Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

The last books in the Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games franchises have all been split into two movies. So why should Peter Jackson settle for splitting the final installment in *his* franchise into two movies? Why not split it into... three?

- - -

'The Hobbit' Filmmakers in Deep Talks With Warner Bros. to Make Third Movie

Sources close to production say Peter Jackson has concluded that he wants to turn his upcoming two-film adaptation of the J.R.R. Tolkien epic into a trilogy.

Hollywood Reporter, July 24

Just in case..... whistling2.gif

edit: (as of 8/31/12) Links to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013).

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I remember hearing once that Jackson wanted to bring in more of the peripheral Middle-Earth stories for the movies and go beyond just what is in The Hobbit novel itself. I wonder if this is a consequence of that.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

The Hobbit III:Return of the Hobbitses....?

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Links to our threads on the theatrical versions of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Aug-Sep 2003), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Sep 2003 - Sep 2009) and the trilogy as a whole (Dec 2003 - present).

Links to our threads on the extended editions of The Fellowship of the Ring (Aug 2003), The Two Towers (Nov-Dec 2003), The Return of the King (Mar 2004 - May 2005) and the trilogy as a whole (Feb 2005 - Jun 2006), plus our threads-with-polls on which extended editions are our favorites (Dec 2004) and which extended editions we would rank first (Dec 2004 - Jul 2008).

Link to our thread on the "limited edition" DVDs (Jun-Nov 2006).

Links to our threads on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Jul 2004 - present) and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (May 2011 - present).

Links to our more thematic threads on 'Religious imagery in LotR page to screen' (Aug 2003), 'GANDALF THE GrAY' (Oct 2003 - Oct 2009), 'God in Lord of the Rings type books' (Nov 2003 - Apr 2004), 'anyone got a LOTR electronic press kit / lots of photos?' (Dec 2003), 'McKellen: No Source of Morality in Hobbiton?' (Dec 2003), 'Re-reading LOTR in light of the films, Who do you see in your mind?' (Nov 2005), 'Favorite lines: LOTR & Narnia books, nominate yours! (Nov-Dec 2005).

Links to our threads on spin-offs and spoofs like 'Howard Shore conducts LOTR symphony!' (Jul 2004) and 'Lord of the Rings by George Lucas' (Oct 2006).

Links to our 'Literature' threads on 'Lord of the Rings: Real Tales' (Aug 2003) and 'The Hobbit - Illustrated by Maurice Sendak' (Mar 2011).

Links to our threads on such technically unrelated projects as the animated versions of The Hobbit (1966) and The Lord of the Rings (1978), the documentary Ringers: Lord Of The Fans (2005) and the stage production The Lord of the Rings: The Musical (2006-2007).

- - -

Tyler wrote:
: I remember hearing once that Jackson wanted to bring in more of the peripheral Middle-Earth stories for the movies and go beyond just what is in The Hobbit novel itself. I wonder if this is a consequence of that.

Well, that was the rationale for splitting The Hobbit into *two* movies in the first place. *Three* just begins to seem excessive.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I don't think he has the rights to The Silmarillion, only to The Lord of the Rings (including its appendices) and The Hobbit.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

IIRC, Jackson was recently asked about the possibility of making The Silmarillion into a movie. He responded that, essentially, the Tolkien family refuses to sell the rights.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Peter Jackson made it official on Facebook last night.

I suggest the subtitles be revised to reflect this new plan.

"There And Back Again" is clearly not appropriate for the middle chapter. I suggest the first film be retitled something like:

The Hobbit: Partway There…And Meanwhile, at the White Council…Then, the Necromancer!…And in Lothlorien…Almost There…

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

You know... I get all the jokes (some of which are very funny) and criticisms (some of which are well-deserved), but at this point I'm happy to let Jackson explore Middle-Earth through The Hobbit for 3 more films. We're not likely to see a different take on Middle Earth for quite some time, and for all he does wrong, Jackson hasn't really come close to ruining it for me yet. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

You know... I get all the jokes (some of which are very funny) and criticisms (some of which are well-deserved), but at this point I'm happy to let Jackson explore Middle-Earth through The Hobbit for 3 more films. We're not likely to see a different take on Middle Earth for quite some time, and for all he does wrong, Jackson hasn't really come close to ruining it for me yet. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Agreed.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

IIRC, Jackson was recently asked about the possibility of making The Silmarillion into a movie. He responded that, essentially, the Tolkien family refuses to sell the rights.

The Silmarillion is the only Middle-Earth book I've read, but it seems like it would very difficult to make into a film.

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

I suggest the subtitles be revised to reflect this new plan.

"There And Back Again" is clearly not appropriate for the middle chapter. I suggest the first film be retitled something like:

The Hobbit: Partway There…And Meanwhile, at the White Council…Then, the Necromancer!…And in Lothlorien…Almost There…

Hah.

Whatever else these films end up being, they will certainly not be THE HOBBIT.

Edited by Ryan H.

The Hobbit, Plus Those Appendices You Probably Didn't Read.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

I did not have near the problems other had with the films...I really enjoyed them...though it probably does not hurt that I read each book after seeing each movie. So I can still look forward to these films.

Edited by Nezpop

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Notice the change in title. This opens July 18th, 2014. Links to the other two films have been moved to the first post.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Oh, to have "the benefit of the doubt" again.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Oh, to have "the benefit of the doubt" again.

Yeah, sometimes when a movie is just so awesome, you want to not have seen it so you can have the joy of anticipating it again. I know just what you mean.

The whole "we're likely to not have another adaptation again for a very long time" is rather poignant. of course if someone had used that argument during the whole animated Hobbit movie piece of crap I'd probably be just as cynical and unhappy with how the adaptation went. But as far as Jackson's world he's built, I think it's light years ahead of that and the animated Lord of the Rings movies..so I'm happy. Nothing was ever gonna be good enough. I can live with what Jackson has come up with. It's far better than what could have been.

Though I do think Del Toro coulda done better.

I just love it when people here dislike a movie that they were really hoping to like, they really really dislike it. You get to hear jokes, complaints, etc. for weeks on end. It does get old after awhile. If II hear the word bloated one more time I might just bloat myself til I explode. Heh.

Okay, rant over...do love ya guys....I guess it's a movie critic thing.

Edited by Justin Hanvey

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story

I just love it when people here dislike a movie that they were really hoping to like, they really really dislike it. You get to hear jokes, complaints, etc. for weeks on end. It does get old after awhile. If II hear the word bloated one more time I might just bloat myself til I explode. Heh.

Okay, rant over...do love ya guys....I guess it's a movie critic thing.

When something you want to love lets you down, it stings. That's true for everyone, not just movie critics.

Edited by Ryan H.