Overstreet

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

Well, Disney can't do a worse job of managing this franchise than Lucas was doing, right? Right?!?

Um, "The companies have also targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7."

Is it April 1st?

Anders   

Possible upside: we may finally get nice, high-quality releases of the theatrical versions of the STAR WARS films.

Yes, this is a distinct possibility. There's clearly money being left on the table and it seems that only George's pride was keeping him from releasing them.

I'm really confused why after holding out for so long he decided to do this. There must have been offers in the past, but I guess he's had a long relationship with the Disney company with regards to the rides for his Star Wars and Indiana Jones films, but this seems strange. Once the details come out, I'm guessing this is going to be a massive sale price.

I have to say I'm a bit saddened. Like seeing a sports team that you've followed for a long time through thick and thin get sold, but there's always the hope of good management.

Possible upside: we may finally get nice, high-quality releases of the theatrical versions of the STAR WARS films.

That's exactly what I was thinking. This doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Also, I wonder how--if at all--this will change plans for a "dark" and Sopranos/Deadwood-esque Star Wars TV series.

Anders   

I'd love to see a Pixar/Star Wars film myself.

It certainly makes a Brad Bird-penned Star Wars film more possible.

Maybe Disney/Pixar can finally release movie versions of the Timothy Zahn Thrawn trilogy. I'd forgive them all their mistakes for that alone.

Edited by Taliesin

Anders   

Is it just me or is Disney starting to seem like this monster gobbling up everything I loved as a child (Marvel, Star Wars).

I guess this seems more strange to me than the Marvel acquisition, since Lucasfilm always had a much more personal (for good or ill) feel to it. I'm just surprised that he decided to do this, especially after working so hard to maintain rights over his own creations back in the day.

Yeah, I'll want to read Lucas' comments. Maybe he's just tired of the business altogether.

But man, an Episode 7 of STAR WARS. I figured one day we'd finally get one, but not so soon.

Isn't it obvious? He's going to take this money and make the art films he's always wanted to make.

The guys who release stuff for a limited time and throw it in a vault for seven years? ;)

or a cartoon or live action tv series following the EU Star Wars books chronologically. I'd also be okay with this. (I'm such a nerd)

I kind of doubt this would happen, and maybe for the better: some of the EU novels (especially the Kevin J. Anderson ones) are a low for the entire franchise.

Tyler   

or a cartoon or live action tv series following the EU Star Wars books chronologically. I'd also be okay with this. (I'm such a nerd)

Why is the European Union writing about Star Wars?

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV-VI on DVD and the 2011 edition of Episodes I-VI on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars and the various rumoured TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series).

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 8 - Nov 11, 2003), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 12-14, 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie? (with poll; Apr 18-20, 2004), Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 6-7, 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 15 - Jul 25, 2005), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 8-9, 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010).

Ryan H. wrote:

: Possible upside: we may finally get nice, high-quality releases of the theatrical versions of the STAR WARS films.

My thoughts exactly. Plus it's kind of fun to think that Lucasfilm and Pixar are finally together under the same corporate umbrella again.

Anders wrote:

: I'm really confused why after holding out for so long he decided to do this.

He's been making pretty loud retirement noises for a while, lately, no?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Maybe Disney will make a new Star Wars Holiday Special in which Mickey, Yoda, Kermit the Frog and Iron Man visit the North Pole together. And if Disney keeps buying up franchises at this rate, perhaps the Smurfs and G.I. Joe could join the party.

Tyler, haha! Expanded Universe.

Someone also mentioned a Grim Fandango Pixar Film, or Sam and Max. I'm suddenly more optimistic about this.

Edited by Taliesin