Sign in to follow this  
Christian

The David Letterman Thread

My wife and I are Letterman fans an often spend our wind down time a couple nights a week with Dave. We have noticed, as of late, that his interviewing methods are growing sad to partake in. We have found him too be more of a bitter old man or trying to be edgy - pushing the buttons that never suited him.

Maybe he is just tired from all the long years and the new baby.

More bitter and edgy? No, I find Dave too willing to coast through the publicity-machine part of the show -- too content to run on auto-pilot -- to be edgy these days. I was a big, big fan just a few years ago still, around the time he did that whole "It's not Oprah 'til it's Oprah!" thing etc., but lately I find I tend to do OTHER stuff until 12:35am, and THEN I watch Conan. Now HE has really grown on me in the last couple years.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Interviewing was never his strong suit and he hasn't been polishing it. What I still enjoy is the 30 to 35 minutes of content that tries to delay the inevitable interview.

I don't mean edgy, like cutting edge, I meant edgy like - being irritating during an interview in order to appear edgy. I should have chosen a better word, I just couldn't think of one at the time. The Ann Heche interview was truly horrible and invasive, except for the moment where you would think the audience would have roared with cheers and support for something Ann said and they sat there silent, dead silent. The last interview with Nicole Kidman was pathetic and a bit insulting. His best interviews have been with politicians, news anchors and political commentary show hosts.

Conan has been my favorite for about 8 years. My wife had to let the show grow on her.

I'd be edgy and irritated too, if I had the uninspired booking agent that Letterman appears to be saddled with. In four of the past five shows, including last Fridays rerun, Dave has had as his guest... Nicole Kidman (last Fri.) - Bette Midler (Tue.) - Christopher Walken (Wed.) - and last night Matthew Broderick. And what are they all promoting? That's right, The Stepford Wives. Who wouldn't be irritated when being relegated to the job of pitchman for an unnecessary remake? If I was Dave, I think I'd prefer having a little more heart surgery done than being stuck with another week like he has just gone through. When I heard that Broderick was the guest last night, I turned it off... I couldn't imagine he was going to bring anything new to the table that the others hadn't already covered, except for a clip that focused on his character. With all the hub-bub The Late Show is making, I almost expect to see a combined Paramount Pictures - Dreamworks - and World Wide Pants presents at the beginning of the film.

I'd be edgy and irritated too, if I had the uninspired booking agent that Letterman appears to be saddled with. In four of the past five shows, including last Fridays rerun, Dave has had as his guest... Nicole Kidman (last Fri.) - Bette Midler (Tue.) - Christopher Walken (Wed.) - and last night Matthew Broderick. And what are they all promoting? That's right, The Stepford Wives. Who wouldn't be irritated when being relegated to the job of pitchman for an unnecessary remake?

Senseless promoting isn't new to Late night talk shows and with a cast such as this, it is no suprise. They probably need all the promotion they can get to make some money back.

It is all part of the job. It is Dave's duty to make the interview interesting. All of the talk shows make their bread and butter the same way. We don't watch Dave for who is on but for how he interacts with them.

Links to our threads on 'Letterman subject of restraining order' (Dec 2005) and 'Letterman's most awkward moments' (Feb 2009 - Mar 2010).

David Letterman came out of retirement recently to do a Donald Trump-themed top ten list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb27oPxHtXQ