Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

Infield Fly Rule

M. Leary   

Seeing a lot of static about the call in the Braves/Cards game. I was pretty much raised on this rule, and taught to wait for the decline of the ball, but there is much resistance about this specific application.

Please, share your stories about the Infield Fly Rule.

In Gump & Co. Forrest says: Learn the infield fly rule: this will give you a good perspective on life.

Persona   

I didn't see the game. The Cards are my third most hated team behind the Tigers and the stinky winky White Sox, and all of the rest of the American league, so I hope the call went against the Cards.

Anyway.

I am here just to say that sometimes in that situation, actually IMO quite often as a shortstop in that situation, well, you're just not clear on what the infield actually is; where it begins and where it ends. If you let the ball drop when you're unclear of the parameters, a riotous brawl or stomping fracas may ensue. (Yes, even in church league.)

(12 inch)

Edited by Persona

Well, it's a notoriously slippery rule because it invokes the phrase "ordinary effort," which is impossible to define, but which umpires will apparently recognize when they see it. In this case, a shortstop raced out into left field from the infield, was sorta/kinda camped under the ball (a necessary component of "ordinary effort" in my opinion), and was called off by the left fielder, who had the better play on the ball. The ball dropped between them. When I look at the replay, which I've done numerous times because this play will apparently change the course of America as we know it, I, personally, am not convinced that the shortstop was camped out under the ball, waiting for it to descend. Blown call. Error. Maybe a base hit. Anything but an out.

Umpires blow calls every day. This one was, unfortunately, magnified because of the implications of a one-game playoff, and it may or may not have impacted the outcome of the game, and hence the season for the Atlanta Braves. In my opinion, there's a simple eye test here that could have been and should have been applied. If the left fielder has the better play on the ball, it's not an infield fly. It's a shallow fly ball to the outfield, and the rest of the play proceeds accordingly.

M. Leary   

On the Cards/Nats final game, Ian Desmond tweeted: "God doesn't make mistakes. We will swallow this down, use it as a tool for the future. Hats off to the Cardinals. Thank you DC"

Desmond has been one of my favorite ball players to watch this year, but this tweet was total class. I did not expect the Cards to get anywhere in the post-season, and they wouldn't have if not for the new wild card. Seeing the Nats take the NL would have made my baseball year... excepting the Cards, of course.