Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Miss Bala

Russ, Michael and I are supposed to discuss Miss Bala this week. That would be easier for me to do if I'd finished the film, but I didn't get to it until last night and still have 45 minutes left to watch.

The movie has surprised me repeatedly. I have no idea where it's going. It has reminded me at different times of a straight-ahead genre film, a formal experiment, and a Steve McQueen Hunger-like examination of the human body as object.

I want to use the word "fascinating" to describe the film, but I have a lot of sorting to do still just on the portion of the film I've seen, let alone what remains.

The camerawork and the framing are very, very fine in Miss Bala. As with many films I admire, I found myself just staring at some of the imagery, while the story played out underneath. The lead actress is fantastic.

I knew of the other thread -- was just reading through it -- but had thought we were going to have a separate, dedicated discussion. I certainly don't want to exclude anyone, but saw this as a group viewing that was supposed to be its own thing, separate from the ongoing thread.