My thoughts on Dave Eggers extend to previous incarnations of this board. I've gone from skeptic to fan.

As often as I listen to audiobooks, I've read all my Eggers in paper-and-ink. That looks as though it might change with A Hologram for the King, the audio version of which gets a rave from Salon.

Graham is the narrator of five of Eggers’ six previous audiobooks, and for each he has offered a slight shift in his tonal register to replicate something of the timbre of the book. In “A Hologram for the King,” he pursues a kind of accordioning strategy, in which a regularized ramping-up and releasing of vocal tension mirrors each chapter’s pleasing push-pull of scene and narration. His skillful performance goes a long way toward breaking up the monotony that sometimes creeps into those lesser audiobooks that run for several hours at a single vocal speed.

Neither library system near me has a copy on audio yet, so this one will have to wait for now.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker