Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

Overstreet

Well...

Carrie Fisher signed a recent autograph as "Mrs. Han Solo," so...

Good to know. And, of course, the comic takes place between ANH and ESB, so it may not even get a mention in the TFA. 

"I've got a bad feeling about this...".

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Heh. Jeffrey Wells would agree with you:

I hate to be the pain in the ass with all the Star Wars jubilation going on, but I wish that J.J. Abrams or someone on the team would begin to speak about the Episode 7 internals — tone, theme, story tension, etc. Comparisons to the original trilogy, if any. Is it more of a New Hope thing or in the vein of The Empire Strikes Back?  (They wouldn’t dare emulate Return of the Jedi or, God forbid, the prequels.). What’s the basic tale?  What are the stakes?  How much investment in psychological, character-driven stuff and how much straight action?  Did J.J. follow a whammy chart?Because all we’ve been hearing about for months is the purely visual boilerplate stuff — names, hardware, BB8, physical shooting aspects, VFX, etc.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Yes! Particularly when the emphasis on real sets and practical effects relies on the popular-but-false notion that what made the Prequels bad was CGI. What made the Prequels bad (insofar as they were) was undercooked scripts and poorly-directed actors. Poorly-directed actors standing sometimes in a green/bluescreen setting and often in a complete set. But, honestly, the worst scenes in the prequels occur between two actors on a physical set--in front of a fireplace on Naboo, for instance, or walking through the Senate halls spouting exposition.

Come to think of it, didn't they make a whole new Chewbacca costume for RotS? They did. So why is Mayhew so gleeful about getting a real costume? He's never not had a real costume.

Ok. I've ranted about this enough. It's a marketing ploy, a successful one, and I can respect that. But--as per Wells--all of this nonsense about how the new movie will be more "real" or whatever than the Prequel Trilogy plays off a fundamental misunderstanding of how the Prequels were made, what their failings were, and how best to move on from that. It's a focus on surface-level stuff.

The good news is that this new movie might lead to a re-appraisal of the Prequel Trilogy--a set of movies which ain't good, but which has its own peculiar charms and really doesn't deserve to be dismissed quite as harshly as it has been. OTOH, I suspect that SWVII will more likely have a Jurassic World-style success and everyone will ignore how hollow it is because omigod, real sets.

Or it could be brilliant. That's always a possibility until it isn't.

Edited by NBooth

Still from the upcoming film?

I've been listening to some podcasts with Chris Taylor, author of How Star Wars Conquered the Universe and it is getting me very excited about Episode 7. I even watched The Clone Wars movie (awful!). 

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

Ryan H. wrote:
: The Clone Wars film is dreadful, but the TV show of the same name is actually quite good.

Isn't the movie just three episodes of the TV show stitched together?

Ryan H. wrote:
: I think so. But the show changed direction after the film's release and the film was never broadcast as part of the show.

Were the three episodes that constituted the film never released even as individual episodes, then?

Ryan H. wrote:

: I think so. But the show changed direction after the film's release and the film was never broadcast as part of the show.

Were the three episodes that constituted the film never released even as individual episodes, then?

The film was never broken up into episodes, no. So the film technically does not count as part of the television series, even if it functions as a sort of pilot episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Wow, I just watched this Comic Con reel for the first time today (for some reason it's popping up in my Facebook feed), and I'm amazed at just how thoroughly George Lucas gets thrown under the bus with all those "finally--a return to real effects!" lines. I mean, dang. Isn't he still the executive producer on this or something?

No, Lucas has nothing to do with the new film. He's already talked about how they ignored his notes for the next trilogy, and how for the first time in his life he's going to be just like all the other fans: discovering the story for the first time when the film comes out.

• 1 month later...

Ok, it's pretty. It's also terrifically unimaginative. "Look! Totally-not-Darth-Vader and totally-not-the-Death-Star! We're returning to the stuff you love about Star Wars!"

My early enthusiasm is seriously depleted now. Ryan pointed out on FB that Ridley is center-stage, and I do like that--since having a female central character (I mean in the Anakin-Luke mold) would be a major departure for the franchise.But otherwise--eh. 

Yeah, no amount of "Vader fanboy" explanation will change the fact that Kylo Ren looks like something you'd pick up at the dollar store in a package marked STAR BATTLES.

I'm doing a bit of soul-searching right now to see if I'm guilty of some sort of prejudgement here; certainly everyone on my FB feed seems over-the-moon excited about this trailer, while I sit here watching it (multiple times) and wondering what in the world I'm missing. It's got some pretty shots (particularly the first few with the scavenging stuff) and it's got Han and Leia, but it feels less exciting than some fan trailers I've seen in the past.

It's also frustrating how little the trailer reveals about anything except the general aesthetics they've been harping on for forever. I mean, even the trailer to The Phantom Menace reveals more of the storyline:

...which reminds me that I should really do a re-watch of the series before TFA opens.