Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)

John Powers, who runs the fantastic blog, Star Wars Modern, has these thoughts on EPISODE VII.

I particularly love the insight of the last paragraph, which I think speaks to some of the strengths of the Star Wars saga over other space operas:

The broader conflict that this scenario sets into action is a struggle that is particular to Star Wars, one that is different from other space operas. Rather than an alien race that is a stand in for Russians, the Chinese, or some other external threat, the existential threat to the Star WarsUniverse is always internal. While the Star Wars universe is peopled by all sorts of alien races, and plenty of them are villainous, the face of evil is always human, and the core of the threat is always within. This is the second immovable part, screw this up and we'll have two Star Trek reboots.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Since Fincher's first film credit is on RETURN OF THE JEDI, that would be an interesting choice.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I can see Fincher making a good Star Wars movie. He'd be able to give it the gravitas that I think the franchise really need right now.

Fincher's name is popping up here and there now.

So how long before we can start making "What's in the box" jokes?

Not long...

WHAT'S IN THE CAVE?!?!?!

cave.png

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Is Vader coming back?

I'm hoping against hope that this is a false report, or that it will turn out to be something along the lines of what John Powers suggested, that Luke ends up putting on the Vader mask. If Darth Vader is really "coming back"...well, I would take it as a strong indication that this is being treated as a cash cow rather than as an opportunity to make bold storytelling choices.

The thing is. If Vader is to rise from the ashes as the report says, he'd have to rise as a good guy. Right? So what would/could they do with *that* kind of a Vader?

Rushmore wrote:

: Is Vader coming back?

Old rumour. Very old rumour.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Emperor cloned him while he was still bad.

Wait, did they not already do that in the EU? Because, from my understanding, that would make Vader the only major character who wasn't cloned at some point....

Could Ewan McGregor return as Obi Wan?

The article also mentions Lucas has/had plans for 3 more movies.

he'd given them the storylines for the last three, which he always planned to do, but he was never going to make them," Ewan told Access. "Because he felt like that would be his life's work and he wanted to do other things.
Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Could Ewan McGregor return as Obi Wan?

The article also mentions Lucas has/had plans for 3 more movies.

he'd given them the storylines for the last three, which he always planned to do, but he was never going to make them," Ewan told Access. "Because he felt like that would be his life's work and he wanted to do other things.

I find it interesting that McGregor and Samuel L. Jackson, arguably the biggest names in the prequels and the two who probably have the least to gain by appearing in yet more Star Wars movies, have both expressed such enthusiasm for appearing in the new films.

It's around 550 posts short of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and Tree of Life (I think those are the longest movie threads), and over a thousand behind Lost. But the movie is still 2 and half years away, so there's plenty of time to catch up.

Twitter Blog

Tor.com's Ryan Britt on the subtext of the Lucas-Kennedy interviews:

There’s something weirdly Philip K. Dick-like about these philosophical platitudes, to the point where it feels sort of like a very carefully designed propaganda message. Now, I don’t actually think it is propaganda. I don’t actually believe Lucas or Kennedy are cynical, evil, plotting people. Instead, they just exist in this world where vague pop philosophy is commonly paired with big business decisions. Where once Lucas could have styled himself a filmmaker, now his predominant identity is as an executive.

There's also this:

However, there is one, extremely instructive comment made by Kathleen Kennedy in the second video when she says “This is not (emphasis mine) a series of books like Harry Potter, we’re you’ve already got a template.” I like this, because Lucas basically has to sit there and agree, despite the fact he’s has been constantly trying to convince us for the past 15 years that he always knew the story of Star Wars. Now, his new “keeper of the flame” is essentially saying that’s not true. Star Wars is whatever it wants to be and what’s great about it is that she wraps it up in a genuine compliment to Lucas. She’s actually thanking him for letting her do it.

The conclusion:

Kathleen Kennedy is the Emperor to the Anakin Skywalker that George Lucas left limbless after Episode III. She’s giving Star Wars another chance at life and what remains now is to see if it will keep breathing.

I'm not sure this merits its own thread until it becomes a real thing. But it's interesting.

"Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star WarsFilm Outside the New Trilogy"

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I'm not sure this merits its own thread until it becomes a real thing. But it's interesting.

The Seven Samurai in space? Isn't that just Battle Beyond the Stars?

More to the point--is there any chance we can get Robert Vaughn in on this?

I just watched "Battle Beyond the Stars" the other night on Netflix. What a delightfully cheesy film!

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Or he's not.

But in an exclusive statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Snyder's spokesperson says: "While he is super-flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars. He is currently in post on his two films, Man of Steel and 300: Battle of Artemisia.

That means no Episode VII, VIII or IX and no offshoot movies, the rep confirms.

Twitter Blog