Overstreet

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

991 posts in this topic

Nezpop wrote:

: I guess I would rather be a little hopeful than charge ahead with total negativity.

Oh, but why charge ahead in the first place? :)

Heh. I would say my tweet sums up my feelings:

Y'know... A Christmas Story 2 seems like a far more ill fated idea than new Star Wars films under the watch of Disney.

:)

Around the 3:30 mark in this 1983 interview, Mark Hamill talks about possibly coming back to play Luke Skywalker in 2004. (And then we get some footage of Hamill playing Mozart in the Broadway touring company version of Amadeus.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKD1xx0u-vs

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/11/2/luke-skywalker-to-be-primary-focus-of-new-star-wars-trilogy.html

Article where they claim that Mark Hammil is a certainty to appear in the new films, and that Luke Skywalker will be the main focus of the films and a possible trilogy after the new trilogy focusing on a female Skywalker....

points out something that hadn't occurred to me yet: Disney bought Pixar for over $7 billion, but they bought Lucasfilm for only $4 billion -- does that make sense? Lucasfilm comes with the entire Star Wars franchise (minus distribution rights to Episode IV), certain Indiana Jones rights, Industrial Light and Magic, Skywalker Sound, etc., whereas Pixar comes with... what? Disney *already* owned the sequel and merchandising rights to Pixar's first seven films, so what *else* did Pixar bring to the table that might compare to what Lucasfilm brings? (Is the discrepancy here due, perhaps, to the change in the economy since the Pixar sale took place six years ago?)

One other thing that occurred to me, re: the analogy some have tried to draw between this film and the Star Trek preboot. Star Trek was taken out of Gene Roddenberry's hands after the first movie (and it's up for debate how involved he was in the third season of the original TV series), and everyone agrees that Roddenberry had little to do with The Next Generation after the second season (and he died during its fifth season in any case). So there hasn't been a single vision shaping that franchise in decades, now; it's arguably a lot more malleable than Star Wars, which has reflected the mind of its creator, George Lucas, since day one (even if that mind has changed from time to time).

Does Lucasfilm actually consist of anything valuable besides a set of rights? What does the full-time staff of Lucasfilm consist of?

Does Lucasfilm actually consist of anything valuable besides a set of rights? What does the full-time staff of Lucasfilm consist of?

Industrial Light and Magic has a pretty impressive resume.

The problem with effects studios, though, is that they don't really generate much in the way of profits, and the benefits of effects studios' technology is available for rent anyway, so there isn't that much reason to own one.

Oh, it looks like I haven't posted this link yet:

- - -

Why The Disney/Lucasfilm Merger Hurts Artists and Creativity

Veteran animation artist Mark Mayerson has some of the most consistently enlightening perspectives on the business of animation, and his commentary on the Disney buyout of Lucasfilm is a must-read.

First, Mark explains why this purchase hurts animation artists in the Bay Area:

"If you happen to be somebody working in computer animation in the San Francisco Bay Area, there is now one less employer in the market. Pixar and ILM have been charged with collusion, cooperating to make sure that they didn’t hire employees from each other. Now they’re the same company and they can do what they like with hiring policies and pay scales."

If you’re unaware of the collusion charges, read about the case HERE. . . .

Cartoon Brew, October 30

Star Wars: Episode VII May Have Found Its Writer

Informed sources tell Vulture that Star Wars: Episode VII has found a leading candidate to write the film’s screenplay: Michael Arndt, the Pixar favorite who was nominated for an Oscar for Toy Story 3, won an Oscar for Little Miss Sunshine, and wrote The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which is currently shooting. Insiders confirm that Arndt has written a 40- to 50-page treatment for the film and is likely to be at least one of the writers when the Disney/Lucasfilm project begins shooting in 2014. . . .

Vulture, New York, November 8

Confirmed. It's Arndt.

I can hardly believe this.

Edited by Overstreet

Rumors are rising that Joe Johnston might direct. He's already connected to the series' history, and he's recently directed a complicated special-effects-heavy movie.

And then there's this:

Edited by Overstreet

Somehow the folks over at Conan O'brien managed to get ahold of several famous director's audition tapes, for possibly directing the new film.

There's also another one which I'd just as soon not put up... it can be found on youtube.

The idea of Fett making it out of the pit would be awesome. It's also plausible. Boba Fett was a resourceful kind of a guy, plus he DID have his armour on when he fell into the pit, this with all kinds of gadgets, not least of which is a jet pack.

In the early 80s Marvel comic, the Sarlaac got indigestion and belched him out.

The idea of Fett making it out of the pit would be awesome. It's also plausible. Boba Fett was a resourceful kind of a guy, plus he DID have his armour on when he fell into the pit, this with all kinds of gadgets, not least of which is a jet pack.

It's also canonical — in the story collection Tales from Jabba's Palace, one of the tales focuses on Fett and how he escapes from the Sarlaac's stomach. (Basically: boom.) Like the rest of the expanded universe material, it's "official."

(And yes, I'll break A&F radio silence to talk about Boba Fett.)

Edited by Jason Panella