Overstreet

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

991 posts in this topic

Is anyone else visualizing the Disney Cinderella's Castle logo, and humming "When You Wish Upon a Star" segueing into the Star Wars main theme? It definitely doesn't have the same impact as the 20th Century fox fanfare into the main theme.

Maybe Disney/Pixar can finally release movie versions of the Timothy Zahn Thrawn trilogy. I'd forgive them all their mistakes for that alone.

If only. I would see that. As it is...I'm thinking the best we can hope for is a Pirates style set of movies. Which would be better than the Prequels, of course. But no way we're getting another Empire.

Princess Leia is a Disney Princess now.

Is anyone else visualizing the Disney Cinderella's Castle logo, and humming "When You Wish Upon a Star" segueing into the Star Wars main theme? It definitely doesn't have the same impact as the 20th Century fox fanfare into the main theme.

This. It's like how I'll always and forever associate the THX sound with INDEPENDENCE DAY.

Lucas talks about the transfer to Disney:

Lucas mentions that EPISODE 7, 8, and 9 will be adapted from his story treatments.

Edited by Ryan H.

Now, what does this mean for Indiana Jones? The press release doesn't mention Indiana Jones in any regard, so I'm guessing new Indy films aren't on the table right now. But does this essentially give Disney the go-ahead to make more films in that franchise, too?

Now, what does this mean for Indiana Jones? The press release doesn't mention Indiana Jones in any regard, so I'm guessing new Indy films aren't on the table right now. But does this essentially give Disney the go-ahead to make more films in that franchise, too?

According to io9, Indy is included, but since Paramount has the distribution rights movie-wise, it's unlikely to happen for a bit. [Of course, I don't know that this rules out another TV series like The Young Indiana Jones]

According to io9, Indy is included, but since Paramount has the distribution rights movie-wise, it's unlikely to happen for a bit. [Of course, I don't know that this rules out another TV series like The Young Indiana Jones]

Interesting. I'm sure Disney will work a deal out with Paramount if they're that interested in another Indiana Jones.

Here's Den of Geek on why the move might be the best possible thing for Star Wars:

Just imagine what creative, imaginative new film makers could do with Star Wars now. We’ve just had the 23rd James Bond film, Skyfall, which has shown that you can take a franchise that’s long established and still find new and interesting things to do with it. Star Wars isn’t so centred on one character as 007 either, so the possibilities are even broader. This is a chance for someone to walk into the universe that George Lucas created, and genuinely inject it with something new and exciting again. It's arguably the best thing to happen to Star Wars in nearly three decades.

--which is compelling, if I had any hope that it would work out that way. As the Thrawn trilogy showed, it is possible to do stuff in the SW universe that's interesting and compelling and that isn't tied to Lucas' purported "vision." But I'll believe it when I see it.

Does anyone really *care* what "creative, imaginative" filmmakers would do with this franchise? I mean, so long as the prequels are part of the series, what's the point? (Skyfall is a somewhat dubious reference point here, but at least that film has the benefit of being able to ignore all but two of its 20+ predecessors.)

Anyway, to quote what I posted at Facebook, in reference to that video:

Yeah, I remember how people used to say, back in the '70s, that Disney was in a slump and Lucas was filling the gap. And then, in the '00s, people said Disney was in a slump again and Pixar was filling the gap. But it's Disney that ended up buying Pixar and Lucasfilm, not vice versa, so, hmmm.

And hey, doesn't this cast a whole new light on all those making-of-STAR-WARS documentaries in which George Lucas whines that the big studios used to be run by moguls who were personally invested in their films but, by the '70s, they had all been acquired by soulless corporations?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Does anyone really *care* what "creative, imaginative" filmmakers would do with this franchise? I mean, so long as the prequels are part of the series, what's the point?

I dunno, I'm still getting used to thinking of the series as a "franchise" and not "three movies made a few decades back [with three more made several years later.]" I realize this whole sort of franchise thing started--more or less--with SW, but it's still a leap for me from "Prequels are coming out" to "ongoing TV show about The Clone Wars."

Put another way, the Prequels seemed like events in a way that more movies won't be, really--even if they do stick with the idea of just doing another trilogy. So going forward it's a whole 'nother ballgame: Star Wars as The Avengers rather than STAR WARS. If that even makes sense. Just the fact that they're continuing [again] radically changes the way the franchise is going to be viewed in the next couple of decades.

Edited by NBooth

^^

^^

^^

^^^^

^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^

BRILLIANT!

And while we're on the topic of sequels, where's Disney's THX-1139?

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Is 40 replies to a new topic in 5 hours some kind of record? Does PTC have an algorithm or something to calculate that?

Does anyone really *care* what "creative, imaginative" filmmakers would do with this franchise? I mean, so long as the prequels are part of the series, what's the point?

I dunno, I'm still getting used to thinking of the series as a "franchise" and not "three movies made a few decades back [with three more made several years later.]" I realize this whole sort of franchise thing started--more or less--with SW, but it's still a leap for me from "Prequels are coming out" to "ongoing TV show about The Clone Wars."

Put another way, the Prequels seemed like events in a way that more movies won't be, really--even if they do stick with the idea of just doing another trilogy. So going forward it's a whole 'nother ballgame: Star Wars as The Avengers rather than STAR WARS. If that even makes sense. Just the fact that they're continuing [again] radically changes the way the franchise is going to be viewed in the next couple of decades.

This is a great insight. I feel very similarly. I was very invested in the Prequels, but haven't even caught up with the tv series. Not sure how

I feel about a new series.

Considering the weakest Star Wars films were the ones Lucas exerted the most control over...I feel more hopeful. I mean, A New Hope may be the exception...but the stuff he kept a tight reign on seem to be the ones overall that really don't work. Let other writers and directors take a crack at it.

STAR WARS - Episode VII: The Mouse that Warred

Star-Wars-Weekends-Strike-Back-on-Disney.jpg

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Considering the weakest Star Wars films were the ones Lucas exerted the most control over...I feel more hopeful. I mean, A New Hope may be the exception...but the stuff he kept a tight reign on seem to be the ones overall that really don't work. Let other writers and directors take a crack at it.

This is a good point, and probably explains why I simply don't feel as worked up about this whole deal as much as I feel like I ought to be.

Possible upside: we may finally get nice, high-quality releases of the theatrical versions of the STAR WARS films.

Possible upside: we may finally get nice, high-quality releases of the theatrical versions of the STAR WARS films.

Yes, this is a distinct possibility. There's clearly money being left on the table and it seems that only George's pride was keeping him from releasing them.

That's exactly what I was thinking. This doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Also, I wonder how--if at all--this will change plans for a "dark" and Sopranos/Deadwood-esque Star Wars TV series.

The guys who release stuff for a limited time and throw it in a vault for seven years? wink.png

Then again, maybe not. According to The Hollywood Reporter...

It appears that George Lucas did not give the studio that has distributed the Star Wars films since 1977 a shot at buying his company. But Fox isn't out of the Star Wars game just yet -- which raises the question: What are the prospects for the ultimate Star Wars box set?

Disney will own and release future films in the Star Wars series (as for potential Indiana Jones films, Paramount retains some distribution rights and future movies will only be made if both Paramount and Disney agree on terms). Lucas apparently has sketched out plans for three more Star Wars films -- he always envisioned making nine -- with Episode Seven set for release in 2015. But Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars, No. 4 in the series, in perpetuity in all media worldwide. And as for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020.

While the rights on those five films eventually will revert to Disney, that "in perpetuity" pact for the first film appears to be an obstacle to Disney releasing a complete set -- unless a deal can be made.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

gangnam-style-star-wars-parody-gif.gif Edited by winter shaker

My friend Ken Priebe cooked this up right quick:

That excites me for the potential of full blown mock Disney Star Wars trailers.

But Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars, No. 4 in the series, in perpetuity in all media worldwide. And as for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020.

While the rights on those five films eventually will revert to Disney, that "in perpetuity" pact for the first film appears to be an obstacle to Disney releasing a complete set -- unless a deal can be made.

I'm not sure I understand why Fox's rights to Episode IV are more of an issue for future Disney home-video releases than they were for any of Lucas's previous tweaked editions.

I mean, presumably Fox's rights cover ANY version of Episode IV, not just the original theatrical version, right? That is, presumably it's been Lucas, not Fox, blocking an original-edition release of Star Wars on home video? If Fox played ball with Lucas on releasing the tweaked editions on home video, why wouldn't they be equally amenable to playing ball with Disney on releasing the original edition too? It's more money in everyone's pockets, right?

I read somewhere--Yahoo--I think, and it may be mentioned up above, but if Episode 7 deals with an aging Luke, Leia, and Han in any meaningfully exciting way, I'll really enjoy that! My kids still haven't seen the prequels, would be great to take them to a quality new star wars. Pretty hopeful.