Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

Overstreet

This web site posted a list of Episode 7 themed toys, and one of them is a Darth Vader mask. ? I think the toy line has always incorporated stuff from the previous films, so maybe this means nothing. But if this does relate to Ep. 7, it's going to be interesting to find out how Vader sprang back to life, leaped off the funeral pyre, and salvaged his helmet. Or maybe there will be flashbacks.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/01/star-wars-force-awakens-toy-line-reveals-return-major-character.html

Well... (minor spoilers ahead).

We do know from numerous pieces of production art that Vader's half-burned mask features in

The Force Awakens, though we don't have any reason to believe that it is actually worn by any of the characters.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This web site posted a list of Episode 7 themed toys, and one of them is a Darth Vader mask. ? I think the toy line has always incorporated stuff from the previous films, so maybe this means nothing. But if this does relate to Ep. 7, it's going to be interesting to find out how Vader sprang back to life, leaped off the funeral pyre, and salvaged his helmet. Or maybe there will be flashbacks.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/01/star-wars-force-awakens-toy-line-reveals-return-major-character.html

Well... (minor spoilers ahead).

We do know from numerous pieces of production art that Vader's half-burned mask features in

The Force Awakens, though we don't have any reason to believe that it is actually worn by any of the characters.

Wow, I had no idea. That toy list makes perfect sense then. I guess I need to brush up on my leaked production art.

I thought it was also established ages ago that this would be the first Star Wars movie with flashbacks, too.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucas says Disney/Abrams aren't using his treatments for Episode VII.

I imagine one day those treatments will get out, and then we'll have a comic-book adaptation like we recently saw for The Star Wars.

Also, Lucas has finally seen the trailer for The Force Awakens. His response: "I saw the trailer. I saw it in a theater because I don’t watch movies online. . . . Yeah, it was intriguing."

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

A plane Harrison Ford was piloting crashed on a golf course. Ford is in fair condition and only had moderate injuries; initial reports were saying he was in critical condition, because headlines.

But how's Chewie?????

Edited by winter shaker

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

This seems like as good a place as any for this anecdote: Something like 15 years ago, Suz had a dream that Harrison Ford crashed a plane into our house.

(Dream stories are usually boring, but the convergence here is weird, and there's a funny punchline.)

Suz had just read that Ford, as a pilot, had used a small local airport near our house, and I guess the idea of him flying overhead around our house was the impetus for the dream.

Anyway, in the dream, he was unhurt, but a media mob descended on our house, knowing that a plane had crashed but not knowing who the pilot was. And Suz and I wanted to help Ford avoid the embarrassment of being identified as the pilot, so we were going to disguise him.

So Suz says to me, "Quick, get a hat." And I say, "A hat, right," and I dash off to get a hat.

And I come back with a hat that I actually owned at the time — not an Indy style fedora, but a cinematic cousin: a hat of exactly the style Sam Neill wore in Jurassic Park.

And Suz was like, "Not that hat."

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Not sure if she'll make it into the film, but now Star Wars has its first "canonical" gay character!

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-star-wars-new-books-20150311-story.html

That means Star Wars beat Star Trek to the punch (no matter how one parses "canon," the Trek novels are generally less canon than the ones for Star Wars)--though Trek has had characters intended to be gay, they always swerved away at the last minute (case in point: First Contact). Given the essentially lefty-utopian bent of Trek and the ostensibly rightward tilt of Star Wars (at least, according to David Brin), this development is fairly interesting.

Edited by NBooth

Not sure if she'll make it into the film, but now Star Wars has its first "canonical" gay character!

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-star-wars-new-books-20150311-story.html

That means Star Wars beat Star Trek to the punch (no matter how one parses "canon," the Trek novels are generally less canon than the ones for Star Wars)--though Trek has had characters intended to be gay, they always swerved away at the last minute (case in point: First Contact). Given the essentially lefty-utopian bent of Trek and the ostensibly rightward tilt of Star Wars (at least, according to David Brin), this development is fairly interesting.

Which character in FIRST CONTACT was going to be gay?

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

The Borg. But then the evangelical fundamentalist screenwriter was removed from the project.

thank-you-thank-you-very-much-thumb.jpg

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

NBooth wrote:
: That means Star Wars beat Star Trek to the punch . . .

Not necessarily.

I was thinking Hawk, but Memory Alpha tells a different (though uncited) story:

While rumors have persisted that Lt. Hawk was originally intended to be Star Trek's first openly gay character, the producers of Star Trek: First Contact and actor Neal McDonough have denied this. (citation needed • edit) However, Hawk is indeed depicted as being gay in the novel Section 31: Rogue, which has been referenced again in the Star Trek: Titan novel series, where his partner, an unjoined Trill male named Ranul Keru, serves as the Titan's chief of security.

Other rumored almost-but-nah moments are Geordi Laforge and Malcolm Reed. I've also heard things about Garak and Bashir, but I can't find a link to share (though Garak is described by his actor as "omnisexual"--see here).

Peter, I think the Memory Alpha link is interesting, but I'm not sure how it counters my comment. There are, apparently, openly gay characters in the novels--but, as I said, they're even less canon/continuity than the Star Wars novels. It seems that, going by the "official" versions, we can assume that some characters are gay, but none are actually portrayed as such (I'm leaving out symbiotic relationships leading to situations like Kahn and Dax, though they're not irrelevant). This bit is telling, I think:

However, behind-the-scenes information suggests the lack of homosexual relationships on Star Trek is more plausibly explained by prevalent Western social taboos, as the television series and films tend to avoid addressing what it is like to be gay in the future. The production team over the years has stated that they do not want to create a "token" homosexual character for the express purpose of the issue, anymore than they want to create a black character purely to address racial issues. This explanation may be misleading. Star Trek did of course depict black characters, as would be expected simply because its vision of the future did not exclude black humans; whereas of its numerous depictions of sexual attraction, none happened to be truly same-sex. (citation needed • edit)

What's interesting to me about the Star Wars thing--well, one thing that's interesting--is that this character is [a] a woman (interesting because representations of female same-sex attraction seem to be more socially palatable), and a Moff, meaning she's part of the Empire--which seems significant, somehow (possibly for in-universe reasons and possibly from a reception standpoint). 

Big Shiny Robot (linked in the original link) has more:

Although this is the first character like this in the new canon, it is not the first same-sex relationship in "Star Wars." Most recently, Bioware added same gender relationships in "Star Wars: The Old Republic" online roleplaying game after an initial outcry from fans that they weren't included at launch. As far as the Expanded Universe was concerned, they were included in the now Legendary "Legacy of the Force" books. Karen Traviss included two Mandalorians, Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur, who were in a committed marriage. That reference was very subtle though, and some readers had even felt that they'd misinterpreted it, not realizing that they were reading about two gay Mandalorian men.

With Paul S. Kemp's "Lords of the Sith," there is no ambiguity whatsoever. 

Moff Mors is an Imperial who has made some very serious mistakes but she is an incredibly capable leader and spends much of the book working hard to prevent absolute failure. She also happens to be a lesbian.

So it's, um, not quite true that this is the first quasi-official gay character--but it is true that it's the first gay character in the New Canon, and the first ever to be openly stated as such.
Edited by NBooth

NBooth wrote:
: Peter, I think the Memory Alpha link is interesting, but I'm not sure how it counters my comment.

Well, right at the top, at least, it has those same-sex kisses... although most of those characters are Trills, so that complicates things.

NBooth wrote:

: Peter, I think the Memory Alpha link is interesting, but I'm not sure how it counters my comment.

Well, right at the top, at least, it has those same-sex kisses... although most of those characters are Trills, so that complicates things.

Yeah, the Trills constitute a special case--not irrelevant, as I said, but certainly not a particularly strong argument that Star Trek has included gay characters (or even bisexual characters).

• 5 weeks later...

The Digital HD release of the first six movies today marks the first time the saga was released by Disney, rather than Fox. Thus, it marks the first time the films have been released without the Fox fanfare. This is what has replaced them:

I am curious to see if this is what the upcoming films will use, or if they'll use something else to integrate the opening score with the Disney-logo music.

Is the Disney logo music still "When You Wish Upon a Star"? That could be...interesting.

Here's someone's concept of the traditional Disney theme re-done with some John Williams style brass...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLAlKvjBhQ

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Is the Disney logo music still "When You Wish Upon a Star"? That could be...interesting.

Here's someone's concept of the traditional Disney theme re-done with some John Williams style brass...

Doesn't help one bit. It's still Pinocchio and nothing else.

This means, I suppose, that even if Disney releases the fully original, Han-shot-first, unretouched trilogy (something I hope for as much as anyone, but feel skeptical about), the absence of the Fox fanfare means it still won't be the same as it originally was in theaters...and never will be.

Edited by Rushmore

I don't think they could delete the Fox fanfare from the *original* film, though (i.e. the one in which Han shoots Greedo). I'm pretty sure Fox *owns* that one, even if they let Disney distribute it, and that it is only the sequels and prequels that Lucasfilm (and thus Disney) owns outright.

I don't think they could delete the Fox fanfare from the *original* film, though (i.e. the one in which Han shoots Greedo). I'm pretty sure Fox *owns* that one, even if they let Disney distribute it, and that it is only the sequels and prequels that Lucasfilm (and thus Disney) owns outright.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but couldn't they still distribute it with the Fox fanfare and logo if Fox allowed them? How does this compare to the fact that the pre-1986 MGM catalogue is owned by Time Warner? New Blu-rays of THE WIZARD OF OZ still have the MGM roaring lion don't they? But I think Peter is right that the first film is still owned by Fox and would probably retain the fanfare and logo, perhaps with the Disney credits preceding the Fox ones now.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Most amazing revelation of today's Celebration event: 

My stars. BB-8 is not CGI. He's real. He just showed up on stage with J. J. Abrams and R2D2 at Star Wars Celebration. Most jaw-dropped practical-effects achievement I've seen since 1977.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Dang it. I don't want to be excited about this movie. But this trailer makes me feel fifteen all over again (that would be around the time AotC came out. Take that, oldsters!). In a good way. Not in the moody-teenager way. [The difference, of course, is that the Star Wars prequels, not being particularly good, have little value to me beyond the sentimental...and the fact that they're totally Freudian, which is a great trick to pull out at parties. So I'm not in for a crushing disappointment like folks where in 1999 when TPM evoked their teen years. Oh, and I grew up on the original trilogy, anyway]

Edited by NBooth

I just had a thought - what happens if more Star Wars novels are written and released that are in line with the events of the new movies? Will there be a separation between the old EU and the Disney universe? Will the people who now control the rights to future Star Wars productions be more careful or more discerning about what can be released in terms of plot, characters, etc...in new novels?

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals