Tyler

Transcendence

The Hollywood Reporter:

] Johnny Depp is in negotiations to star in Wally Pfister's Transcendence for Alcon. 

The film, written by Jack Paglen, will mark the Inception cinematographer's directorial debut.

Depp will receive a mammoth payday for the role, $20 million against 15 percent of the gross, sources say.

Plot details have been closely guarded, but sources describe the film as in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Inception.

The story centers on a man who creates a computer that develops a malevolent awareness. Depp will play a husband who gets sucked into the computer, contingent on changes Pfister is making to the script, sources say.

Pfister has met with and likes Noomi Rapace as the film's female lead and is considering James McAvoy and Tobey Maguire for other male lead. Oscar winner Christoph Waltz has an offer for a supporting role.

It's about a man who gets sucked into a computer, but it's not Tron, I guess.

Hmm, a computer that develops a malevolent awareness and a love story...anyone remember Electric Dreams

Well, the big difference is Kubrick makes slow plodding dull films.

(Ducks)

;)

Okay as much as I wanted to like 2001: A Space Odyssey, and truly there were some brilliant parts to it. Overall I did find it boring. I wouldn't watch it again...it's one of those movies that you watch once to enjoy the artistry, and feel confused at the ending sequence which left me a bit..."wait what?" (though now i think I get it a bit more), but yeah, have to agree with Nezpop at least on 2001. I know that's a favorite here, so maybe that means I will lose some street cred, but oh well. The Shining is the only other Kubrick film I've seen and I like it for what it is, but as an adaptation it failed completely.

Edited by Taliesin

The Shining is the only other Kubrick film I've seen and I like it for what it is, but as an adaptation it failed completely.

Well, that's because Kubrick was actually filming a secret confession of how he faked the moon landing and an apologia for Native American rights. You can only do so many things in one movie.

The Shining is the only other Kubrick film I've seen and I like it for what it is, but as an adaptation it failed completely.

Well, that's because Kubrick was actually filming a secret confession of how he faked the moon landing and an apologia for Native American rights. You can only do so many things in one movie.

10961-3.jpg

I was more joking...I appreciate Kubrick enough to films like the Shining, 2001 and Full Metal Jacket... but I would say his films move at their own pace. Which is cool. I loved the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford-and at time that film moves at a leisurely pace like molasses. :)

I can't laugh in any way better than that picture for how funny that was...so...yeah...HAHA

I loved the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford-

Excellent movie. And yeah, slow doesn't always bother me. I loved Tree of Life and most Malick movies.

Edited by Taliesin

The teaser did not pique my interest. Although, it is growing on me...so...maybe that is a good sign.

I guess this is also a sign that there will not be any Culture Club music in the sound track.

Okay, for the record, I am interested.

One line I find extremely interesting is, "If we don't stop it, it will be the end of mankind as we know it." Why is this always said as a negative thing? Why is it that changing "how, or the way, we know something" is bad? Maybe it is more about the rate at which the change occurs.

One line I find extremely interesting is, "If we don't stop it, it will be the end of mankind as we know it." Why is this always said as a negative thing? Why is it that changing "how, or the way, we know something" is bad? Maybe it is more about the rate at which the change occurs.

I had a similar thought. Curiously, I just had a lengthy discussion with someone about the condition of our 'futuristic' movies. Apart from a few exceptions, I think it's safe to say that we have a grim anticipation of an apocalyptic future embedded in our cultural psyche. War will ravage us, corporate greed will overpower us, our technology will get the best of us. It all seems very tired to me.

And yeah, I find this trailer fairly uninspired. It looks very much like we're appealing to the Inception crowd (which, of course) and there's not a single frame here that looks original or even interesting. And what the hell is Morgan Freeman doing there?

And yeah, I find this trailer fairly uninspired. It looks very much like we're appealing to the Inception crowd (which, of course) and there's not a single frame here that looks original or even interesting. And what the hell is Morgan Freeman doing there?

Uninspired, sure. But what specifically struck as INCEPTION-like? I don't really see much there in terms of visual style or even in terms of thematically, other than both scifi, that reminds me of Nolan's film. Is it just our knowledge that Pfister is Nolan's DP?

Uninspired, sure. But what specifically struck as INCEPTION-like? I don't really see much there in terms of visual style or even in terms of thematically, other than both scifi, that reminds me of Nolan's film. Is it just our knowledge that Pfister is Nolan's DP?

I won't judge until I've seen it, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Pfister is cashing in on Nolan fame and formula. The smart-man's-blockbuster approach that made everyone love Inception so much. Not to mention the heavily borrowed cast. 

But, this only from the trailer. And I'll be doing my best not to watch any more trailers for this from now on!

The only thing that got me thinking of Inception was the levitating particles, which reminded me of some of the physics-defying stuff in that other film (especially in the cafe scene).

I will be very interested to see the action scenes (there's a lot of action in the later stages of the story), because one typical complaint regarding Nolan's work is that the action is often incoherent and poorly staged/edited. It will be fascinating to see if that's more the fault of Nolan or Pfister.