Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Miss Bala

Russ, Michael and I are supposed to discuss Miss Bala this week. That would be easier for me to do if I'd finished the film, but I didn't get to it until last night and still have 45 minutes left to watch.

The movie has surprised me repeatedly. I have no idea where it's going. It has reminded me at different times of a straight-ahead genre film, a formal experiment, and a Steve McQueen Hunger-like examination of the human body as object.

I want to use the word "fascinating" to describe the film, but I have a lot of sorting to do still just on the portion of the film I've seen, let alone what remains.

The camerawork and the framing are very, very fine in Miss Bala. As with many films I admire, I found myself just staring at some of the imagery, while the story played out underneath. The lead actress is fantastic.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Thread over here. Looking forward to some responses there.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I knew of the other thread -- was just reading through it -- but had thought we were going to have a separate, dedicated discussion. I certainly don't want to exclude anyone, but saw this as a group viewing that was supposed to be its own thing, separate from the ongoing thread.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Miss bala is an action and thriller based filmĀ directed by Catherine Hardwicke and written by Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer. This is the worth watching movie according to me becauseĀ the language, the characters, the locations and especially a shooting scene between cops and narcos that is just breathtaking.

miss bala.jpg

Hi Aileen. I was a bit surprised that you liked this film, just because in my experience fans of "Christian" movie genre don't normally rate "R" rated movies that highly. Then I looked it up and saw that although the 2011 original was "R" that this one was PG-13. Anyway, I don't say that as an accusation or anything, but I'm wondering whether you like/watch a lot of movies in the action/thriller genre or whether this film is an outlier?