Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler

Alien: Covenant (Was Alien: Paradise Lost / Prometheus 2)

60 posts in this topic

Sounds like it's going to happen.

The $130 million-budgeted film grossed a solid but not spectacular $303 million globally, putting it right on the franchise bubble. Fox confirms to THR that Scott and the studio actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up (stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed) and are talking to new writers because Prometheus co-scribe Damon Lindelof might not be available. "Ridley is incredibly excited about the movie, but we have to get it right. We can't rush it," says Fox president of production Emma Watts, who also has overseen the successful reboots of the X-Men and Planet of the Apes franchises. APrometheus sequel would be released in 2014 or 2015.
Edited by Tyler

Exclusive: Noomi Rapace Says She's Met With Ridley Scott, 'Prometheus 2' Script Being Worked On Now

Catching up with the actress as she did press rounds for "Dead Man Down," when we asked where she was in the "Prometheus 2" process, she said, "They're working on the script. I met Ridley in London a couple of weeks ago. I would love to work with him again and I know that he would like to do another one. It's just like we need to find the right story. I hope we will." . . .

But, we had to ask, since original screenwriter Damon Lindelof (who took the original script, a more straightforward prequel, into all those loopy directions) isn't coming back (he's got an HBO series in the works and that super-mysterious Disney thing "Tomorrowland"), have they hired a writer? "You would have to ask someone at the studio about who the writer is." We prodded -- was she sure she can't squeal? "No!" she chirped back. . . .

The Playlist, February 26

Ain't It Cool News sums up recent reports/developments:

, both studio and director are "freaking out" over their inability to hit upon a workable premise for the second film in the proposed trilogy. I'm told "freaking out" is something of an overstatement, but it's true that Fox and Scott have been hearing pitches from numerous screenwriters, and there's no real direction home because Damon Lindelof - the fella who expanded Jon Spaihts's original, one-and-done PROMETHEUS screenplay - sort of left them without one.

Bloody-Disgusting places the blame squarely on Lindelof's shoulders, which isn't entirely fair. He didn't hatch the idea for a trilogy; that was something the studio and Scott were interested in all along. . . .

UPDATE:
. Below is an excerpt, but you should head over there to read his entire email. . . .

‘Prometheus’ Sequel Moving Forward at Fox With New Writer

Fox and Ridley Scott are getting closer to returning to space as Jack Palgen (“Transcendence”) is in talks to write the follow-up to last year’s sci-fi blockbuster, “Prometheus.”

Scott will produce again through his Scott Free banner though it’s unknown at this time if he will direct. Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender are also expected to return.

Plot details are still be worked out but Scott has said in interviews that while the first “Prometheus” had several elements linking it to the “Alien” franchise, this latest installment will feel more like its own film. . . .

Variety, June 17

‘Prometheus 2' Lands ‘Green Lantern’ Writer; May Feature Multiple Michael Fassbenders (Exclusive)

After working with Ridley Scott on a new “Blade Runner” movie, veteran scribe Michael Green has been hired to rewrite the untitled “Prometheus” sequel for 20th Century Fox, TheWrap has learned.

Jack Paglen (“Transcendence”) wrote the original draft of the screenplay.

Multiple sources have told TheWrap that the “Untitled Ridley Scott Project” that 20th Century Fox announced it will release in March 2016 is “Prometheus 2,” although the film may not ultimately use that title. An insider told TheWrap that production is scheduled to start this fall, after Scott has delivered his Moses movie “Exodus” to Fox. . . .

The Wrap, March 24

Ridley Scott says there will be no xenomorph in this film:

“The beast is done. Cooked,” he says simply. “I got lucky meeting Giger all those years ago. It’s very hard to repeat that. I just happen to be the one who forced it through because they said it’s obscene. They didn’t want to do it and I said, ‘I want to do it, it’s fantastic’. But after four (he has conveniently forgotten the ‘AvP’ movies), I think it wears out a little bit. There’s only so much snarling you can do. I think you’ve got to come back with something more interesting. And I think we’ve found the next step. I thought the Engineers were quite a good start.”

Ridley Scott is planning to connect Prometheus to the Alien movies, eventually.

But it won’t be in the next one. It will be in the one after this one or maybe even a fourth film before we get back into the Alien franchise...

The whole point of it is to explain the Alien franchise and to explain the how and why of the creation of the Alien itself. I always thought of the Alien as a kind of piece of bacterial warfare. I always thought that that original ship, which I call the Croissant, was a battleship, holding these biomechanoid creatures that were all about destruction.

According to Scott, Paradise Lost apparently *will* have some connection with Ripley after all:

“In a way it is Prometheus 2. It’s exactly the same story. But it was always in the works to be called that [Alien: Paradise Lost]. Is Prometheus actually taking us off course from where I’m going, which is actually backing into the first Alien... I’ve even got connections with Ripley [in this], but I’m not telling you what.”

Boo! Hiss!

Ripley was just one member of the ensemble in the original film. The fact that she happened to be the only survivor -- and thus the only character who could also appear in the sequels -- was essentially accidental. "Connecting" these movies to her makes no sense whatsoever. Give it a rest.

(I'm actually keen to see a Prometheus sequel, though, if only to see if Scott will have the balls to go through with his Jesus-was-an-alien idea.)

Rumor is that Katherine Waterston is playing

Ellen Ripley's mother

I expect it to suck and I'm eager to see it. (I say this as one who probably watches Prometheus roughly once a week, maybe once every other week. It's one of my favorite things to put on when I'm about to fall asleep. This week I finally started listening to Ridley Scott's audio commentary, and bits of it are pretty blah -- a fair bit of describing what we're already watching onscreen -- but every now and then he goes off on an amusing little tangent, grumbling about how a director of his stature and experience shouldn't have to deal with "fundamentally stupid" people still challenging his ideas all the time. (In fairness, that particular tangent was in reference to the holographic map, which really *is* one of the better things about that film, but which a number of people apparently had trouble visualizing.))

2 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

I say this as one who probably watches Prometheus roughly once a week, maybe once every other week. It's one of my favorite things to put on when I'm about to fall asleep.

If I saw this posted on Facebook, I'd have a difficult time choosing whether to give it a "Like", or post this in response...

Marcus.jpg

The red band trailer is here, and it seems to show quite a lot, so be forewarned if you'd like to go into the film cold. Merry Christmas.

Ugliness.