Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2013: Best Animated Short

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cartoon Brew reports that, while 33 films qualified for this award in 2010 and 45 in 2011, there are now a whopping 57 that qualify for this award in 2012.

The full list is here.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The shortlist:

• "Adam and Dog," Minkyu Lee, director (Lodge Films)
  • "Combustible," Katsuhiro Otomo, director (Sunrise Inc.)
  • "Dripped," Léo Verrier, director (ChezEddy)
  • "The Eagleman Stag," Mikey Please, director, and Benedict Please, music scores and sound design (Royal College of Art)
  • "The Fall of the House of Usher," Raul Garcia, director, and Stephan Roelants, producer (Melusine Productions, R&R Communications Inc., Les Armateurs, The Big Farm)
  • "Fresh Guacamole," PES, director (PES)
  • "Head over Heels," Timothy Reckart, director, and Fodhla Cronin O’Reilly, producer (National Film and Television School)
  • "Maggie Simpson in “The Longest Daycare”," David Silverman, director (Gracie Films)
  • "Paperman," John Kahrs, director (Disney Animation Studios)
  • "Tram," Michaela Pavlátová, director, and Ron Dyens, producer (Sacrebleu Productions)

Between three and five of these films will be nominated for the award in January.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only two of these films have had wide releases -- Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare played before Ice Age 4, and Paperman is currently playing before Wreck-It Ralph. Notably missing from this list: Tangled Ever After, which played before Beauty and the Beast 3D in January, and apparently wasn't on the longlist (never mind the shortlist) either this year or last year. (La Luna, which played before Brave this year, was nominated for this award *last* year.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Annie Awards have nominated the following eight films for Best Animated Short; only two of them (marked in bold) are also on the Oscars' short list:

• Brad and Gary (Illumination/Universal)
  • Bydlo (NFB)
  • Eyes On The Stars (StoryCorps)
  • Goodnight Mr Foot (Sony Animation)
  • Kali The Little Vampire (NFB)
  • Paperman (Disney)
  • Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare (20th Century-Fox)
  • The Simpsons – Bill Plympton Couch Gag (20th Century-Fox)

FWIW, I haven't looked into how often the Annies and the Oscars have lined up in this category.

Vote!

Time to post clips from all five nominees. First, the two short films that many of us have probably already seen (because they played in front of Wreck-It Ralph and Ice Age 4 -- hey, wait, wasn't there a short film before Brave, too?):

NBooth wrote:

: There was.

Ah, right. It was one of *last* year's nominees. How quickly I forget.

Anyway, next up, here are trailers for two of the more obscure nominees (though they both look pretty good!):

And finally, what looks like an entire, complete (albeit short) film!:

http://youtu.be/FQMO6vjmkyI

So that's one *more* Oscar nominee I can cross off my to-see list, I guess!

Okay, make that *two* nominees in this category that are now online in their entirety (well, as entire as they can be without going 3D, at any rate).

http://youtu.be/aTLySbGoMX0

The Annie Awards have nominated the following eight films for Best Animated Short;

And the winner is... Paperman!

And now another nominee is online in its entirety! (Warning: there is some Adam-and-Eve-style nudity.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq0-i8GQbgw

Oh, right. Adam and Dog actually won the Annie Award for Best Animated Short one year ago. I wonder why it had to wait an extra year for the Oscar nomination.

I was kinda worried about where Adam & Dog was going until Eve showed up 2/3 of the way through. Not really. But sort of. I didn't expect the turn in the third act, but it was cool to see that part of the story included.

I don't keep up with YEC or AiG people much anymore, so I'm not sure, but would they have an issue with rain before the Flood? I remember hearing an explanation (based on Gen. 1:6-8, I think) that there was a water canopy in the sky that meant rain didn't start until then.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Just realized one other interesting thing: Adam and Dog won the Annie award last year, and Paperman just won it this year... so there are *two* Annie award winners vying for the Oscar this year (in addition to the other three Oscar nominees). I don't know if this has ever happened before -- nor, for that matter, do I know what sort of predictive value the Annies have in general in this category -- but it would be interesting to check.

*** SPOILERS ***

Tyler wrote:

: I didn't expect the turn in the third act, but it was cool to see that part of the story included.

Totally. That turn actually makes the cartoon, for me. It's so weirdly counter-intuitive to find yourself thinking, "Wait, does this animal love/accept humans more than God does?" And then, of course, you think about the fact that the love of animals is limited in a way that higher forms of love are not, because animals don't have the same kind of knowledge or awareness of the world that humans (and gods) do. And who knows, maybe you could even look at the dog's ongoing friendship as a sign that God, through his creations, had not abandoned humanity quite as entirely as Adam and Eve might have thought at that point.

Anyway. After writing my little rant earlier today about The Bible and all the promotional guff about how "accurate" and "exciting" that mini-series will be, I was ecstatic to find a quieter, more thoughtful, and decidedly *not* accurate (instead, it's quite creative!) take on this particular Bible story.

Oh, look, the one nominee I hadn't seen yet is online, too (at least until February 24; after that, they might yank it off the internet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHs3Pe32b8Q

So now I've seen all five nominees, and I've posted four of them in this very thread. As for the fifth, i.e. Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare, the 2D version can apparently be streamed here. (I have no idea how legit that last website is, but The Hollywood Reporter linked to it, so...)

It's so weirdly counter-intuitive to find yourself thinking, "Wait, does this animal love/accept humans more than God does?" And then, of course, you think about the fact that the love of animals is limited in a way that higher forms of love are not, because animals don't have the same kind of knowledge or awareness of the world that humans (and gods) do. And who knows, maybe you could even look at the dog's ongoing friendship as a sign that God, through his creations, had not abandoned humanity quite as entirely as Adam and Eve might have thought at that point.

It's also pretty devastating how the short introduces death for the first time. You know the dog can't understand it, but all of a sudden, without being given any specifics, something is wrong and out of place ... out of sync with the rest of the story. This isn't the sort of reflection that I would expect from an Oscar nominated short, but I really really like the last scene at the end.

It's a beautiful little film isn't it.

Interviews with the directors of Adam and Dog, and Fresh Guacamole.

Having seen Adam and Dog, Paperman, and Head over Heels, between those three I'd have to give my vote to Paperman. As much as I loved the other two, Paperman was an exquisite blend of innovation, sentiment, and traditional animation. Just stunning.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I got curious to see how much overlap there has been between the Annies in this category (which was created in 1995) and the Oscars -- and it turns out, not much. Part of the reason is that the Annies seem to be open to shorts made for TV (and music videos, etc.) in a way that the Oscars are not. But the two awards also seem to have very different rules for eligibility; below is a list of all the films that have been nominated for both awards, and it's striking how often they have been nominated in different years (sometimes the Annie one year and the Oscar the next year, and sometimes vice versa):

• Geri's Game - won Annie in 1998, won Oscar in 1997
  • Redux Riding Hood - nominated for Annie in 1998, nominated for Oscar in 1997
  • More - nominated for Annie in 1999, nominated for Oscar in 1998
  • For the Birds - won Annie in 2000, won Oscar in 2001
  • Rejected - nominated for Annie in 2001, nominated for Oscar in 2000
  • Stubble Trouble - nominated for Annie and Oscar in 2001
  • Boundin' - won Annie in 2003, nominated for Oscar in 2003
  • Destino - nominated for Annie and Oscar in 2003
  • Nibbles - nominated for Annie and Oscar in 2003
  • Lorenzo - won Annie in 2004, nominated for Oscar in 2004
  • Ryan - nominated for Annie in 2004, won Oscar in 2004
  • The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation - nominated for Annie in 2005, won Oscar in 2005
  • No Time for Nuts - won Annie in 2006, nominated for Oscar in 2006
  • A Matter of Loaf and Death - won Annie in 2008, nominated for Oscar in 2009
  • Presto - nominated for Annie and Oscar in 2008
  • Day & Night - won Annie in 2010, nominated for Oscar in 2010
  • Adam and Dog - won Annie in 2011, nominated for Oscar in 2012
  • La Luna - nominated for Annie and Oscar in 2011
  • Dimanche (aka Sunday) - nominated for Annie and Oscar in 2011
  • Wild Life - nominated for Annie and Oscar in 2011
  • Paperman - won Annie in 2012, nominated for Oscar in 2012
  • Maggie Simpson in The Longest Daycare - nominated for Annie and Oscar in 2012

In any case, it looks like this year *does* mark the first time that two Annie winners will have competed for the Oscar at the same time (said winners being Adam and Dog and Paperman).

Having seen Adam and Dog, Paperman, and Head over Heels, between those three I'd have to give my vote to Paperman. As much as I loved the other two, Paperman was an exquisite blend of innovation, sentiment, and traditional animation. Just stunning.

Paperman was stunning, do doubt. I still have to go with Adam and Dog though. It's an incredible film.