Overstreet

Spotlight (2015)

Yes, yes, and yes. Matt Singer

Spotlight’s direction is “unsexy” because it depicts a world that is unsexy; it is “workmanlike” because it depicts a world of work. If the Boston Globe reporters’ jobs were fun and exciting, everyone would do them and the newspaper business would be thriving. The whole point of the film is to show why these journalists’ efforts were important in spite of the fact that what they did was, by and large, boring, tedious, and monotonous. Gussying up this film with elaborate camera shots and eye-catching angles would be a betrayal of everything Spotlight represents. In the same way that the Spotlight team keep themselves out of the story, McCarthy keeps himself out of the movie.

Which on a related note, is my biggest problem with The Revenant - the direction doesn't fit the movie.

In light of the Pennsylvania grand jury's report yesterday, I remembered Andrew's and my debate in this thread about the guilt of the hierarchy, and I just wanted to come back to say I was completely wrong, and Andrew was right.

Well, that's gracious of you to write, Evan.  Actually, I was thinking about Spotlight as I read about the PA grand jury report.  And I'll be honest, I'm more than a little puzzled by the strong reaction to the report, since to me it seems to say nothing really new.  Evan (or any other believers for that matter):  is the reaction because it makes irrefutable the reality that the RC hierarchy's response is still deny and hide, or is it something else entirely?  (And in case it's not clear, I'm asking from a place of genuine curiosity, with no hidden agenda.)   

I think three years ago I really believed (out of naiveté, willful blindness, or a combination thereof, I'm not sure) that it was "a few bad apples" and not a widespread institutional corruption. Reading the PA grand jury report made it clear not only how long the abuses and coverups had lasted, but also how severely the hierarchy had fostered that culture of secrecy and coverups, which in turn reminded me of our discussion from 2015.

Edited by Evan C