Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

The Han-Leia-Luke love triangle was a *huge* part of the first two films (and even more so when you take some of the deleted scenes from The Empire Strikes Back into account). Luke's sexuality may or may not extend beyond an attraction to women, but it certainly does not preclude it.

26 minutes ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Han-Leia-Luke love triangle was a *huge* part of the first two films (and even more so when you take some of the deleted scenes from The Empire Strikes Back into account). Luke's sexuality may or may not extend beyond an attraction to women, but it certainly does not preclude it.

Perhaps Luke is bit more like another warrior...

Jack D. Ripper.jpg

I wonder if she'll be doing a handstand and levitating rocks and droids while Luke sits on her foot in Episode VIII.

Here is a great visual essay on why The Force Awakens is an effective contribution to Star Wars:

It's a colossal misreading of the Prequels to think that they equate love with the Dark Side (or, more properly, that they deliver the final word on that subject because they're prequels), but yeah. That video makes me want to watch The Force Awakens again.

Edited by NBooth

NBooth wrote:
: It's a colossal misreading of the Prequels to think that they equate love with the Dark Side . . .

Wow, no kidding. (And it wasn't just *romantic* love that Anakin wrestled with; his first glimmerings of the Dark Side -- fear, anger, etc. -- are linked to his love for his mother.)

I can't say this video sells me on The Force Awakens' greatness, though. A number of things the video cites as examples of the movie's greatness are actually "meh" at best to me.

Third viewing tonight. The first thirty minutes or so are really quite good. The rest is...less good. Good stuff there, but not really an enjoyable movie (and the claustrophobic cinematography is even more pronounced on the small screen). I'm inclined at this point to say that The Force Awakens is exactly as forgettable as Jurassic World.

Not to quibble or anything, but this is kind of an odd thread to report on Baker's death, given that this is the only live-action Star Wars film to date in which he did *not* play R2-D2. (I wasn't aware of the fact that someone else played Artoo in this film until the reports of Baker's death came, which mentioned how his health had been failing for the last few years. I got curious as to whether he had been involved in The Force Awakens during this time, and apparently he wasn't, except as a "consultant".)

I shared this a while back, but I think the video was taken down. So here it is again: practical effects, my eye.

8 minutes ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

Wait, you mean the Simon Pegg character was *digital* and not just a puppet/mask?

That's the impression I got from the clip. Unless he's some combination of puppetry and digital stuff, but I didn't see anything to indicate that.

Edited by NBooth

Seems to me that he was practical effects with some CGI tweeking.

They put him in a rubber mask and then replaced the rubber mask with a digital mask.

But y'know, actual *people* get digital touch-ups all the time to make them look more cosmetically appealing in films. I'd like to see some VFX demo reels of *that*.

3 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

But y'know, actual *people* get digital touch-ups all the time to make them look more cosmetically appealing in films. I'd like to see some VFX demo reels of *that*.

I'd like to know the extent to which it is done.

You knew it had to come out sooner or later.  Mr. Plinkett's Star Wars: The Force Awakens review debuted yesterday.  Definitely NSFW, and not for all tastes. And yes, you're reading that right, the review is 1 hour and 45 minutes long.

Good lord, this person is still doing these insufferable "reviews?" Thanks, I'll pass.

I only had time to watch the first 20 minutes or so, but I thought he had a few good points and surrounded them with LOTS of pointless distractions.

(Among the good points: the way he contrasts the video interview George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy did immediately after the sale of Lucasfilm, talking about how Lucas was going to stick around as a "keeper of the flame", with the video interview George Lucas did when The Force Awakens came out a couple years later, saying Disney had thrown out all of his ideas and he figured he should keep his distance from Star Wars the way you keep your distance from an ex-spouse when you get divorced. I remember seeing both of those interviews when they happened, but hadn't thought to juxtapose them like that.)

And he spends way, way too much time debunking that ridiculous "ring theory" of the Star Wars franchise.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway