Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

Best Chili Recipe

Oh, now you're talking. I wrote a piece in Comment a couple of years ago about cooking a new chili a week. The recipe linked at the bottom of the article was one of my favorites in the regional cookbook I was cooking through. I'm not incredibly picky in regards to styles of chili, but over the past few years I've begun to lean toward the meat/peppers/no beans variety.

Jason, is that Highway 61 recipe a moderate scorcher? I frequently cook chili for my crew, but with the sensitive culinary tastes of my 7 & 9 year olds I have to frequently modify recipes.

I go no beans if it is of a Cincinatti province, otherwise, beans. I like the extra body. My current recipe is playing with a bit of coffee and anchovy added at different points in the process.

Jason, any odd ingredients you have run across that have really worked?

As is, it's moderately hot. I'd say make sure the barbeque sauce is on the tame side, and feel free to replace the peppers with something a bit more mild. The smokiness from the chipoltes helps the recipe a lot, but feel free to add liquid smoke or something instead.

This is the best chili recipe I've ever followed. The choice of filet mignon as a meat is inspired!

Finndog's Filet Mignon Chili Recipe

What you'll need:

4170162.jpg1) One Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili Kit (available at amazon.com)

2) 2 1/2 - 3 Lbs cubed Beef Tenderloin Steak-Filet Mignon (Costco has good quality & price)

3) One 8 oz can of Tomato Sauce

4) 16 oz Newcastle Brown Ale Beer

5) One Green Bell Pepper

6) 2 Cloves Garlic

7) Extra Virgin Olive Oil

8) Lawry's Seasoned Salt

9) Shredded Cheddar Cheese

10) 4.5-5.5 quart covered sauce pan (preferably non-stick)

11) Optional: 4-6 "Western Bagel" Cheese Bagels

Directions:

1) Cube tenderloin steak into 1" cubes, trim away fat.

2) Wash and de-seed green bell pepper and dice.

3) Dice or press two garlic cloves

4) Add enough olive oil to form a small layer in sauce pan. Add diced garlic and bell pepper & sauté over medium heat for 5 min. Sprinkle with Lawry's seasoned salt.

5) Add cubed tenderloin to pan with the sautéed bell pepper. Stir meat over medium heat to slightly brown the meat. Do not cook the meat it should look rare in the center.

6) Add 8-oz can of tomato sauce (save the can for beer & masa flour mix)

7) Using the tomato can to measure add two cans of Newcastle beer to meat & sauce. Pour beer slowly into can so it doesn't foam. You should have a taste of beer left for the Chef!

8) Add all the seasoning packets except red pepper and masa flour. Mix well and reduce heat to lowest or simmer. Slowly sprinkle in red pepper packet and mix (add only half if you're a chicken). Cover pot or pan and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.

9) Add 1/4 cup of warm water to empty tomato can then add masa flour and mix. Add masa flour mix to chili, add a little Lawry's salt stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

10) You're done! Now top off your bowls generously with shredded cheddar cheese and Enjoy!

Jason, any odd ingredients you have run across that have really worked?

A few off the top of my head:

-liquid smoke.

-jalapeno powder (specifically jalapeno...it really packs a punch, so I don't think I'd ever add more than a teaspoon).

-Mexican oregano (which is quite different from regular ol' oregano).

I've only use the liquid smoke on one or two occasions, but the other two have seen a lot of use.