Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler

Alien: Covenant (Was Alien: Paradise Lost / Prometheus 2)

32 posts in this topic

So, presumably someone you know has been killed in a horrid fashion.  So to grieve, you hit the showers--you know, wash away the pain. Oh, and get some with the other guy who's also washing away his sorrows with a good rinse.  And of course your shower doesn't have any walls--it's just a big tunnel that goes off into darkness.  Darkness, conveniently, where the nasty thing who has just eaten a few of your colleagues is waiting to eat one of you two who decided the best and most effective way to handle a crisis is to get some nookie.  Only this time, it's not a freak in a hockey mask punishing you for having sex, it's a xenomorph, who predictively allows the cameraman to get a good view first, then sprays blood all over your boobs in an aesthetic manner while you figure out how to fight it off naked, saving your vengeance for a later, more clothed, chance. Can. Not. Wait.

For what it's worth, one of the actors has said that the colony ship in this film is populated by "couples". So I'm not sure the sex is as casual as "getting some" would imply.

But yeah, this does not look good. And by that I mean it does not look good *as a sequel to Prometheus*, let alone as a prequel to Alien.

One of the things that irritates me about prequels is the way they're always trying to up the ante -- make the villains look *more* powerful, *more* horrific -- even though it means that, if you watch the movies chronologically, everything will look *less* impressive as time goes on. Hence Rogue One ups the trooper ante by giving us "death troopers" -- troopers that Darth Vader never bothers to use in the original trilogy, apparently preferring the regular stormtroopers instead. And hence Alien: Covenant gives us an alien bursting through someone's *spine*, etc, etc., etc.

New trailer:

Plus a "prologue" that was directed by Ridley Scott's son Luke:

Given that SXSW is doing a retro screening of Alien with Scott, Fassbender, and McBride  in attendance, I'm wondering if this will be the advertised "Secret Screening"?

P.S. Hmmm...and they just added Franco's Disaster Artist to the Midnigher's Screening, so 

This still looks stupid and unnecessarily convoluted.  

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Buckeye Jones said:

This still looks stupid and unnecessarily convoluted.  

Is it just me, or does this strangely feel like one of those 1980's Roger Corman ALIEN knockoffs (Galaxy of Terror, Forbidden World, Creature, etc.) on steroids, rather than a continuation of the original?

Edited by John Drew

I just love how, in Prometheus, the characters took their helmets off in an alien atmosphere without a thought for whether there might be any airborne viruses or something, and now, in Covenant, these characters are walking around and stepping on spore-releasing objects and they're *still* breathing the open air as though nothing could go wrong.