’s post. Within their unique blend of rap and upbeat rock (at least, unique in my experience), there’s an undercurrent of terror, and a sense of the macabre underbelly of life. ... But because Twenty One Pilots (so named because of a throw-away line from “All My Sons”) allow their Christian faith to inform their music, fear and despair are never an ending. Ultimately, they find hope in the struggle to tear meaning from the jaws of insanity, and the struggle to eke out some communion in the midst of crippling loneliness.

Am I crazy? (Don't answer that! :) ) Do check it out and let me know what you think.

Edited by David Smedberg

• 2 years later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread one more time, since the duo I mentioned here has since managed to springboard themselves all the way to the #1 spot in the Billboard rankings:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6576138/twenty-one-pilots-first-no-1-album-billboard-200

Their latest album, Blurryface, is not my favorite of their albums but contains the same elements that made them so addictive to me--the subtle complexities, the willingness to challenge me as a listener to listen more closely, and the hard-won hopefulness.

Anyone else catching on to Twenty One Pilots now that they've fought their way out of being "Regional at Best"? :)